This Mexican Corn Black Bean Salad is stuffed with flavors and we call it a summer comfort dish.
I enhanced this black beans Mexican corn salad side dish with a light dressing, which I seasoned with my Mexican spice blend.
We both absolutely adore corn and beans in a salad.
Paul actually introduced me to his favorite bean and corn salads ad over the years we came up with this Mexican style salad.
The Mexican bean salad will be great for the upcoming BBQ summer season and makes a great potluck, and of course, Cinco de Mayo Mexican side salad dish.
Sometimes, during the hot summer days, we simply enjoy the Mexican corn and bean salad as a standalone dinner meal.
It's quite filling and super nutritious!
The salad recipe includes several ingredients and most are common Mexican ingredients (except for the olive oil in the Mexican salad dressing).
Black Beans are super common in Latin America, the Caribbeans and in the South.
You get them dried or more often canned.
If you get dried black beans, soak them first before cooking them soft.
Using a pressure cooker can save time.
A Mexican salad needs to have corn!
I tend to add sweet corn because that's what Paul likes.
I personally don't mind any corn, as long as it has some texture, flavor and a slight crunch.
Don't be afraid to try out Ancient Mexican corn varieties which might be more suitable (depending on the variety) for this salad.
Avocado is creamy, rich in healthy oils and it's a welcoming color contrast in your salad.
You can pick a popular Avocado variety such as Hass for your Avocado and try another Avocado variety.
I use small red onions because they are milder and compliment the Mexican corn black bean salad.
You can use shallots here too.
Tomatoes are of course part of the Mexican cuisine.
Use your favorite tomato salad variety and quarter them.
Your vegan salad will have more texture, color and will turn out juicier thanks to the tomatoes.
Jalapeno peppers are optional.
I add them all the time to my Mexican black bean salad.
Jalapenos add heat, so I tend to enjoy homemade pickled jalapenos in my salad instead of fresh peppers because fresh jalapenos are at times too hot.
Pickled Jalapenos have a slight crunch and they are flavorful, making this healthy Mexican salad all the more special.
Dressing & Garnish
For the Dressing, I like to use an Olive Oil Lime Vinaigrette.
I also add some of my Mexican seasonings to the dressing (which is optional in the recipe below).
I like to garnish with cilantro separately, especially if I make this for guests because not everyone likes cilantro in a dressing.
Mexican Potluck Recipes
Dear Reader, did you try the easy Mexican corn black bean salad recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Mexican Corn Black Bean Salad Recipe
- 9 ounces Black Beans ~ 1 can drained
- 9 ounces Sweet Corn ~ 1 can drained
- 1 small Red Onion sliced
- 1 Avocado cut into pieces
- 3 medium Tomato quartered
- Jalapeno slices (optional) *see Notes
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Make sure the black beans and corn are soft and can be consumed. Place all the salad ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients.
- Keep the salad and dressing in the fridge until serving time. Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving up the Mexican black bean corn salad.
- I use Pickled Jalapenos because they add flavor to the salad and they are less likely to be super hot. You can also add fresh jalapeno pepper slices (but it's going to be hot!)
- Use canned black beans and corn or dried black beans cooked soft and cooked corn.
- The Mexican Seasoning is optional and can add flavor to your salad.
- Servings are calculated as small portions