Healthy fenugreek tea prepared with seeds will help your body in various ways.
Fenugreek is an amazingly useful plant known since ancient times for its health benefit effects.
The seeds are especially useful and this is why we are going to focus on the seeds to prepare tea from scratch at home.
What is fenugreek?
The fenugreek plant resembles a clover and is native to the Mediterranean, middle eastern and Indian subcontinent climate.
The meaning of the name comes from greek hay, which is an indication of its origins.
Fenugreek grows well in arid areas around the world and has been popping up different parts around the globe.
Fenugreek taste can be compared to maple syrup and often while fenugreek seeds are used to imitate maple syrup flavors.
The seeds are light brown in color and resemble small stone pebbles.
In fact, the seeds are literally stone hard.
The plant leaves and seeds have been used in traditional medicine since ancient times by the greek (hence the name), Egyptians and Romans alike.
The Romans would season their wine with fenugreek.
Fenugreek never lost it's allure across the ages as it was at some point not only foraged but also cultivated by Christian monks as well as Muslim hakims (doctors).
In Asia, fenugreek has been known since ancient times in China and India, where it is known as methi seeds.
You may ask, what is fenugreek good for?
Well, the seeds have been used since ancient time and that for a good reason!
These are some of the things this fenugreek seed tea can help you with.
- Fenugreek for diabetes - This study shows how the seeds soaked in hot water and the resulting tea consumed helped people with diabetes, mainly Diabetes type 2 patients.
- Fenugreek benefits for women - The seed tea is consumed in various places around the world so to increase lactation during the breastfeeding period.
- Fenugreek benefits for men - A recent study conducted over a long period of time discovered that fenugreek seed oil can increase the sperm count.
These are some of the major fenugreek tea or dietary supplement benefits.
People say that fenugreek seeds help against menstrual cramps, assist in the absorption of carbohydrates and lowers the blood sugar levels.
However, these claims have not been proven so far.
Be aware that claims such as fenugreek for weight loss or fenugreek for weight gain are usually just hot air.
There have been no findings whatsoever.
Some say that by just soaking the seeds in warm water overnight and by consuming them will help you lose weight.
I hate to break it to you, the only way to lose weight is to exercise and to take part in a balanced food diet.
Some seeds in water won't help you to lose weight.
It is not advised to take in fenugreek while pregnant because it can cause contractions.
Where to buy Fenugreek seeds? - Fenugreek seeds can be bought online.
Sometimes you can find them in a supermarket under the spices.
Asian and Indian stores sell fenugreek seeds as Methi seeds and they usually carry these seeds because they are rather common in the east.
How to make Fenugreek Tea + Recipe instructions below:
Dear Reader, have you seen fenugreek seeds in your local shop?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Healthy Fenugreek Tea
- 5 cups Water
- 1 Tablespoons Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 Teaspoons Tea Leaves
- Sugar or Honey to sweeten optional
- Heat up a pot with water and allow the water to cook.
- Add the fenugreek seeds and tea leaves.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the fenugreek seeds and tea leaves sit in the hot water for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the tea into a cup, discard the plant parts.
- Sweeten with sugar or honey if you like and serve hot.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.