Creamy flavorful chicken marsala, served up with an elegant quick and easy to prepare mushroom sauce for dinner.
This is a great date night, one pan skillet, low carb/keto chicken recipe! (yep all that)
This creamy chicken marsala with mushrooms was kind of inspired by the olive garden dish.
So, in a way, it’s a copycat recipe but I wanted to stay true to the classic Italian version, making this the best chicken marsala in my humble opinion.
What is chicken marsala?
Chicken Marsala is an Italian chicken dish that comes with a marsala wine gravy.
The authentic Italian dish is a variety of chicken scallopini, which uses a thinly sliced flour-coated boneless chicken breast.
The Italian-American chicken marsala can be prepared with chicken tighs too and is frequently served over pasta.
Chicken Marsala shouldn’t be confused with Chicken Masala. The latter is an Indian curry dish.
What is marsala wine?
Marsala Wine comes from a place called Marsala in Sicily, Italy.
The wine can have a deep and strong aroma, with acidic and/ or very sweet notes.
You can get white or red marsala wines but the red one is more common.
The best wine is a dry marsala wine when making this dish. A sweet one will set the flavors off.
How to make chicken marsala with a mushroom sauce?
The homemade chicken marsala dish is a one-pan meal and it’s easy to make it from scratch with fresh ingredients!
See how it’s done quickly with my 3 step preview below.
Get all the ingredients and instruction details in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Cut chicken breast into two slices and coat with seasoned flour blend.
Heat up a pan with oils and cook chicken on all sides. Keep aside.
Build the sauce in the same pan by sauteeing the garlic and mushroom slices.
Pour in marsala wine, stock and cream to thicken your mushroom gravy.
Take chicken back to the pan and place into sauce.
Cover chicken with sauce and mushrooms and garnish with chopped parsley.
What goes with your chicken marsala?
This chicken marsala recipe with mushrooms and sauce can be served with the following side dishes:
- pasta noodles of your choice
- potatoes such as parsley potatoes
- mixed steamed vegetables
- pan sauteed or roasted asparagus
- mashed potatoes
- green beans
- polenta (my secret favorite)
Check out my side dish section on the blog for recipe ideas.
Yes, you can. Just prepare the dish as described in the recipe, place it into freezer-friendly containers and into your freezer. When you want to use it, just thaw it overnight in the fridge or in the oven. Slowly heat up but not cook, just so that the meat is hot, or else the chicken will get tough.
No, chicken marsala is Italian because marsala wine is the main ingredient. A similarly named Indian dish is the chicken masala (without the “r” in the word).
Yes, you can make it ahead. Just prepare the dish as described in the recipe card. Place into meal prep containers and into the fridge. Carefully warm up your chicken when you want to eat it so that the meat doesn’t turn out tough. It can be stored for up to 5 days.
Use fresh mushrooms of your choice. Avoid canned mushrooms. I like to use button mushrooms or chanterelle (those are fancy). Use what you can get locally and what is in season.
More Recipes like this
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
Chicken Marsala with Mushrooms Recipe
For the Chicken
For the Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 11.3 ounces Mushrooms fresh, sliced
- 1 cup Marsala Wine
- Salt pinch
- ½ cup Chicken Stock or Broth
- ⅓ cup Liquid Cream
- Parsley fresh, chopped
For the Chicken:
- Prepare your chicken breast by cutting each breast into two slices lengthwise.
- In a shallow bowl combine all-purpose flour, salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning or oregano.
- Drag chicken slices through the seasoned flour and coat chicken on all sides. Keep aside
- Heat up a pan with the olive oil and add the butter as well. Allow the oils to get hot.
- When the oil is hot enough (but not smoking) place chicken slices into the pan.
- Flip and cook chicken slices golden on all slides. Keep aside.
For The Sauce:
- Reduce the heat of the pan and add your butter to build the sauce.
- Add chopped fresh garlic and sautee for a minute over medium heat.
- Add your sliced mushrooms to the pan and mix it up quickly. Cook mushrooms, they will lose liquids and reduce in size.
- Deglaze by pouring the marsala wine over the mushrooms. Keep a steady heat.
- Season with salt, mix and cook for a minute or two.
- Pour in the chicken stock and liquid cream. Combine all ingredients over medium heat. Reduce the sauce so that it thickens.
- Turn off heat and place cooked chicken back into the still-hot sauce. Cover chicken with sauce and mushrooms.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy hot with a side fo your choice (see post for ideas).
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.