Cabbage Bhaji is a spiced cabbage stir fry from Goa, India. This flavorful side dish can be easily prepared in less then 10 minutes at home. Learn how to make Cabbage Bhaji in the recipe below.
We can always need quick, vegetarian, one pot dishes such as this delicious cabbage bhaji. The cabbage stir fry recipe is my goan mother in law’s specialty at home. We tend to make it for lunch as a side dish together with fish curry rice, or other curries such as meatball curry for example.
The goan version of a cabbage stir fry includes ingredients such as potatoes, freshly grated coconut, chili, tomato, onion, and spices such as Turmeric and Chili. So you see, you can recreate this dish easily at home since these ingredients can be easily found all over the world!
Other Indian popular regional cabbage stir fry recipes include the Cabbage Thoran from Kerala and the Cabbage Sabzi from Gujarat/Punjab. The Cabbage Thoran includes mustard seeds, coconut oil and curry leaves in the making. The Cabbage Sabzi will call for potato and garam masala in the recipe. The Goan and Maharashtra cabbage bhaji includes both potatoes and grated coconut.
The regional dishes actually have little differences in the making and ingredients choice. The names in each language, script and culture, are the most important distinction and one could discuss this for hours of course. 🙂
However, we are not here to ponder over the origins of cabbage sabzi or thoran. You are here for the recipe, which I will gladly hand over to you, so that you can surprise your family member at home.
Make this healthy Cabbage Bhaji Recipe below:
- 200 grams Cabbage
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 green Chili
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 3 Tablespoon Water
- 1 small boiled Potato
- freshly grated Coconut
- Wash your cabbage, tomato and green chili well. Chop the cabbage into small pieces, chop the onion into rough pieces, Cut the tomato into cubes and slice your green chili.
- In a pan add the oil, heat up a bit and fry your onions translucent. Then add the tomato and chili pieces and continue to stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Then season with salt, pepper and turmeric. Stir fry for another minute. Then directly add the chopped cabbage and continue to stir fry for a minute.
- Cut your potato into small cubes and add to the pan with the cabbage, together with the 3 Tablespoons water. Don't add more water because the cabbage will loose water while it's sweating in the pan.
- Let cook the whole content while stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is soft but a bit firm to the bite, that means the cabbage bhaji should have some texture too.
- Garnish with freshly scraped coconut and serve hot as side dish with coconut curries (see suggestions further up in post)
With what would you enjoy this cabbage stir fry side dish?
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Mexican Corn Black Bean Salad Recipe - April 24, 2019
- Mexican Seasoning – Taco Seasoning Recipe Spice Blend [DIY] - April 23, 2019
- Hibachi Fried Rice Recipe [Copycat] - April 19, 2019