Sometimes I have the impression that the only common meat type is chicken in Goa. If you walk down the cooler meat aisle in a store here, you will see a whole lots of different ready cut and packed chicken products. Whole chicken, chicken drumsticks, chicken breasts, chicken kheema, chicken skinless,…. you name it! No beef, no lamb and don’t even think of pork or wild game, that’s too much asked. Chicken is obviously omnipresent next to seafood in Goa but if you travel to certain places in India, you will be surprised that meat is by far less common. Ok, of course not every where but I recall some holy places who had a black market for meat products. A funny thought right?
So because chicken is way more popular here and commonly eaten by Christians, Hindus and Muslims alike, I end up sharing more chicken recipes. I enjoy western as well as Indian style chicken recipes so I try my best to share from both colorful cooking worlds and today it’s a western chicken with mushroom white wine cream sauce’s turn.
-> Get the free Masala Herb Newsletter
This recipe was inspired by one of our more traditional recipes in Austria, the hunter’s schnitzel (Jägerschnitzel) which is basically a natural non breaded schnitzel cooked in a creamy paprika mushroom sauce. Schnitzel in all it’s forms in Austria or Germany is always either pork or beef meat, compared to the Israeli schnitzel which calls for chicken breasts. I wanted to find a way for others, who follow a more limited food diet, to enjoy the flavors of this mushroom sauce and so I got busy developing this recipe.
Mushroom always goes well with chicken as it does with beef so substituting the meat in the recipe was rather easy. The Sauce itself is always a bit differently made by everybody back in Europe but I have been following my own version for some time now which involves some sweet paprika powder to elevate the flavors in the dish.
While preparing the ingredients for the cooking process, choose a good white wine which isn’t too bitter nor too sweet. In Austria they usually choose a Riesling, so you might like to try it with this white wine type. Of course a glass or two while enjoying your homemade chicken with mushroom white wine cream sauce is recommended and you can serve the chicken dish with butter potatoes or rice.
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 1 big Onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 40 grams green Capsicum (Bell pepper)
- 200 grams Button Mushrooms
- 1½ Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 80 milliliter White Wine
- 100 milliliter liquid Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Sweet Paprika Powder
- Salt according to your taste
- Black Pepper according to your taste
- 20 milliliter Water
- Wash and pat dry your chicken breasts. Cut them lengthwise into thin slices and season with salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken slices.
- Peel, rinse and chop your onion small and garlic cloves, wash and slice the capsicum into thin smaller pieces and wash your mushrooms, discard the stems of the mushroom and cut into smaller slices.
- Heat up the Olive oil in a pan and fry your onion first translucent. Then add the garlic and capsicum pieces and stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until they are a bit cooked. Then add the mushroom and mix the whole content on slow to medium heat.
- Allow the mushrooms to cook and while doing that they will release water. Cook until nearly dry and then deglaze by adding the whole white wine. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer and add the cream.
- Season with the Paprika, some salt and black pepper and mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until you see the sauce getting thicker and then add the water.
- Push the mushroom etc to the sides of the pan and place all the chicken slices into the pan. Cover the chicken slices with the mushroom mixture and place a lid over your pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes on medium heat and then close the heat but keep the lid for 5-8 minutes more. The chicken will be nice moist and cooked enough.
- Serve with butter potatoes or rice.
Do you cook mostly with chicken or also with other meat types?
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Dandelion Jelly – Dandelion honey - April 25, 2019
- Mexican Corn Black Bean Salad Recipe - April 24, 2019
- Mexican Seasoning – Taco Seasoning Recipe Spice Blend [DIY] - April 23, 2019