Chicken Schnitzel coated with breadcrumbs and sesame seeds for dinner tonight.
What is Schnitzel?
A Schnitzel is a boneless thin-cut breaded piece of meat (aka escalope).
The original Schnitzel is the Vienna veal, Wiener Schnitzel. The Schnitzel in West Austria and South Germany is prepared with pork meat.
Chicken Schnitzel is very uncommon in Europe because turkey Schnitzel is preferred there.
That said a Schnitzel can also be unbreaded, such as the classic Jägerschnitzel.
To avoid confusion, breaded meat stuffed with ham and cheese is known as a Cordon Bleu. Chicken Cordon Bleu is popular in the US and Filipin, an authentic Cordon Bleu is made with veal.
How to make Chicken Schnitzel?
Chicken Schnitzel consists of layers before it is cooked perfectly golden.
I have outlined the steps for you, that way you have an overview. The detailed recipe with ingredients is located at the bottom of the post.
Cut boneless chicken breasts into two thin cutlets.
Prepare 3 shallow plates or trays.
The first one with seasoned flour, second with scrambled egg and third with bread crumbs with sesame seeds.
Drag chicken first through the flour then coat with the scrambled egg and last with the breadcrumbs.
Heat up pan with oil and cook Schnitzel both sides golden and crispy.
Instead of breadcrumbs, use panko flakes. They absorb less oil.
You can use toasted sesame seeds too add deeper flavors.
Use zaatar seasoning instead of sesame seeds. Zaatar already contains sesame seeds
Make it spicy by adding chili flakes to the coating.
I didn't pound the chicken with a meat mallet in this recipe but you can do that if you want it extra thin.
To make baked chicken Schnitzel, place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and drizzle with oil. Bake breaded chicken breast at 350 Fahrenheit/ 180 Celsius golden crispy.
Chicken Schnitzel with sesame seeds is really great with chickpea hummus a small salad and fries. That's the Israeli way to serve it.
You can serve it the way one would serve a wiener schnitzel too, with parsley potatoes and lingonberry jam or ketchup and mayo.
A horseradish or a mustard sauce are great with this Chicken Schnitzel too.
You can also prepare a Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich by adding lettuce leaves and mustard to your meat roll sandwich.
Or cut the cooked Schnitzel into stripes and serve it with a green salad and a yogurt herb dressing.
You can keep leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Warm it up in the oven or in a pan with some butter or oil.
To meal prep, coat the Schnitzel as per instructions but don't cook it.
Keep it in the fridge to cook in the coming days.
Or place on a flat sheet pan without the schnitzel touching each other, and freeze hard. Take out when frozen and place it into a freezer-friendly container.
Use frozen meat within 2-3 months.
To thaw, keep in fridge overnight and pan fry as per instructions.
Or place into the oven frozen hard with some oil drizzled over it and bake at 350 Fahrenheit/ 180 Celsius until crispy golden.
Easy Chicken Schnitzel Recipe
- Slice chicken breasts lengthwise into cutlet pieces.
- Prepare 3 shallow plates or trays. Mix into the first container the flour, the salt and black pepper.
- Scramble the egg in the second container.
- Combine sesame seeds and breadcrumbs in the third container.
- Drag naked Schnitzel through the seasoned flour, and then coat with the egg and at last with the breadcrumbs sesame blend. Keep aside on a tray.
- Heat up large frying pan with oil or butter and wait for it to get hot. Keep a medium-high setting. Test if it's right by dropping a breadcrumb piece into the pan. It should sizzle.
- Shallow fry chicken schnitzel on both sides golden crispy. Keep on medium to high heat and don't over crown pan. I keep about 2-3 in one pan.
- Serve hot with a side of your choice.