Add this Persimmon jam without pectin recipe to your to do list this autumn!
Learn how to make easy persimmon jam from scratch with the step by step picture instructions further down in the recipe and get into the autumn groove!
You might remember that I had mentioned my love for Persimmons in the past here.
Those unique, kind of odd fruits, are in season in autumn and every year again, I have been digging into the orange colored fruity craze once again. Persimmons are also known as Kakis!
Soon, I realized that the fruit was good for making jam. When cut open a cracked ripe Persimmon, you will realize, besides the bright orange red color, that the fruit was left for us by nature, to turn it into a fulfilling jam.
The persimmon fruit is kind of shiny, jelly like but dense and not transparent, one could compare the texture to a Passion Fruit, just that it has some fine strings just like a mango and from outside it looks like a Tomato.
There are 2 main commonly known Persimmon types available.
Last time I used only the very astringent Hachiya persimmon in the tart recipe, which are high in tannin compared to the Fuyu (square flat) Persimmons, however, this time I used both.
Before coming up with this final recipe, I had tried cooking Hachiya and Fuyu Persimmon separately and my conclusion was that a mix of Hachiya and Fuyu persimmons will get you to the best result or the use of only Fuyu Persimmons, in case you don’t get Hachiya Persimmons in your supermarket.
I have seen both variations of Persimmon in Europe and in Goa (India), but if you are living somewhere else in the world, then be aware that different Persimmon types might contain more or even less amounts of tannin.
Both Persimmon varieties have their perks!
While the Hachiya needs to be eaten only when naturally cracked, the Fuyu only requires to be red ripe. The first three flat & square Persimmons in the picture above are Fuyus, while the next 3 further down are Hachiyas.
To make your own simple persimmon jam without pectin you will only need 3 basic ingredients: fresh persimmons, sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel.
You will just need one pot for this persimmon jam and it’s natural, preservative free and completely vegan.
Enjoy this persimmon jam on your breakfast roll or you could also make something like this Raspberry star bread just with persimmon jam instead of raspberry jam.
My Other Recipes
Persimmon Jam Recipe without Pectin and How to make easy persimmon jam below
- about 850 grams Persimmons (I used 5 Hachiya & 7 Fuyu Persimmons) or 30 oz
- 500 grams granulate Sugar or 17.6 oz or 2½ cups
- 200 milliliter freshly pressed Lemon juice or 6.7 fl oz
- Lemon zest strips of 1 small organic lemon
- First of all rinse your persimmons, then peel them all. Then clean your persimmon by picking out and removing the jelly seed pod which you will be able to feel at the centre of the fruit with your fingers. Add all the persimmon pulp bits together into a cooking pot.
- To the pot add the sugar and mix it. Cook the persimmon flesh slowly with the sugar and stir frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Now pour in the lemon juice and throw in the Lemon Zest strips. Incorporate it all well by stirring frequently.
- Cook on slow heat for about 40 mins, while stirring at times. You will notice a lot of foam too! At that point the jam should be ready and you can take it from the heat. Test if the jam is set by dropping some on a cold plate, the jam is ready if it doesn't run. If it runs, keep for some more time to cook on low heat and repeat the test until you have the correct consistency.
- Allow the jam to cool for 10 minutes, remove and discard the lemon zest strips. Before you fill the clean sterilized jars with the jam, drop little rum on into the sterilized lid. That will help to keep the jam from growing mold.
- Fill your clean jam jars with the jam, close well with the lid and turn the jars upside down. Keep them upside down for a few hours and then store them in a dry and cool place and keep away from direct sunlight. If you live in a humid tropical climate, please store the jam in the fridge.
Spring & Summer time Jam: ☀️
- Mango Jam
- Papaya Lime Jam
- Passion Fruit Strawberry Jam
- Tropical Mix Fruit Jam
- Peach Jam
- Red Currant Jelly
- Blueberry Jam
- Blackberry Jam
- Apricot Jam
- Dandelion Flower Jelly
- Banana Jam
Autumn & Winter Jam: 🍂
Dear Reader, what variety of Persimmon do you get to buy in your local market?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!