Easy Sour Cream Dill Dip Recipe to enjoy with raw fresh vegetables, over baked salmon, cooked potatoes or simply with smoked salmon and much more!
What dill to use in this homemade dill dip?
I tend to prepare a fresh dill dip with garden fresh dill but you can use dried herbs too.
But keep in mind that fresh dill makes a better dip.
Also, there are dill weed varieties out there!
Grocery shops usually carry the bouquet or fernleaf dill weed variety as they are more commonly used in dishes such as cucumber dill salad.
We have grown Dukat and Vierling dill weed varieties in our garden too.
All dill species don’t necessarily taste the same.
Some look a bit different too and are dark green or even bright green or the weed is more elongated.
So, I totally encourage you to try this sour cream dip recipe with various dill weed varieties!
How to make dill dip with sour cream?
To prepare the dill dip with fresh dill and sour cream you will need a cutting board, knife, medium bowl and a whisk or spatula to mix.
For the full recipe with ingredients and instructions see further below.
Rinse your Dill weed and chop fine.
Chop your onion as well and keep aside.
In a large boil add the sour cream and Mayonnaise.
Continue to add in the Garlic Powder, Salt and Black Pepper.
Pour in the lemon juice and throw in the chopped dill and onion.
Combine all the ingredients in the bowl to a smooth and creamy dip.
Store in the fridge until further use. The dip tastes better cold.
Dill Dip flavor variations and special Diet adjustments
You can adjust, add and minus ingredients to make this dip your own.
For a vegan or dairy free dip use vegan sour cream instead of regular sour cream and vegan mayo.
For a healthier dill dip use Greek yogurt, Bulgarian yogurt or Icelandic skyr.
If you don’t like sour cream, switch it out with regular cream or use cream cheese (but keep in mind that cream cheese is healthy n calories).
If you want to make a no mayo dip with dill, just skip the ingredient but keep in mind that the creamy consistency turns out better with the mayo because the dip will hold better over a longer period of time.
Dill Dip FAQs
How to beautifully serve the dill dip?
This dip with dill can be garnished in a very eye-catching way to impress your guests.
Here some ideas, how you can garnish and achieve exactly that:
- Fresh dill – sprinkled over the dip in a serving bowl or a large piece of dill weed placed over the creamy dip in the center.
- Lemon slices – cut in half and placed over the dip or cut lemon into a wedge
- salmon roe – those orange fish eggs look fantastic
- chopped pickles or onion – sprinkled over the dip
- other fresh herbs such as chopped chives or parsley
- Fresh tomato slices, cucumber slices, jalapeno slices or pickled jalapeno
- Paprika or Cayenne Powder – just a dash makes it look nice
How to store the dip?
You can store the dill weed dip in an airtight container in your fridge.
Or keep in a small bowl with a clear wrap over the top so that your dip holds longer.
I don’t recommend freezing the dip because defrosting it will turn the dip kind of soggy and I think freezing alters the taste of the dip.
How long does the dip last?
Stored in the fridge, the dip will remain good for about 3 days max.
Take a look at the best before date on your sour cream and mayonnaise because this will determine how long you can keep your dip too.
If you use homemade mayonnaise, you need to consume the dip the same day.
This is an easy dill dip, so in case you can just whip up another fresh batch.
How to use this sour cream dip?
Besides being an amazing dill dippings sauce, we have other great uses for this great recipe!
- Vegetable dip – with raw veggies. Use cucumber, carrots, and radish.
- Potato chips or pita chips – Great aperitive to entertain family friends.
- Over baked foil pack potatoes – A favorite at home!
- Trout or salmon with creamy dill sauce dip. Keeps the fish moist!
- As a dip with French Fries, Hasselback potatoes or even baked onion rings!
- To serve as an appetizer with smoked salmon or salmon roe as a Bruschetta or cracker spread.
- Serve like herb butter with or over steaks.
More Dip Recipes
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
Sour Cream Dill Dip
- Rinse your dill and tab dry. Chop your dill fine and your onion too. Keep aside
- In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Add the seasoning too, the garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Continue to add the previously chopped dill and onion pieces and a dash of lemon juice.
- Combine all the ingredients with a whisk or spatula to a smooth and creamy dill dip.
- Keep in the fridge to cool until further use. Best served cold.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.