I adore this easy Indian Chicken Curry Recipe! It’s a complete weeknight dinner solution and so tasty. Usually, this Indian Chicken curry is ready within 25 minutes and it’s flavorful, filling and so comforting at the same time!
Learn how to make this easy Indian chicken curry with the step by step video and recipe further below!
It has been a while since I had posted an Indian chicken curry recipe here and it was about time, don’t you think? I have to confess I was playing around with ingredients and flavors for a while.
Understanding the different effects of spices is a challenge I enjoy and I love preparing a deep flavorful Indian chicken curry!
When I was introduced to spices the Indian way, I was overwhelmed by the number of different flavors and shocked that one could throw them all together in a pot.
I know my Indian friends will chuckle at the thought of my face turning red while eating a spicy hot dish, but a Westerner might understand my first reaction.
It took a few years and pure food love and I was a changed person. In fact, I am pretty much alright with most Indian dishes as you can see (pun intended!)
One of the Indian dishes that helped me getting into Indian food was this quick and easy chicken Curry. My mother in law was so kind to share this Indian Chicken Curry recipe with us and of course, her recipe is the best!
So, if you are a person who grew up with non-spicy food, then this Chicken Curry will surely be your next favorite.
My Other Recipes
How to make Indian Chicken Curry with coconut milk from scratch? [VIDEO]
The Indian chicken Curry preparation is quite simple and the ingredient’s list is not that long. The best part of the chicken Curry is that it is a quick one-pot dish, suited for the whole family.
This Indian Chicken Curry is mild but flavorful and makes a great weeknight dinner dish! See below after the recipe for serving suggestions and similar dishes.
You may adjust the amount of veg/chicken stock in the recipe to make the curry more or less liquid.
Can chicken curry be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this chicken curry easily by placing the curry with the chicken pieces into a freezer friendly container.
Then you just need to defrost the chicken curry and reheat it again on the stove top or microwave.
You will realize that it’s easier to heat up again this chicken curry as the chicken is still on the bone and doesn’t get that tough when reheated.
How long can chicken curry last in the fridge?
Chicken curry can last for about 5 days in the fridge, however, try to consume it before 3 days are over.
In fact, storing the chicken curry in the fridge and reheating it is beneficial because the chicken curry tends to gain more flavors when sitting in the fridge and being reheated.
Chicken curry dietary properties
This one-pot chicken curry is Gluten-free and Low Carb (Keto friendly).
Useful tools you might need to make this chicken curry:
Easy Indian Chicken Curry Recipe below:
- 1-2 Tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 450 grams skinless Chicken pieces with bones (about ½ of a small Chicken)
- 300 milliliter Coconut Milk
- 100-200 milliliter Veg or Chicken Stock
- 3 Tablespoon Garam Masala
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Coriander (Cilantro) to garnish
- Slice your onion and dice your tomato small. In a pot add the oil and heat up. Throw in the sliced onion.Stir fry for a minute or until the onion turns a bit translucent. Then add the Tomato and stir fry as well. At last add the Ginger Garlic Paste
- Add your chicken pieces and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the Coconut milk and add the garam masala and pepper. Mix the content.
- Cook on slow heat (slow so that it doesn't curdle) for about 20 minutes or until the curry has reduced and thickened and the chicken has cooked and the flavors have incorporated.
- Take off from heat and add the juice of one lime into the curry before serving still hot
- Garnish with coriander (Cilantro)
- See below the recipe for serving suggestions.
Similiar to the chicken curry recipe:
What to serve the chicken curry with?
Serve the chicken curry with plain cooked rice, lemon rice, cilantro rice or other aromatic spiced rice.
Or serve the chicken curry with flat bread such as chapati or any other bread.
Dear Reader, when are you planning to make this easy Indian chicken curry?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!