Sweet pear preserves might turn you obsessed this season.
This easy to prepare homemade pear jam recipe, with vanilla and without pectin, is my favorite winter jam.
You can make this pear preserves and use it in so many ways.
Read about it’s uses and get the detailed step by step picture recipe below.
The joys of a homemade Pear Preserve
The time might be right for you to let go after a long day at work.
You come home, have dinner and then decide you need a treat as a motivation helper.
You just want to enjoy, be in the now and this can be achieved with a few spoonfuls of jam preserve mixed in some fresh yogurt.
The traces of vanilla infused pear jam mixing up into your creamy fresh yogurt will definitely make you forget everything that happened in the last hours.
The pear preserves is that insanely good!
The aromatic preserve is a little delicacy which you have earned yourself.
Either in the way I just overly exaggeratedly described, or you might consider helping your moody self in the morning by spreading some pear jam with vanilla flavor over your slice of bread.
Pear preserve is a useful way of storing all the fruity goodness past the winter season.
I add a Vanilla bean for each kilogram of fruit to this recipe.
Jam setting temperature is 105 Celsius/220 Fahrenheit.
Test if Jam is running by adding a drop of hot jam on a cold plate or spoon (kept in the freezer).
The jam is ready when it’s not running.
Keep in mind that jam tends to look liquid when hot, it gets harder when it cools.
Pear Preserve Ingredients
The Vanilla bean added in the cooking process is dark brown and still soft, it features a deep bourbon vanilla flavor.
I believe these vanilla beans literally reflect the state’s character where it got to grow carefully over years.
In that particular case the Eco vanilla bean hailed from Kerala, South India.
I use firm and juicy William pears for this jam, which are perfect for preserves.
My pear jam preserve consists only of three ingredients and is made without pectin.
It’s more natural that way and you can store it for months without issues.
The non-inclusion of water helps in preserving jam much longer.
Just make sure that you follow my tip with the alcohol drop in the jam cap.
This helps in preserving it in the long run.
Keep your sealed glass of jam in a dry, dark and cool place.
Store the opened pear preserve jar always in the fridge!
Jam making tools
- Jam pan (copper ones preferably)
- wooden spoon with a long handle
- sterilized Mason Jars with
- jar tongs
More Winter Jams 🍯
More Vanilla flavors:
Dear Reader, how will you enjoy this pear preserves?
Pear Preserves – Pear Jam with Vanilla Recipe
- 2.2 Pounds Pears peeled and cut into chunks
- 25.5 ounces Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- Peel, quarter and cut the pears into chunks. Place the fruit pieces into a big jam cooking pot and add in the sugar. Slit open a vanilla bean and scratch out with a butter knife or small spoon the vanilla bean paste of small black spots. Add the paste and the whole vanilla bean to the pot with the other ingredients and mix it all well.
- Keep the pot with the fruits on the stove, cook on slow heat for about 45 mins, while stirring frequently, until you can see a rolling boil (lots of foam too!). At that point the jam should be ready and you can take it from the heat. Test if the jam is set by dropping a drop of the preserve on a cold spoon, the jam is ready if it doesn’t run. If it runs, keep the jam for some more time to cook on low heat and repeat the test until you have the correct consistency.
- Then smash the fruit pieces with a masher or hand blender. I like to keep a few fruit pieces to give the jam some character. Fill the jam into clean jars.
- You need to place a few drops of rum or vodka into the clean jar lids so to kill any germs. This will help the jam to preserve for a longer period. Once sealed, turn the jars up side down, keep them that way for a few hours. Then store the pear preserves in a cool, dry and dark place. Store the unsealed preserves in the fridge!
- You can use other pear varieties too. for example Royal Riviera Pear variety.
- 1 serving = 1 Teaspoon. 70 servings comes to about 3 Jars.