Homemade Mango Jam Recipe for #Sundaysupper

by Helene Dsouza on June 9, 2013

The mango season honored our beings this year with a load of fruity, quality fresh Mangoes. The trees worked hard on their fruits and we get to indulge them. A lovely gift, don’t you think? Earlier this year in February we were surprised by some short rains, which kind of affected the mango production in the Goan state to the worse. However, we collected a proud and envious amount of fruits and shared it with our neighbors. They in turn did the same thing. So I ended up with a few different Mango types. My first thought, a Mango Jam Recipe!

Homemade Mango Jam #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com

I know many of us don’t have the “luxury” to own a garden and I feel with you! But if it makes you feel any better, it’s a lot of work, especially during the rainy season! So, getting organic mangoes, or other fruits, from the  market or store isn’t a bad alternative at the end of the day. At least you won’t have to find a solution for those half smashed mangoes that fell from the tree, or the fruits with a million worms…

Homemade Mango Jam #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com

Anyway, for my mango jam you will only need the fruit itself, some Lemons and Sugar, that’s it. No preservatives and maybe one could call it Vegan. As you must have noticed today, we at the #Sundaysupper Team, are in a “free” mood. My colleagues have chosen dishes that are either Gluten free, Lactose free, Vegan, Nut free etc etc. I guess you get the idea? As you know I am anything but an expert in this field since I don’t know anybody personally who is suffering from a food allergy. Some of you might not believe me but food allergies are very rare in my corner of the world, so the need for alternative food choices isn’t there.

Yet I understand the hardship of cutting down on some kind of foods. Especially I imagine the shock when one learns about some food intolerance. Yes, it would be a nightmare if I for example would learn that I could not eat cheese or bread anymore! Good god my foodie being would be smashed completely and I would consider myself doomed. I don’t want anybody with a food intolerance to feel bad of my words, but that’s how I would feel (and I bet many people would feel this way). But I am a flexible person so therefore I would accept my destiny and see it as a good challenge and maybe a health experience.

Homemade Mango Jam #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com

If you are a food allergic or not, you may enjoy my natural, organic, homemade, from scratch Mango Jam. Keep in mind that my recipe uses a whole mango with the core while cooking. I chose this way because I find the core gives the jam a certain rich flavour that I enjoy in a jam. Of course you can choose to cut and discard the core before cooking but that’s up to you. Also by doing it my way, you ll just have to fish out the core with the strings attached to it. Some Mango types have lots of annoying strings and I don’t like those in my jam, so leaving the core can be a big bonus. When following my recipe, notice that you ll need a big pot, bigger than the one I used so that you can mix the jam in peace. I had no choice since we don’t own a bigger pot, but anyway as you can see I managed with the one in the pictures.

Happy Jamming!

Homemade Mango Jam Recipe

Recipe type: Jam
Serves: 1 big 950 milliliter Jar
Prep time:
Cook time:

• 10 medium sized mangoes ( I used 8 Mankurad mangoes and 1 big Bishops mango which counts for 2 mangoes, and of those half of the mangoes were over ripe and the other half normal)
  • 600 grams Sugar
  • Lemon peel of 2 Lemons
  • 2 "naked" peeled Lemons
  1. Start by peeling your mangoes and discard the peel. Keep the mangoes in a big cooking pot.Homemade Mango Jam #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com
  2. Peel your lemon and add to the pot the peel and the lemon flesh. Cover the fruits with the whole amount of the sugar.
  3. Homemade Mango Jam #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com
  4. Heat up your pot on low heat and start to stir the fruits. Stir on low heat for about 30 minutes or until you see the rolling boil happening and when the fruit flesh is completely unattached from the core and only the strings are left. Always keep an eye on the cooking Jam!
  5. Homemade Mango Jam #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com
  6. Test the jam by dropping some of it on a cold plate. If the jam is running then it will need some more cooking time, if it remains and a thin skin appear on the drop, it is ready to be jarred.
  7. But first remove and discard the Lemon rind, lemons and the Mango cores with the strings attached to the cores (some mango types don't have strings which is all the better).
  8. Grab a sterilized Jar and fill it full with the jam. Drop a few drops of alcohol into the cap so that it gets disinfected. Seal the Jar and turn it up side down and leave it like that for a few hours before you store the mango jam jars in a cool and dry place.
Notes
More about jamming. Make sure that you store your jam jar in a cold and dry place and if you live in a tropical climate then make sure that you store it in a fridge.

Homemade Mango Jam #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com

#Sundaysupper Free for All Menu line up!

Breakfast

• Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding by girlichef
  • Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
  • Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe by Masala Herb

Main Courses

Sides
Breads

Treats

Drinks

Be sure to come back on Sunday for all the amazing “Free For All” recipes! We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat party starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to see you :) to join all you need to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and please do not forget to include the hashtag in your tweets as well. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.

Share on Facebook93Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+58Pin on Pinterest470Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pageEmail this to someone

I am Helene, the author behind Masala Herb! My aim is to show you an incredible world full of surprises. Food, Culture and Travel are my forte and that's what I enjoy. Follow my Food and Travel adventures and learn some incredible things!Now in the beautifull Indian coastline state, Goa.

Deborah Stephen

Hi,
I just tried your recipe and it came out GREAT!!! My hunt for Mango jam recipe began when I saw a worm crossing my table (its true!!) and i knew it had to have come from the over-ripe mangoes sitting there! Well, yours was the simplest and easiest to make at 11 pm. Hence…. :) the folks love it and so do I !! Thank you for sharing it and God Bless :)

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback and for taking the time to comment here Deborah! I appreciate your kind words =)
lol I know what you mean with the worm, that’s why I had to come up with a solution and the mango jam was born. =D

Lauren

I’ve been looking for a great mango jam recipe since we have about 20 ripe and extremely delicious mangoes right now! My husbanded picked them from the tree of a friend who doesn’t like mangoes and they are some of the best I’ve ever tasted. Very flavorful and sweet and almost NO fiber. My question is must we put so much sugar into the jam? They are so sweet already that I really hate to hide all the flavor with too much sugar, much I’m not sure how big a role the sugar plays in turning them into jam. I would really prefer just to keep the fruit with very little else. I want to try this recipe, but perhaps I’m better off just slicing them and freezing them? My mother-in-law makes a mango jam that is yummy but really too sweet. Any advice?

Hi Lauren!
I understand your concern but to preserve a jam for a long time a good amount of sugar is required. You could cut down on the sugar in the recipe but then make sure to consume it asap before mold can grow. Sugar helps in preserving fruits and that is why you need a whole load to make a jam that can be stored for months. Our Mangoes here are naturally sweet too, but still I add the same amount of sugar to make a jam. Hope that helps!

roseanne

Hi, I tried this recipe but was left with almost no jam and the mangos still seemed to have all the flesh on them after boiling for close to 45mins. Well, I could kind of scrape the “juice” from the mangoes and remain with the core and stringy bits, but I didn’t get much jam. Definitely nothing I could even scoop to put in a jar. What could be the problem? Please respond, thanks for the recipe though!

Roseanne I am sorry to hear that it didn’t worked out. It could be the mango type. Some mangoes have more strings and less flesh and are less for making jams. There are many different mango types as seen on this website http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/fruit/varieties_mango.htm
In fact there are apparently over 100 mango types.
Best is to use a mango type that is fleshy and juicy. Hope that helps and if you have anymore questions let me know.

MRodrigues

Hi Helene. This recipe is simply divine. Our annual vacation to Goa is usually in the monsoons. This was my first summer visit to Goa in 30 years. So Mankurad was everywhere. I followed your recipe but made the following changes remembering what my mother used to put. I had 12 mangoes, reduced the sugar to 500 gms, I lemon (peel and naked lemon), and a 2″ piece of cinnamon. I cut off the flesh from the mangoes, wore a disposable glove and squeezed out all the flesh from the seed. I then blended the pulp to a puree. So in the pan was just the mango pulp, sugar, lemon rind, naked lemon and cinnamon. It took about an hour and a half. Absolutely divine. Brought back memories from my childhood. Everyone loved it so I tried another batch with Alfonso mangoes (here in the UAE we get plenty of that) but it came out sweeter. So to balance that I made another small batch (without sugar) and as the mixture thickened, added the earlier batch. Cooked all this for a few minutes and it came out just fine. There was hardly any difference between the two jams. Thanks for sharing

Tracy

Hi Helene, thank you for your recipe, My son loves dehydrated mangoes, he asked me to buy a box full of mangoes to dehydrate. When I was at my local fruit and veg they had a special on mangoes 2 for $2.00 I asked the staff how much for a box he said he could let me have a box for $30.00 that’s 40 mangoes small one’s mind. The larger would be $80.00 a box, so I snapped up the smaller ones when I got home I put a load in the dehydrator no additives, they came out beautiful and tasty a great healthy snake. Then I put in my second load in but sadly my dehydrator failed and I was stuck with a full load of fresh mangoes I placed them in the fridge over night but the next day it was over 41 degrees way to hot to cook so they stayed in the fridge another day I used your recipe except I used less sugar 4 cups of mangoes to 2.1/2 cups of sugar I had no lemons so I added 4 tables spoons of lemon juice it was thick and splatted like thick larva I tried to boil it as instructed but it maybe me or not enough sugar but it only bubbled like thick larva however the jam thickened and darkened a lot I did a taste test and yum it was to thick to be runny I was going to add more sugar but my son said no as last year I made mango and pineapple jam and I added equal parts sugar making it far to sweet it would eat your teeth out your head. so this has turned out well but like you I’m not sure weather I added enough sugar so I will watch out for mold or any discoloring the mango jam sealed in there jars and look and taste delicious well worth the effort Thanks for your recipe I will let you all know how long my jam lasts.

Hi Tracy!
Well it depends too on the fructose (fruit sugar) amounts in the mango. Mangoes are sweet and maybe your mango jam might not get moldy that quickly. Anyway you can reduce the sugar and then store it in the fridge but you will need to eat it as soon as possible. Like that you won’t have issues. The question is now how long your jam will remain with less sugar. The sugar after all is the preserving agent and traditionally jams are very sweet. Did you do the “few drops of rum in the lid before closing” trick? Please keep us updated, I think others would love to know how long your jam stayed good without getting moldy. Also, which mango type did you use?