Soji or Sooji/Suji is a stir-fried semolina dessert in Goa, India.
Semolina wheat is known as Rawa, so the term Rawa Soji is more common. Some places in India call this a Halwa.
I am always looking for quick tasty recipes.
Life around us is always a buzz, time scares, precious and we try to do the maximum in a day.
My plan for today’s day, was to post a delicious, easy and quick to prepare semolina dessert dish.
My husband is the master of this dish and he is the one who introduced me to it.
Its a traditional Indian recipe which is cooked and enjoyed throughout the country.
It is mostly known as soji, in Goa they would spell it soege.
Soji is a semolina cake/pudding which is prepared in a pan over a hot fire and traditionally served on a banana leaf (without the plate).
No baking is involved because people don’t use ovens in these regions.
I am sharing with you the basic recipe because I like it simpler and without extras.
If you want, you can always add in scraped coconuts or almonds or even food colors to give it all another dimension.
Be creative, try out some flavor ideas for this dish, and share it with us here!
- 100 grams Semolina
- 60grams Ghee (clarified Butter)
- 200 milliliter Milk
- 30 grams Sugar
- 4 drops Vanilla Essence
- Take out your non stick frying pan and heat it on low fire up. Add the Semolina into the pan and stir fry till you see a light color change towards golden brown. Don't burn it!
- Now mix in the ghee and continuously stir fry till it gets all together thicker. Continue by adding in the milk (first half the amount), the sugar and the vanilla essence. Don't forget to keep on stirring while it is all cooking and add in the rest of the milk once it is all getting thicker. The Semolina dish should be sticky and a bit dry.
- Serve it warm, that's when it tastes the best. The semolina hardens fast, if kept standing for longer, and the experience might be not the same.
More Soji flavor ideas! 🥣
- Chocolate Powder
- a fresh mix of tropical fruits
- Apple & cinnamon
- Chikoo fruit (Sapote) & caramel
More tasty desserts! 🍡
Dear Reader, what do you think of my penned down thoughts in this post?