This Skillet Dijon Mustard Chicken recipe is a quick and easy, one-pan, low-carb, gluten-free dinner meal.
Creamy mustard sauce and juicy tender chicken breast will make this the taste highlight of your day!
What is dijon mustard chicken?
Dijon chicken is a delicious weeknight dinner recipe, which is also known as chicken dijonnaise.
Brined chicken breasts are left to infuse in a dijon mustard marinade.
This results in a creamy dijon mustard sauce recipe with chicken during the cooking process because the dijon mustard helps to emulsify and thicken the sauce.
Dijon Mustard Varieties that you can use
Dijon Mustard is a French mustard variety from the city of Dijon.
Dijon mustard can be smooth or grainy.
In France, you get all kind of dijon mustard varieties and you can use any of those mixed to enhance your dijon mustard sauce:
- Regular yellow Dijon Mustard sauce
- Whole Grain Dijon Mustard
- Green Pepper Dijon Mustard (a favorite of mine)
- Black Currant Dijon Mustard
- Curry Dijon Mustard
- Red Espellete Pepper Dijon Mustard
- Horseradish Dijon Mustard
- Basil Dijon Mustard
- Tarragon Dijon Mustard
- Burgundy Wine Dijon Mustard
- Honey & Gingerbread Dijon Mustard
- Walnut Dijon Mustard
- Honey & Balsamic Dijon Mustard
- Dijon Mustard a la Provencale
You can use just one or all of them, it’s up to you.
I used 3 different dijon mustard variation in my chicken with mustard cream sauce.
Using a selection of dijon sauce for chicken mixed together adds a lot of flavor to your mustard chicken marinade and makes it all the more interesting!
How to make mustard chicken?
To make my mustard chicken dijon recipe is super easy and I have split it up in 3 easy steps.
Rinse your chicken breast and place into a bowl with water and salt to create a brine.
Let the chicken sit in the brine.
Brine adds moisture to your chicken and your mustard chicken will remain juicy during the cooking process.
Discard the brine water and add the marination ingredients to your chicken breast.
This will be our dijon chicken marinade.
Make sure that the mustard mixture has been well combined and that your chicken is covered with the mustard chicken marination.
The chicken dijon breast is cooked in a skillet with some oil, cream and seasoning on both sides until the meat is cooked.
Related skillet recipes
- Chicken Geschnetzeltes with Hunter’s Sauce
- Chicken with White Wine Cream Sauce
- Olive Garden Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- Mediterranean Chicken Skillet by kyleecooks.com
Dear Reader, how are you going to serve this chicken recipe?
Skillet Dijon Mustard Chicken Recipe
How to Video
For the Brine:
- 1 large Chicken Breast
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
For the Marination:
- 3 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard *see Notes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Grab a large bowl and place your clean rinsed Chicken breast (cut into half) into the bowl. Pour water over it and add salt. Mix everything, this is your brine. Leave the chicken in that for 30 minutes minimum so that the chicken remains tender and juicy when cooking.
- Once the chicken has brined, discard the water. Add the Mustard paste to the chicken and spread all over. The chicken needs to marinate in the mustard paste for minimum 30 minutes
- To start cooking, heat up a pan with the oil and place your marinated chicken breast with the mustard sauce into the pan.
- Pour the cream, water over the chicken and season with black pepper and onion powder.
- Mix everything and cook your chicken on all sides over medium to low heat. Cook until chicken is done, if you are not sure use a meat thermometer and poke into the thickest part of the chicken. The temperature should be around 170 Fahrenheit/ 75 Celsius, that’s when your chicken is done.
- Serve hot with a side of your choice.
- You can use the regular dijon mustard variety or use different flavored dijon mustard. See in post for some inspiration. These add flavor and turn your dijon mustard chicken all the more special!