Natural blueberry jam without pectin is a real treat slathered over your breakfast toast. Make a batch of this easy jam and enjoy!
How to pick wild Blueberries?
We love to pick our own blueberries to prepare this delicious jam. Check out our How to pick wild blueberry guide, so that you know where to find wild blue berries.
Let me tell you, a blueberry spot in the forest is a big secret here in Austria. Don’t expect the locals to tell you. Our own close relatives won’t tell us their secret spots. That’s how well guarded these food collecting places are!
End of July you can still find a few blueberries here and there but the longer they hang on the bushes the more mushy they get and nobody likes mushy blueberries. They just stain a lot..
You will definitely have a few delicious blueberry recipe delicacies in mind to enjoy the bounty from the forest before the berries turn bad. Sweet delicacies such as this easy Blueberry Kaiserschmarrn dessert or the decadent Blueberry Tart with Custard make us always happy at home.
But what do you do with huge quantities of blueberries? Well you turn them into an amazing blueberry jam without pectin, which you can share with your family and friends.
Years ago I would wake up early morning to go to work and it would be rainy cold and dark outside, My mood would go downhill but then I would have breakfast with a blueberry jam on my bread. A smile of victory would take over my face.
You won’t even care that your tongue turned dark blue, thanks to the blueberry jam, because it’s truly a soul food!
Jam making equipment, tools of the trade!
- A proper jam pot such as the typical jam copper pan which we use in France. Copper because it’s the best conductor and somehow the jam always turns out better when cooked in a proper copper pan.
handlewooden spoon to stir the jam easily. We pick wood because it doesn’t transfer the heat.
- Wide mouth funnel to pour the cooked jam into the jars
- Jam Jars/Mason Jars to store your jam
- Labels so that you can identify your jam easily with the date on it
- Heat Resistant Jam Jar Tongs to pick up the hot sterilized jars or the jars filled with hot jam
. CanningThermometer (optional). It assists you with the temperature so that you don’t over cook your jam. I don’t use have one and therefore I don’t mention the Celsius in my jam recipes.
Blueberry Jam Recipe without Pectin
For the Jam:
- 2.2 pounds Blueberries
- 1.5 pounds Sugar
You will also need:
- a few drops of rum to disinfect the lids
- 3-4 Jars with a Lid
- Wash your blueberries and pick-out/discard any impurities. Learn more about how to pick wild blueberries. Weigh your fresh Blueberries and place them into a cooking pot.
- Place the pot with the sugar and fruits on the stove and keep a low heat at all times.
- Cook slowly for about 45 minutes and stir sometimes. Then bring to a rolling boil as shown in the second picture. At that point the blueberry jam should be ready and you can take it from the heat to cool for 5 minutes. You can just test if the jam is ready by placing a few drops of the jam on a cold plate. The jam is ready if it’s not running, if the opposite is the case, just keep it to cook for some more time and repeat the test. Don’t cook the jam on high heat!
- Before we fill the clean sterilized jam jars with the blueberry jam, place a few drops of rum into the lid. The rum will kill any mold growth.
- Fill your clean jam jars with the blueberry jam, close well with the lids and turn them upside down. Keep them upside down for a few hours and then store them in a dry and cool place away from any sun. Once the jar is opened, store in the fridge. Keeps well for a year and more if stored correctly.
- We add some rum into the lid before closing the jar as this prevents mold and preserves the jam much longer naturally.
- Print and use the jam labels from this post to decorate your jars.
- One serving = 1 Tsp, 70 servings ~ 3 jars.
Jam Labels to print
I have prepared a little BONUS for you and designed a unique BLUEBERRY JAM LABEL for your blueberry jam jars. You can get the label with blueberry written in in English, German or French. I thought you might like a jar written in another language, just for fun. 🙂
Print the blueberry jam label on a A4 sized sticker type of sheet or regular white copy paper. There are 24 labels per sheet. Stick it on the jar and you are done.
Tip: Blueberry Jam makes a gourmand gift for family and friends.
Dear Reader, do you buy your blueberries or do you collect them in the wild?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!