3 cheese tortellini soup enriched with ham pieces makes a comforting winter meal for the family.
Stuffed with incredible satisfying flavors, this soup is sure to make an impact.
I love tortellini and one of the best ways to enjoy them, besides topped with a creamy cheese sauce, is to make a soup with them.
Tortellini are stuffed Italian pasta so combining them with cheese and ham in a soup is the way to go this winter.
This is a one-pot soup dinner meal, suitable for the whole family.
How to make this cheese tortellini soup?
The soup recipe is straight forward easy.
Prepare this tortellini soup recipe over the stovetop within 30 minutes!
Find the complete recipe with detailed ingredients and instructions at the bottom of this post.
Heat up a pot with the butter and sautee onion, carrot slices. Add bay leaf.
Pour in broth or stock and seasoning and combine
Add the tortellini, cream and dijon mustard.
Mix and cook soup until tortellini are cooked through and soft.
Add the cut ham, chopped fresh parsley and take out the bay leaf (discard bay leaf).
Take soup from the heat and add mixed cheese to the soup, combine and serve soup hot.
What tortellini with filling to use for this soup?
I love to use vegetarian tortellini in this soup because I add ham to the soup, which alleviates the flavors to a whole new level.
So usually I go for tomato or spinach tortellini but I like the combination of spinach tomato tortellini too.
Of course, you are free to use traditional tortellini too which are prepared from scratch with pork loin, mortadella, and prosciutto.
Here are some more tortellini filling ideas that you can use in this soup.
- sausage or mince
- ricotta cheese – with herbs, olives or sundried tomatoes
- shrimp or lobster
- pesto – I love homemade tortellini with my cashew pesto filling
If you haven’t devoured this comforting soup in one sitting, then this soup can be stored for up to 7- 10 days in your fridge.
Yes, you can! Place the tortellini soup into freezer-friendly containers and freeze. To thaw your soup, keep it in the fridge overnight or place directly into a pot and heat gradually. The same can be done in the microwave with the defrosting setting.
To make it vegetarian, skip the ham and use only tortellini which has been filled with a vegetarian filling.
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
3 Cheese Tortellini Soup with Ham Recipe
How to Video
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Onion sliced
- 2 small Carrot sliced
- 1 Bay Leave or 2 small
- 9 cups Broth or stock, *see Notes
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Nutmeg pinch
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 pound Tortellini
- ½ cup Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard optional
- 3.5 ounces Ham diced, *see Notes
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley fresh chopped
- 1 cup Mixed Cheese grated, 3 varieties, *see Notes
- Heat up a pot with the Butter and add your onion slices. Sautee onions soft.
- Control the heat and add the sliced carrots. Mix and allow the carrot slices to sweat a bit.
- Throw in your bay leaf and pour in broth or stock. Keep on medium to high heat.
- Season with salt, nutmeg, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Stir your soup and cook for approx 3 minutes on high heat.
- Add the tortellini to your soup, cream and dijon mustard. Combine the ingredients well.
- Cook the soup until tortellini are cooked through and soft over medium to high heat.
- Then add the cut ham and fresh parsley and pick out the bay leaf to discard the leaf.
- Take from the heat and add the 3 cheese of your choice. I added a combination of grated cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan. Mix the cheese in, it will melt fast.
- Serve up your soup hot and enjoy it.
- Use a stock or broth of your choice (veg, chicken, beef) It shouldn’t be too instense or else cut with water. You can use maggie cubes too with water.
- Pick 3 cheese of your choice. I used cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan. You can also use gruyere, emmental, pecorino (careful with the saltiness).
- Dijon Mustard is optional. It adds another layer of flavor and helps the soup to come together.
- Use packet or homemade tortellini with the filling of your choice. See my recommendations in the post.
- I love to add sliced and diced ham. You can also add leftover holiday ham in this recipe, That will add tons of flavors too!