Kidney bean salad is a lovely nourishing and delicious high protein bean salad, which I prepare with a homemade vinaigrette dressing.
Red Kidney beans are a wonderful healthy source of protein which you shouldn’t miss incorporating into your diet.
Learn how to make this vegan bean salad from scratch further below and get the recipe + video!
What are Kidney beans and how to use kidney beans?
These wonderful, kidney shaped, dark red/brown beans with little specks on them are a common sight all over the world.
I love turning these red healthy beans into a kidney bean salad.
So good with a French mustard vinaigrette dressing!
Kidney beans can be used in stews, wraps, curries and even salads, such as in the kidney beans salad.
I think so I even saw some sweet mashed kidney bean recipes.
So, actually, it’s a very versatile and tasty bean variety.
My only issue with kidney beans was getting them cooked.
You have to soak kidney beans before even thinking of cooking them.
Because of that, I would forget to soak them and the bag of kidney beans would just be waiting for me at the back of my pantry cupboard.
Also, to cook kidney beans soft you absolutely need a pressure cooker!
There is no point of cooking kidney beans in a normal pot for more than 2 hours.
It’s a waste of time, electricity/gas and the uncertainty if they are done is way too high.
To get it right with kidney beans, you need to soak them at least for 10 hours.
So keeping them the previous night to soak in water to use for the next day, is a smart meal prepping step.
Then you just need to pressure cook for 30 minutes and the kidney beans will be done.
If you do this (cooking your own kidney beans), you will understand why using kidney beans can be so easy and you will never need to go back to canned beans again, which by the way rarely comes close to the taste of home-cooked kidney beans.
Once the beans are cooked you can add them to any dish preparation and most of those dishes won’t take you more than 20 minutes to prepare them from scratch.
So you have tasty home-cooked food, which is nutritious and in the case of today’s high protein bean salad, on top of that even easy to put together and it’s completely vegan
How to make Kidney Bean Salad with Vinaigrette? [VIDEO]
Kidney bean salad Dietary details:
- Low -Carb
- with whole unprocessed organic ingredients. I use these quality red kidney beans, the farmers get proper market value.
Things you can need to make this kidney bean salad:
- Instant Pot (electronic pressure cooker) – quick to cook the kidney beans and lentils soft
- Pantry Storage containers to store your dried kidney beans and lentils
- Salad Dressing Shaker
More high protein lentil and bean recipes:
Dear reader, do you cook beans frequently at home?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
Kidney Bean Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing
For the salad:
- 1 Cucumber diced
- 2 Tomato diced
- 1/2 medium Onion
- 3 cups Kidney Beans = 200 grams or 1 cup dry raw
For the Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- Prepare your veggies. Peel your cucumber if necessary (some cucumber types have a bitter flavor) and cut into dice- like size. Do the same with your clean tomato. Peel and cut your onion small too. Place all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Kidney beans should be soaked previously for 10-12 hours and then cooked for 3-4 whistles in the pressure cooker. Strain from water and let cool. Mix into the vegetables.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the mustard paste with the salt, pepper and vinegar first. Then add the oil and mix it well. I like to use a shaker to blend the ingredients well together. You can double the vinaigrette dressing too if you want a more juicy salad.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the mixed salad and serve cold.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.