Quick one pan fried trout fillet recipe to enjoy with a good glass of wine.
What is a trout fish and why is the meat white or orange?
The trout originated in the North American East Coast but was introduced in 1800 in the rest of the world.
Various species exist with the most well known called the rainbow trout and the steelhead trout.
The trout is related to the salmon fish and that is why some trouts appear deep orange in color.
Other trout varieties have a white filet color.
Yet the color of a trout can vary immensely and depends too on what the fish feeds on.
For example, trouts in hatcheries are at times fed orange color pigments so that they sell better in the market.
The same has been done with salmon fish.
The color of a trout can vary by region in the world too.
Trouts in North America can be deep orange to light pink.
Trouts on the European and Asian continent tend to be white to pinkish in color.
How to cook trout fillet?
To prepare this amazing trout recipe, follow the simple process instructions.
The recipe card at the bottom includes all details such as the ingredients and complete instructions.
Rinse your trout to get rid of any impurities and tap dry.
Season your fish with salt, black pepper, and herbs.
Heat up a pan with the oil and butter and wait for the oil to get hot enough.
Cook your onion slices in the oil.
Place your trout fillet with the skin side down into the pan and cook on one side first.
Carefully flip your fish filet so that it doesn’t break.
Cook the other side of the filet through on a medium to high heat for about 3 minutes or until cooked through but moist.
How to serve this trout fillet?
We serve up this cooked trout fillet with garlic or buttered parsley potatoes.
Rice or ebly (wheatberries) are great accompaniments to this fish dish.
Serving lemon rice with this trout fillet is a great idea too.
I love to have a salad at the side too such as a simple green salad, carrot salad or a cucumber salad. (see salad section in the sidebar)
Drizzle some freshly squeezed lemon juice over the fish to bring out all the delicious flavors of your trout.
And don’t forget to keep a glass of wine around!
A glass of cooled white wine or a good rose make this meal all the more special.
More Seafood recipes:
- Homemade Fish sticks with herbs
- Whole roasted trout by everyday-delicious.com
- Salmon in parchment
- Shrimp Scampi with Asparagus
- Pesto grilled Alaska halibut steak by fearlessdining.com
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
Pan Fried Trout Fillet Recipe
- Rinse your fish fillet if necessary and tap dry.
- Season your trout fillet with the salt, black pepper, and Italian (or pizza) seasoning.
- Heat up a large skillet with the oil and butter.
- Sautee your onion slices. Cook translucent.
- Place your trout into the pan over the onion slices, skin side down and cook for about 3 minutes on medium to high heat.
- Carefully turn your trout fillet in the pan to cook the other side of the fish. Cook again on high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Take from the heat and serve the fish fillet when still warm with a side dish.
- Trout fillet can be orange or white in color. It depends on the fish variety, where the fish came from and what the fish ate.
- The onions in the pan help in pan frying the fish filet. The oil doesn’t jump out that much if you place the fish on the onion to cook.
- I use oil and butter mixed because olive oil alone is to boring in taste and butter alone tends to evaporate too easily.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.