Celebrate spring with my mum’s French ham asparagus casserole recipe.
Fresh Asparagus are rolled up in ham and cooked in a casserole dish with a creamy cheesy bechamel sauce.
The Asparagus ham
Comforting and ready withitn 25 minutes, everyone will enjoy this asparagus casserole.
I grew up with this fresh ham asparagus casserole dish. My mum is French and this is a common dinner meal in our family.
What Asparagus to use in the casserole dish?
The Asparagus is a fresh spring vegetable worth enjoying. You can prepare this asparagus ham roll up casserole with green or white fresh asparagus.
Green and white asparagus are the same variety. The white ones are grown away from
Green Asparagus is the easier of the two to prepare. You just need to rinse the green spears and trim off the bottom if it’s fibrous and getting tough.
White asparagus are also peeled, besides trimming off the tough parts. The white ones tend to get fibrous faster too.
What else to look out for in asparagus
Both, green and white fresh asparagus need to be cooked for a short time in boiling water before you can use them in your casserole dish
If you use canned asparagus, you don’t need to boil them because they are soft already.
I recommend to use fresh asparagus because the flavors are all the more better. Canned asparagus tend to be soggy and don’t have texture.
You can choose between white or green asparagus. I personally prefer the taste of white asparagus in this asparagus casserole recipe but the green ones are less work.
Choose younger fresh looking asparagus in your grocery store. Thick white asparagus tend to get fibrouse fast.
The place of origin (where they were cultivated) is also important, so keep all that in mind. You want to use the ones which are more common localy.
Asparagus, Ham Roll-Ups with White SaucePrint Rate
For the Roll-Ups
- 24 fresh white Asparagus
- 200 g Ham cuts
For the White Sauce:
- 30 g Butter
- 2 Tbs White Flour
- 1/2 l Milk
- pinch grated Nutmeg
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
For the Topping:
- grated Emmental cheese
- Start by rinsing the fresh Asparagus stems and peel and trim the ends. No “woody” Asparagus bits should be left!
- Simmer the Asparagus by placing them standing into the cooking water, (heads up) until they are soft but not mushy.
- Prepare the White Sauce. In a sauce pan melt the butter and add the flour, stirring continuously. Add the milk and keep on steering with a whisk on the heat till the sauce thickens. Season the sauce.
- Roll 1 slice of ham around 3 cooked asparagus and place the Roll-Ups into a fire proof form next to each other.
- Pour the white sauce gradually over the Roll-Ups and top with grated Emmental cheese.
- Bake at 180 C. for about 5 min. and serve hot!
Dear Reader, do you prefer green or white asparagus?Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN this Recipe for later!