An easy low carb cheeseburger soup, with ground beef and without potatoes, prepared in one pot over the stove top.
This soup was inspired by the infamous MCds. double cheeseburger (of course) and the German beer cheese soup.
This cheeseburger soup came about when I was out of potatoes and vegetables. I was also super lazy that day.
Here is a list of ingredients that you will need to make a low carb/ keto version:
- Ground hamburger beef meat - lean or higher content of fats
- Butter or olive oil
- Onion - white or red
- Broth - vegetable or beef broth
- All-Purpose flour
- Cream cheese
- Cheese - cheddar or similar
- Seasoning - salt, pepper, nutmeg, bay leaf and thyme (optional).
If you want veggies, add the following (but it won't be low carb anymore) - 1 carrot and 1-2 potatoes.
How to make the cheeseburger soup?
The soup has almost no prepping time and is easy to prepare and cook from scratch.
The overview below shows you how it comes together. The complete recipe with US and metric measurements is located at the bottom of this post.
Prep onion and garlic. Saute onion and garlic.
Stir in meat and flour.
Pour in broth and throw in seasoning.
Mix in cream cheese, grated cheese and thyme.
Bring to a boil, cook until soup has infused with ingredients and you are satisfied with the flavors.
Serve up your cheeseburger soup with brown bread, whole wheat rolls, and similar healthier breads such as our spelt bread.
I love the soup with refrigerator pickles at the side and/or with small pink and sharp radish and some salt.
The soup is quite filling, making it a great option if you want to eat less or smaller quantities of food for lunch or dinner.
Garnish with paprika and ground pepper.
Store soup leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 4-5 days max.
You can batch the soup too and freeze each batch in a freezer-friendly container.
To warm it up again, heat up over the stovetop OR in the microwave in a microwave save container.
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
For the soup:
- 1 piece Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 Tablespoon Butter or Oil
- ¾ pound Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon All-purpose Flour
- 6 cups Broth Beef or Vegetable Broth, can be mixed with water
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- pinch Nutmeg
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ cup Cream Cheese
- 6 ounces Grated Cheese 1 bag, cheddar or similar
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- Prepare your onion and garlic, cut small.
- Heat up a shallow vessel with the butter or oil and saute onion and garlic soft over a medium heat setting.
- Stir in ground beef and stir cook over a medium flame.
- Lower the heat and throw in all-purpose flour. Mix in and stir cook for a minute.
- Continue to pour in broth. Mix in some water to the total quantity of broth if you want it thinned down.
- Season with salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and bay leaf.
- Increase heat to a higher setting and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally and wait for it to bubble.
- Add in the cream cheese, grated cheese, and thyme.
- Keep over a medium to low heat setting and cook first covered for 15 minutes and the rest uncovered.
- Pick out bay leaf when you are done and discard bay leaf.
- Serve up hot with some paprika and black pepper as a garnish.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.