Kidney bean salad is a lovely nourishing and delicious salad, which I top with a homemade vinaigrette dressing. The protein rich kidney beans, aka rajma beans, are a wonderful source of protein which you shouldn’t miss to incorporate into your diet.
Learn how to make kidney bean salad form scratch further below and get the recipe + video!
These wonderful, kidney shaped, dark red/brown beans with little specks on them are a common sight in Asia, however in Europe not so much.
In India, the lentil and beans country, you get dried kidney beans commonly in all markets and stores. They are better known as rajma beans in India.
Kidney beans can be used in stews, wraps, curries and even salads, such as in the kidney beans salad. I think so I even saw some sweet mashed kidney bean recipes. So, actually it’s a very versatile and tasty bean type.
My only issue with kidney beans was getting them cooked. You have to soak kidney beans before even thinking of cooking them.
Because of that, I would forget to soak them and the bag of kidney beans would just be waiting for me to use it.
Also, to cook kidney beans soft you absolutely need a pressure cooker! There is no point of cooking kidney beans in a normal pot for more then 2 hours. It’s a waste of time, electricity/gas and the uncertainty if they are done is way too high.
To get it right with kidney beans, you need to soak them at least for 10 hours. So keeping them the previous night to soak to use for the next day, is a smart meal organization. Then you just need to pressure cook for 30 minutes and they will be done. For sure!
If you do this, you will understand why using kidney beans can be so easy and you will never need to go back to canned beans, which by they way rarely come close to the taste of home cooked kidney beans.
Once the beans are cooked you can add them to any dish preparation and most of those dishes won’t take you more then 20 minutes to prepare them from scratch.
So you have tasty home cooked food, which is nutritious and in the case of today’s kidney bean salad, on top of that even easy to put together and it’s completely vegan
How to make Kidney Bean Salad
Kidney Bean Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing – Rajma Salad below:
- 1 Cucumber (peeled if necessary)
- 2 Tomato
- ½ medium Onion
- 450 grams boiled kidney beans or 3 cups (= 200 grams or 1½ cup dry raw kidney beans)
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard (I used Dijon whole grain mustard paste)
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- Prepare your veggies. Peel your cucumber if necessary (some cucumber types have a bitter flavor) and cut into dice- like size. Do the same with your clean tomato. Peel and cut cut your onion small too. Place all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Kidney beans should be soaked previously for 10-12 hours and then cooked for 3-4 whistles in the pressure cooker. Strain from water and let cool. Mix into the vegetables.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the mustard paste with the salt, pepper and vinegar first. Then add the oil and mix it well. I like to use a shaker to blend the ingredients well together. You can double the vinaigrette dressing too if you want a more juicy salad.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the mixed salad and serve cold.
More bean and lentil recipes:
- Guar bean stir fry – goan chitjomitjo bhaji/sabzi
- Yard long beans stir fry – goan iriel bhaji/sabzi
- Goan dal curry – masoor red lentils
- Simple Lentil pot with sausage and brown masoor lentil
- Mulligatawny Soup
More Protein rich Vegetarian recipes:
- Greek Salad
- Couscous Paneer Salad
- Red Amaranth Leaves Sabzi – Tambdi Bhaji – Goan Red Spinach Stir Fry
- Palak Paneer – Spinach Indian Cottage Cheese Curry
- Mutter Paneer – Green Peas and Cottage Cheese Curry
- Paneer Korma Curry
- Cauliflower Potato Egg bake
- Veg Soya Tikka
Dear reader, do you cook beans frequently at home?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- 30 Minutes Pan-Fried Salmon in White Wine Sauce with Tagliatelle Pasta Recipe - March 28, 2017
- Fragrant Rice Recipe with Clove – Easy Aromatic Rice Side Dish – How to make fragrant rice - March 24, 2017
- Simple Caprese Salad – Italian Tomato Mozzarella Basil Olive Oil Insalate – How to make Caprese Salad - March 23, 2017