Vegan Scrambled Eggs is the fun name given to a tofu scramble. No eggs are used to make this particular breakfast/brunch time scramble, which makes the tofu scramble completely vegan!
I have put together a deliciously flavored quick vegan scrambled eggs recipe further below with video. Tastes just like a real egg!
I came across vegan scrambled eggs in my travels to India, which is the country with the biggest vegan population in the world.
This tofu scramble makes a common appearance in places such as at the beach in Goa, in restaurants in the desert village in Pushkar (Rajasthan), in the temple ruin village in Hampi (Karnataka) and party places in the mountains such as Kassol (Himachal Pradesh).
What is Vegan scrambled eggs?
Vegan scrambled eggs is the name given to a tofu scramble which looks, and most importantly, tastes like a real deal egg scramble.
No dairy products are used to make a vegan scramble, only tofu and seasoning make up a vegan scrambled eggs meal.
How to make scrambled tofu taste like scrambled eggs?
The trick to preparing vegan scrambled egg/scrambled tofu is to make it taste and look like real scrambled eggs by using the right tofu and adjusting the flavoring while cooking it properly.
When picking a tofu to make vegan scrambled eggs, you need to pick a regular firm tofu variety. Don’ t use a silken/soft tofu, the scrambling in the pan won’t work the way it does with a firm tofu.
If you are new to tofu, ask somebody in the store, if it’s not mentioned on the tofu packaging. Artisanal tofu doesn’ t always mention if it’ s a firm or soft tofu block. Refer to this guide about tofu varieties with the pictures shown.
The seasoning makes a simple scrambled tofu a vegan egg scramble. Spices add the look and flavor to make the tofu scramble all the more interesting.
The amount of seasoning is important in this tofu scramble, too much of turmeric, which makes the scramble naturally yellow, can be off-putting.
However, you are free to adjust the heat of the chili if you want, yet try to stick to the recipe for the first time so that you get the idea of how the spices affect the flavoring of the tofu scramble to make it taste like a real egg scramble.
The Preparation & Cooking Process:
The preparation and cooking process is not rocket science for the tofu scramble. In fact it’ s easy and you will be done within 10 minutes altogether.
The difference to an old-school egg scramble is that the vegan egg scramble needs to be scrambled before the tofu is added to the hot pan with the oil.
Then it’s just scrambled easily on medium to high heat. You can’ t really burn tofu that easily, even when it’s scrambled.
Eventually, don’ t under or overcook the tofu. It should still have some freshness to it and have juice. That’ s why eventually you won’t need to stir-fry the tofu scramble longer than 5 minutes
What does scrambled tofu taste like?
This particular scrambled tofu tastes just like a real egg scramble if you make it this way, the vegan egg scramble way. Don’ t try to omit the spices completely, it won’t taste the same way, you can reduce the spice amount but it’ s not necessary because the tofu scramble is not spicy hot.
How to make vegan scrambled eggs? [Video]
What to eat with scrambled Tofu?
Scrambled Tofu is a breakfast/ brunch dish and it best enjoyed with bread and hash browns. You can also serve it up with fried tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms and add some baked beans.
Or another idea is to serve scrambled eggs with hummus and tahini. Or how about vegan scrambled egg with a salsa, baked sweet potatoes or scrambled tofu in a sandwich?
However, feel free to prepare this vegan egg scramble for meal prep to take to school or work.
I personally enjoy scrambled tofu topped with fresh herbs for dinner with green salad and vinaigrette at the side and some kind of a protein-rich soup such as a lentil soup.
Tools that you can need to make this quick delicious vegan egg scramble:
Vegan Scrambled Eggs Recipe – Quick Tofu Scramble below:
- 250 grams firm Tofu or 17.6 oz
- 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2-3 stalks fresh Spring Onions or 40 grams or 1.4 oz
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (aka Curcuma)
- Salt to taste
- optional: Paprika or Cayenne Pepper powder or Chili Sauce to garnish ( I used Paprika + Tabasco)
- Unpack and place your tofu block into a colander so that we get rid of some of the water. Place the tofu into a mixing bowl and with a fork start mashing the tofu to create something that looks like a scramble. Keep aside.
- Slice your Spring Onion, reserve the green parts to garnish the finished scramble.
- Grab a pan, heat up add the olive oil and stir-fry your sliced white part of the spring onion.
- Now add the tofu and stir fry on medium heat. To season add the spices one by one, including black pepper, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Stir fry the whole content so that the spices cover all the scrambled tofu evenly.
- Do that for 2-3 minutes until you feel it' s right. The vegan egg scramble is ready when it's cooked but not too dry.
- Add to your plate and garnish with the green cut spring onion parts and optionally with paprika or spicy hot cayenne pepper (red chili) powder.
- Enjoy still hot with bread, hash brown, baked beans and similar. See serving suggestion above recipe card in the post.
More like the vegan scrambled eggs recipe:
- Tofu Rice Noodle Salad by Rhian’s Recipes
- Warm Rice and Quinoa Salad with pan-fried Tofu by Fab Food 4 all
Dear Reader, how did you get to know about vegan scrambled eggs?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in a comment further below.