Make this One Pan Spiced Chicken and Rice Recipe on busy days when you are craving a flavorful but comforting dish after a long day at work.
Easy mouthwatering and only 15-minute weeknight meal for two.
I always believed that rice and chicken are meant to be!
These two ingredients go hand in hand and you can make so many different version of flavorful dishes with just chicken and rice as main ingredients.
In fact there are couple of reasons why chicken and rice make a great weeknight dinner meal on busy days.
Why you need to make this Chicken and Rice
- is prepared and cooked in less than 20 minutes
- doesn't have any veggies that need to be cut small = saving you time
- you can prepare it in one pot, which in turn...
- reduces your work in terms of time consumed preparing a meal from scratch
- the chicken flavors get sucked in by the rice which I think makes the dish all the more interesting
- the rice acts like a blanket around the chicken which keeps the meat moist and tender.
- can be prepared in a way where you can use it with common ingredients that you have at home
- the aroma of the dish smells divine in the whole house!
peppedit up by adding Indian spices to enhance the aroma of the chicken and rice. You are going to love it!
This chicken and rice is a yellow rice complete meal dish.
So even if you make more and you have leftover, you can enjoy the next day round too by warming it up again.
I tend to stir fry the chicken and rice if there has been a left over, as this gives the dish another flavor edge.
How to make Chicken and Rice?
This chicken and rice recipe is flavorfully enhanced with spices, yet it is not hot in terms of chili heat.
So it's suitable for a family with kids.
To make this yellow one-pot chicken and rice from scratch, you will need rice and chicken as main ingredients and a couple of spices as well as butter, tomato paste and vegetable stock or water mixed with a Maggi cube.
For the Rice, pick Basmati rice as it has a lovely aromatic touch to it, which goes well with the chicken in this dish.
For the Chicken, pick meat with bone.
Boneless chicken meat tends to over cook and get tough in this dish and doesn't lend the dish the desired end result flavor.
In that case pick Chicken drumsticks as you can easily pick the drumsticks out of the rice to eat.
To cook this one-pot dish I recommend you using a cooking pot utensil such as a Chinese Wok, an Indian Kadai pan or an all-purpose pan such as this one here.
I recommend using these pans because the heat is spread out evenly while cooking the dish and you tend to save time cooking this way.
The steps to prepare the one-pot chicken and rice are simple, as you can easily see in the video.
Fry the onions with butter and your spices later as well
More Rice Recipes
Dear Reader, did you try to modify this one-pot chicken and rice recipe? What was your food discovery, share it with us in the comments below!
Global Food Recipes
with Spices and Herbs
Free E-Book available for a limited time. Grab yours now and get instantly inspired!
You missed out!
One Pan Spiced Chicken and Rice
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper ground
- ¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon ground
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Ground
- ¼ Teaspoon Chili Powder optional
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander Seeds ground
- ¼ Teaspoon Cumin ground
- 1 Onion sliced
- 2 Cloves
- ¼ Teaspoon Garam Masala optional
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger + Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Puree
- 2 Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 ⅓ cup Rice uncooked
- 3 cups Water mixed with concentrated Stock
- pinch Salt
- Cilantro to garnish
- In a shallow big pan add the butter and stir fry the spices, bay leaf, black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, chili, coriander and cumin for a minute. Then add the sliced onion and continue stir-frying until they get a bit soft.
- Throw in the cloves and garam masala and add the ginger garlic paste and tomato paste as well and stir fry for a minute.
- Then place your chicken into the pan and cook on both sides fo
- Then add in the veg stock and some salt to taste. Mix the content well and let cook on slow heat covered for about 10-15 minutes or until the rice is cooked fully and the chicken is well cooked and tender.
- Serve hot if you want with some garnish such as fresh cilantro.