Peach Jam Recipe the French way. Homemade, natural and without pectin, this two-ingredient peach jam is going to be your new jam favorite this summer!
I am sharing tips on how to make peach jam further below and also how to preserve peach jam effectivly for long term.
Another jam, because I am a great homemade jam lover and today it shall be my mum’s peach jam recipe, which is of course without pectin.
In order to get up in the morning and to receive my daily dose of inspiration, I prepare something what we in french call a tartine.
It’s basically a bread slice covered with butter and jam, just that in my case I completely and always skip the butter so that I am left with a slice of sweet homemade jam. I bet you too will have a special simple breakfast item which is dear to your heart. In my case, it’s my homemade fruit jam and bread.
A few years ago, I actually described once in detail to an Indian tourist couple that in my corner of the world we were mostly enjoying a bread covered with a thick lush layer of butter and jam or honey for breakfast.
They did not want to understand my breakfast habits and kept on mentioning stubbornly the English breakfast, which, as you know, includes eggs, bacon, sausage baked beans, mushroom, tomato and toast.
Maybe they just didn’t understand that Austria didn’t equal Australia (English breakfast and Australia?! I know!), because this country confusion does happen frequently, or in retrospect, I even believe they were just amazed, not in a good way, that there were people in this world eating fatty pork bacon.
I got the hints when they kept on mentioning bacon, sausage and pork! Bewildered by the notion they forgot about my bread and jam…
Years later I was trying to convince my husband to love jam and bread for breakfast. I thought I failed even after introducing real jam into his life. But he did prepare his own tartine nearly every single day when we were in Europe and I was of course entirely surprised.
His explanation for this phenomenon was that the weather was cool and inviting his appetite to start the day with bread butter and jam.
So naturally, motivated by my husband’s temporarily
new breakfast choices, I asked my mum if we could share her jam recipe classics.
Amongst the many fruit jam and jelly recipes that she prepares year by year around harvesting time, she also has a peach jam recipe. Luckily we were in Europe back in August when the peaches ripened, I absolutely wanted to share a photo of how peaches grow.
The peaches look fresh and inviting, don’t they?
More amazing & similiar jam recipes:
Peach Jam Recipe below:
- 1 kilogram fresh Peach fruits
- 750 grams sugar
- A few drops of Rum to disinfect
- about 3-4 Jam jars and lids (300-350 milliliter)
- Wash your peaches well. Cut open on one side and pick out the core, discard the core. Weigh the peaches, peel and cut into quarter and place them into a big cooking pot.
- Add the whole sugar amount to the fruits. Mix the content well.
- Keep the pot with the fruits on the stove, cook on slow heat for about 45 mins, while stirring at times, until you can see a rolling boil (lots of foam too!). At that point the jam should be ready and you can take it from the heat. Test if the jam is set by dropping some on a cold plate, the jam is ready if it doesn't run. If it runs, keep for some more time to cook on low heat and repeat the test until you have the correct consistency.
- At this point you can either mash the cooked peaches quickly or keep them in whole pieces.
- Before you fill the jars with the jam, drop little rum into the lid. That will help in keeping the jam germ and mold growth free.
- Fill your clean jam jars with the peach jam, close well with the lid and turn the jar upside down. Keep them upside down for a few hours and then store them in a dry and cool place and keep away from direct sunlight. If you live in a humid tropical climate, please store the jam in the fridge.
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Dandelion Jelly – Dandelion honey - April 25, 2019
- Mexican Corn Black Bean Salad Recipe - April 24, 2019
- Mexican Seasoning – Taco Seasoning Recipe Spice Blend [DIY] - April 23, 2019