Take on Hunter's Schnitzel
This recipe was inspired by one of our more traditional recipes in Austria, the hunter's schnitzel (Jägerschnitzel).
This is a natural non breaded schnitzel cooked in a creamy paprika mushroom sauce.
Schnitzel in all it's forms in Austria or Germany is always either pork or beef.
So if it is to be compared to the Israeli schnitzel, which calls for chicken breasts.
I wanted to find a way for others, who follow a more limited food diet, to enjoy the flavors of this mushroom sauce.
So here is my take on developing this recipe.
Mushroom always goes well with chicken as it does with beef so substituting the meat in the recipe was rather easy.
The sauce itself is always a bit different made by everybody back in Europe.
I have been following my own version for some time now which involves some sweet paprika powder to elevate the flavors in the dish.
Which white wine to choose?
While preparing the ingredients for the cooking process, choose a good white wine which isn't too bitter nor too sweet.
In Austria they usually use a Riesling, so you might like to try it with this white wine type.
Of course, a glass or two while enjoying your homemade chicken with mushroom white wine cream sauce is recommended.
As an accompaniment to this chicken dish, you can serve some butter potatoes or rice.
More Mushroom and Chicken recipes
Do you cook mostly with chicken or also with other meat types?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Chicken with Mushroom White Wine Cream Sauce
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 1 big Onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 40 grams green Capsicum Bell pepper
- 200 grams Button Mushrooms
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 80 milliliter White Wine
- 100 milliliter Liquid Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Sweet Paprika Powder
- Salt according to your taste
- Black Pepper according to your taste
- 20 milliliter Water
- Wash and pat dry your chicken breasts. Cut them lengthwise into thin slices and season with salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken slices.
- Peel, rinse and chop your onion small and garlic cloves, wash and slice the capsicum into thin smaller pieces and wash your mushrooms, discard the stems of the mushroom and cut into smaller slices.
- Heat up the Olive oil in a pan and fry your onion first translucent. Then add the garlic and capsicum pieces and stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until they are a bit cooked. Then add the mushroom and mix the whole content on slow to medium heat.
- Allow the mushrooms to cook and while doing that they will release water. Cook until nearly dry and then deglaze by adding the whole white wine. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer and add the cream.
- Season with the Paprika, some salt and black pepper and mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until you see the sauce getting thicker and then add the water.
- Push the mushroom etc to the sides of the pan and place all the chicken slices into the pan. Cover the chicken slices with the mushroom mixture and place a lid over your pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes on medium heat and then close the heat but keep the lid for 5-8 minutes more. The chicken will be nice moist and cooked enough.
- Serve with butter potatoes or rice.