Easy Mushroom Risotto Recipe with variously mixed mushrooms, white wine, and parmesan.
The risotto rice dish is stuffed with comforting flavors and in this particular Italian recipe, you get to pick your mushrooms.
Perfect, during the fall season when we collect mushrooms n the woods or when we discover a bountiful mushroom harvest in the grocery market.
Mushroom Risotto ingredients
The Mushroom Risotto is a delicious vegetarian one-pot dish prepared with 3 different mushroom varieties.
For this Italian rice meal classic, I chose to give you more freedom regarding the mushroom selection.
A classic mushroom risotto will contain porcini mushrooms.
Sometimes crimini/portobello mushrooms.
Mixed mushrooms can add a lot of character to the homemade risotto dish.
In my easy mushroom risotto, I used what I had at home because I tend to prepare this dish all year round.
Yet, you will be able to get the best selection of mushroom varieties during fall.
This is because mushrooms are in season in autumn.
Usually, people go into the woods to collect mushrooms and they will bring back what is growing naturally and locally.
I like that philosophy!
At the same time, I do like to mix up things and tend to pick different mushroom combinations time again.
You know, to keep things interesting.
Therefore, you will realize that each mushroom tends to give this dish it’s own flavor profile and mixing them up is just all the more fun!
In this easy mushroom risotto, I decided to go with regular button mushrooms, oyster mushroom, and Japanese shiitake mushrooms.
You can use fresh or dehydrated mushrooms for this risotto recipe.
I love my risotto with a good white wine.
So, besides sipping on a glass of wine while preparing the dish, I add some to my risotto as well.
The seasoning is important as well because it needs to work with the other ingredients.
I add thyme, rosemary, and garlic because these ingredients work always great with rice and mushrooms.
For the broth, you can use vegetable broth if you want it to be a vegetarian dinner meal.
Otherwise, I have to confess, I do enjoy my mushroom risotto with a chicken broth as it works well with the other ingredients.
Do not exchange the broth with water in this risotto recipe, as this would break the flavor profile completely.
For the Rice, I simply use commonly available Arborio short grain rice.
The cheese used here is a classic Parmigiano Reggiano (proper Parmesan) cheese which turns the mixed mushroom risotto into a creamy well-flavored delight.
Choice of Mushrooms to prepare the Risotto
- Champignon de Paris/ common white button mushroom
- Crimini/ Portobello
- King Trumpet
How to make mushroom risotto?
The Risotto preparation is super easy, but you do need to look out for a few major preparation steps.
The easy mushroom risotto is a one-pot meal.
The Onions, garlic, and mushrooms are cooked in butter before the rice is added.
The short grain rice is stir-fried so that the rice flavors come out. Everything is seasoned with salt and black pepper.
After that, the white wine is poured into the cooking mixture.
Wine does flavor the dish, so I wouldn’t substitute this ingredient (even if kids are eating the dish).
Now pour in one ladle of broth and mix while the risotto is cooking.
Then it’s time to season with dried (or fresh) thyme and rosemary before pouring in another ladle of broth.
The broth needs to be poured in, one ladle at a time, while the risotto rice is cooking.
Once the broth has dissolved, another ladle of broth is poured in.
The process is repeated until all the broth has been used up or once the rice has cooked through.
In the end, grated Parmigiano Reggiano (the proper Italian style Parmesan) is mixed into the mixed mushroom risotto.
Mushroom Risotto is suitable for the following diets:
More Mushroom Recipes:
- Japanese Onion Soup with Shiitake mushrooms
- Chicken with Mushroom White Wine Cream Sauce
- Rice Stuffed Mushrooms
- Chicken Mushroom Pie (Tourte)
Dear Reader, Which mushrooms are you going to use for this delicious mushroom risotto?
Easy Mushroom Risotto Recipe with Mixed Mushrooms
How to Video
- Add the Butter to a pan and melt. Throw in the cut onion and finely chopped garlic. Cook the ingredients soft.
- Then add in the mushroom pieces and stir-fry for a minute, before seasoning the dish with salt and black pepper. Cook the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- At this point, you can add the rice. Stir fry the rice for a minute on high heat so that the aroma is released.
- Deglaze with White wine.
- Next, pour in one ladle of the broth.
- Season with thyme and rosemary. Mix well and keep on medium heat.
- Continue to pour in one ladle at a time of broth. After each ladle of broth, mix the content and let it cook down, then add another ladle of broth. Continue the process until you have used up all the broth and the rice is cooked through.
- Add and mix in the Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese.
- Serve hot.
- For the mushrooms, I used a mixture of dried and fresh mushrooms. I used shiitake, oyster and button mushrooms in thsi recipe. Read up in the post which mushroom varieties you can pick.
- Use only round short-grain Arborio rice or other risotto rice varieties to prepare this dish.
- For the Broth use Veg broth if you want this dish to be vegetarian. I like to use chicken broth too.
- I used dried rosemary and thyme on a dried stem. You can use fresh herbs too. The measurements in the recipe for the herbs are packed into the volume.