Lemon rice is a delicious side dish to pimp up your rice at home. The yellow rice can be served with fish, meat and vegetable dishes.
The lemon ads a nice tangy addictive touch to the side dish, and it’s going to be your new favorite go to dish at home.
Learn how to make lemon rice at home with the step by step recipe below.
When you visit Goa, the first thing that you do is to take a round to the beach and chill in one of the beach shaks. You check out one of the sticky, salty menu cards and discover in the side dishes something called lemon rice.
It doesn’t sound fancy but if you are a serious lemon or lime lover like me, then this is a dish you shouldn’t miss.
Lemon rice is a flavorful rice side dish which goes well with Indian as well as Western food. It compliments well fish and seafood dishes such as the goan mackerel or prawn recheado, but I like to prepare this citrus rice recipe too with chicken mushroom in white wine sauce or spinach and cottage cheese aka palak paneer.
My husband “formerly” introduced me to lemon rice by presenting the rice side with stir fried recheado prawns.
The discovery and combination of lemon rice and Goan fried prawns was ingenious and it still is each time I prepare this easy and scrumptious lunch for us.
Lemon Rice is a South Indian invention.
The south Indian states all claim theirs is the real deal and each house says theirs is the one and only lemon rice version. It’s like the shakshuka in the middle east, everybody thinks their mamas home recipe is the best and only true one.
My husband’s aunt is from Kerala state, so she was the one to introduce the lemon rice to the family during festivities. It quickly gained fame as you can see!
The citrus flavors in this recipe will add some aroma to your rice. The dark mustard seeds are an essential addition too, which give a comforting nutty flavor to the dish and some texture as well.
Mustard seeds are healthy too and don’t necessarily turn the rice dish spicy.
Another great super healthy addition is turmeric, which might be known to some as Curcuma yellow spice. I have written about turmeric before. This spice is a very powerful antiseptic dried and powdered root, which is an essential in Indian cuisine.
Turmeric gives the rice not just some sunny colors but also a well rounded taste experience, and together with the mustard seeds and lemon juice it is a brilliant flavor experience, which anybody should experience!
Lemon Rice Recipe – How to make lemon rice below:
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- double amount of Water to the rice
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon dark Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Curcuma spice)
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- juice of one 1 Lemon
- Wash the rice and cook until done. Strain so that no water is left
- In a pan heat up the olive oil and add the mustard seeds. Temper the mustard seeds - careful mustard seeds jump up - until you get the nutty mustard seed aroma.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, the turmeric powder, salt and pepper and stir fry for another minute or two.
- Take from the heat and let cool for a few minutes before adding and mixing in the lemon juice.
- Pour the whole mixture over the cooked rice and mix well. Serve hot.
How are you planning to serve the lemon rice?
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Carrot Apple Ginger Juice – Fresh juice for a healthier you - January 21, 2017
- Winter Veal Stew – French Ragout Recipe - January 16, 2017
- Spice Garden Goa – Spice Plantation & Farm in India - January 9, 2017