Comfort food at large! Cheese Spaetzle noodles are easy to prepare if you have spätzle noodles at home.
Prepare this dinner meal in one pan within minutes!
What are Cheese Spätzle?
Cheese Spaetzle are Spätzle noodles prepared with caramelized onions, covered with cheese and served in a pan.
Käsespätzle is the German word which just means cheese spaetzle.
Spätzle noodles are also called German pasta, even though they are very Austrian too.
In fact, this standalone dish in a frying pan is a traditional food dish in Austria, South Tyrol (Italy), Bavaria and Swabia (Germany).
The Swiss call them Knöpfli, but cheese spaetzle are not a thing there.
Traditionally cheesy Spätzle were prepared in a large skillet because that same skillet was placed in the center of the table and everyone would dig in with their spoons.
People have been making them in casserole dishes too in modern times.
No matter which vessel you choose, your german mac and cheese can be ready in a few steps.
How to make Kaesespaetzle?
You can get ready-made spaetzle from Aldi or you can use frozen homemade spaetzle.
Here are 3 basic steps outlined to get you going. The recipe card with all the details is at the bottom of this post.
Sautee and caramelize onion slices in butter until they are brown and crisp.
Take onion out of the pan.
Fry spaetzle noodles in pan with butter until they get golden.
Season with salt and black pepper.
Spread caramelized onions and grated cheese over the spaetzle in the pan.
Keep over heat and cover pan so that the cheese melts or place into oven if you use a cast iron pan.
Serve hot with chopped fresh parsley as a garnish.
You can add other ingredients to your egg noodles too! Here are some idea:
- bacon - cut small and fried crisp with the onion
- bell pepper
- sweet or smokey paprika powder
- spinach - chopped, sauteed and mixed into the noodles
- wild garlic (aka ransoms weed) - just like the spinach
- use lard instead of butter
Choice of Cheese
The cheese is everything in this dish!
The cheese defines the flavor and makes it taste WOW.
You want a flavorful cheese, something like a strong Cheddar, Emmenthal, or even Gruyere or Raclette cheese.
Traditionally, a smelly mountain cheese is used. Something well seasoned, full-bodied, and with a sharp taste.
More cheesy recipes from the region
Please feel free to share with us your knowledge and point of view further below in the comment section!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Cheese Spaetzle Recipe
- Cut onion into slices or rings.
- Heat up a pan and melt 1 tbs butter. Fry onion golden and crispy. Take out onion fro slices/rings the pan and keep aside
- Bring skillet back to the heat and melt the remaining 1 tbs butter. Add cooked spaetzle noodles to the pan (make sure they are not wet!) and fry noodles on all sides.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Spread crispy onion over the noodles in the pan.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over noodles.
- Keep the skillet over slow heat, cover with a lid and let the cheese melt OR if it's an oven-friendly skillet (check info that came with your skillet) keep in the oven under the grill.
- Serve hot, garnished with some fresh parsley or green chopped chives.