Today I am going to share with you, my readers, one of my absolute favorite snacks.
Cheese bread patties, pressknödel in Austria, are common in the mountains, in Tyrol my home region, traditionally eaten with a clear soup but enjoyed too with a lettuce salad or as a snack in between.
People in older times used to make the patties of dried bread, which were leftovers from the previews days.
- 1 bowl of Dried Bread pieces
- 50-100 g mozzarella Cheese - some like more some like less
- 1 big onion - chopped
- 3-4 cloves Garlic - chopped
- warm Milk
- 1 Egg
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped fresh Parsley
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried oregano
- dried savory - optional
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- Start by shredding the bread into small pieces.
- Chop onion and garlic and fry with 1 of the 2 tbs of butter in a pan till the onion is translucent. Keep aside to cool a bit.
- Add the Egg and Cheese to the shredded bread.
- Continue adding the fried Onion, Garlic and melted remaining 1 Tbs Butter and the seasoning & herbs to the mix.
- Finally add some milk to moisten the mix.
- Then start smashing it with your clean hands, and add in between milk if its too dry. Be careful with the milk and don't over add. The Patties will have to stick together and little bit too much of milk can hinder the sticking and forming.
- Once you have smashed it all smoothly, start to form the patties.
- Heat up a pan with vegetable oil and fry the patties each side min. 10 min. pressing them down with a wooden spatula while frying.
- That's it! Simple and quick to prepare. Kids love it, Guests love it, perfect quick dish.
- Enjoy it with a clear soup, lettuce salad or as a snack in between!