Goan Omelette Poi

by Helene Dsouza on September 3, 2013

When I had come to Goa for the first time, which seems to be ages ago, the humble Omelette Poi was introduced into my life. The Goan Omelette Poi is basically a tomato onion chili omelette in a goan bread. That’s certainly not a 5 star meal, in fact the goan omlette is a very popular road side snack in Goa which is prepared by omelette gaddos (fast food carts), bhaji joints (fast food veg joints) and also Chai Mamas. Either it’s simply served in a Pao (bread roll), a Poi (flat hollow bread) or there is also a very typical local version including chicken gravy which is better known as Ras Omelette. I came across an informative article that explains and sums up the different Goan breads and their history at The Goan.

Goan Omelette Poi http://masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

The first Goan Omelette that I had ever tasted was prepared by a skilled Chai Mama. Chai Mama’s are common in outdoor parties during the main Tourist Season. The same have made an appearance too in the European Outdoor parties during summer time, of course they were inspired by the Goan scene. They serve chai, masala chai, mint tea, ginger lemon honey tea and some of them also sell Omelette Poi or Pao. You have to imagine a wonderful night in the forest or on the beach with the music inspiring people from all over the world and the smell of freshly made hot chai and Omlettes lingering in the air together with the notorious and aggressive gas stove smell. The stove smell memory is something that I ll never forget, it was just so out of the world but completely fitting to the environment. I can just say, mystical and so mysterious!

First I was reluctant to order one of those omelettes. I had sat down on one big bamboo mat prepared by the Chai mamas with some south American, European and Japanese friends that I had met on my journey. Everybody was in a good mood, sitting in the forest glade surrounded by different Mango trees and Bamboos near the Dance floor. The Chai Mama was rather calm compared to some of the fighting nature types that I had encountered later on. Her kettle was conjuring wonderful smelling Chai for everyone, while adjusting the heat  of the mini gas stove frequently. More people started to join our round and some had ordered a few Omelette Poi with the “local” Ketchup. My stomach was of course grumbling but I wasn’t going to have one, so I thought at least until I gave in and had my own Ketchup topped Omelette bread in my hand.

Goan Omelette Poi http://masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

I pretty much fell in love with it from that day onwards. Funnily enough I had no clue that one could get a Omelette Poi anywhere else and I didn’t know what a bhaji shop (bhaji stands for vegetable, a bhaji shop sells fast food potato bhajis chai etc) or gaddo (Street food carts) was, so I took a few weeks to discover that my new favorite breakfast and snack was available on the other side of the street. Ha!

Everybody in this world has had Omelette before and there are countless versions. The Goans add Onions, Tomatoes and Green Chillies to it. Simple but effective! Nowadays I tend to prepare the Omelette Poi as a snack. It’s a common afternoon/evening treat over here and I have to admit that when I am tired I’ ll just go across the street to buy me some for a few rupees. The road side snack used to be more of a poor mans food and just like many other fast foods in this world, the omlette poi has turned into a trendy food idea much enjoyed by locals and foreigners alike!

Goan Omelette Poi

Recipe type: Snack, Breakfast
Cuisine: Goan
Serves: 2 Omelette Poi
Prep time:
Cook time:

Enjoy the Goan Omelette Poi as a snack or breakfast at home and bring the goan vibe into your life.
  • 1 medium Onion
  • 2 Green Chilli
  • 1 Tomato
  • 4 Eggs
  • chopped fresh Coriander
  • pinch Cumin Powder
  • pinch Salt
  • pinch Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  1. First prepare your onion, tomato and green chillis by rinsing and slicing the onion, dicing the tomato and roughly chopping the green chillis. Also chop your fresh Coriander. Goan Omelette Poi http://masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb
  2. In a bowl add the eggs then the cumin powder, salt and pepper and mix the whole content. Continue to add the onion, tomato and chilli pieces and mix again. Goan Omelette Poi http://masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb
  3. Heat up a non stick frying pan, add 1 Tablespoon of butter first and add half of the liquid omelette mixture into the pan. Cook on one side until golden brown, flip and cook the other side the same way. Do the same again with the remaining 1 Tablespoon butter and the rest of the omelette mixture. Goan Omelette Poi http://masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb
  4. Serve hot in a Poi or Pao (or other bread) and spicy Ketchup.

Goan Omelette Poi http://masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

Share on Facebook4Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+36Pin on Pinterest9Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pageEmail this to someone

Finla

Now i know what it is? We have the omelette and we eat them with bread never with this pao that is why i didn’t know. Looks delish
Finla recently posted..Penne With Chicken Brocoli and CheeseMy Profile

easyfoodsmith

What a yummy way to have omelette! Can’t wait to try these on my visit to Goa! Thanks for sharing.
easyfoodsmith recently posted..BOOZY NUTS n CHOCOLATE FLAPJACKSMy Profile

Angie@Angie's Recipes

Love egg sandwiches :-) I can eat at least two at one go!
Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Crustless Protein Quark Cheesecake with Blueberry SauceMy Profile

dassana

i miss buying pois and even eating them :-( i wish i knew how to make them at home. i have never had anything from the street vendors or the chai mamas whilst in goa. this combo of omelette and poi also happens to be hubby’s favorite.
dassana recently posted..alu vadi or patra or pathrode recipe for ganesh chaturthiMy Profile

Chitz

I’ve never eaten an omelette like that before. I make omelettes and eat them with veggies and cheese or I make a bacon egg and cheese sandwich on an American biscuit when I’m getting homesick. Your omelette poi sounds terrific!
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..In My Kitchen – September 2013My Profile

Stacy

This sounds like my kind of breakfast, Helene! I don’t know what bread I’ll use but I will definitely be trying your lovely omelet sandwiches soon. And it occurs to me that with all the regional Indian restaurants here in Dubai, I’ll bet I can find omelette poi to buy as well!
Stacy recently posted..Browned Butter Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Muffins for #MuffinMondayMy Profile

The Ninja Baker

I’ll take two to go, Helene! And then go dancing on the beach. Honestly, your life sounds like something out of a movie =) Love it!

P.s. Please check your contact form e-mail as I’ve sent you some very fun but confidential info.

Sissi

I love all the omelets from all around the world. Every time I taste (ore rather prepare) one, I think: eggs are awesome! Your omelet is no exception here: it looks absolutely luscious and I’m sure tastes great. I wish I had the same bread too…
Sissi recently posted..Long-term Westernised Kyuuri no Kyuuchan (Cucumber Pickled with Soy Sauce and Ginger)My Profile

egg and bread! Its such a great idea and makes the idea of having an omelette to a whole new meaning sound even more exciting. I love the flavors you have going on
Kitchen Belleicious recently posted..Unique and tasty vegetarian meal ideasMy Profile

Jamie

Actually, this looks and sounds pretty 5-star to me! My son just ate his way through Vietnam and only ate street food and it all looked amazing! I want to visit India and do the same.

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

My mom adds green chilli to her omlettes too! Your recipe is conjouring up smells and tastes of my younger days!
Thanks for sharing this!
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Copycat (almost) “No Bake Almond Fudge Protein Bars”My Profile

john@kitchenriffs

Interesting recipe, and a fun way to eat an omelette! I’ll have to give it a try. And I’ve never thought to add cumin or coriander powder to an omelette – definitely a great idea! Thanks so much.
john@kitchenriffs recently posted..The Alaska CocktailMy Profile

Nava Krishnan

While the name of the recipe is new to me, I am intrigued over how it turned out. the cooking technique is also new but I adore the outcome. We just love too much of eggs and it’s a dish I am waiting to try out for this weekend.
Nava Krishnan recently posted..Indian Fish Curry With BrinjalsMy Profile

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking

These look so scrumptious, Helene! Love the way you made an omelette even better with your lovely recipe!

Ramona

I love omelets full of flavor and this one is spectacular. :) Love all those green chilies!
Ramona recently posted..Pizza Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Chicken with Pasta (Day 3 of Bacon Week) # baconweekMy Profile

Jeanette

This sounds so flavorful – I would love to try this for breakfast or lunch!
Jeanette recently posted..Star Anise Ginger Pickled Beets Recipe {+ Kimchi Pickled Beets}My Profile

CCU

An omelette is so delicious, I love the innovation involved!
Flavoursome ingredients :D

Choc Chip Uru
CCU recently posted..CCU Undercover: Adriano Zumbo Mirror CakeMy Profile

Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

Ohhhhhhhhh. You know how to make me hungry.
Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry recently posted..Banana Chocolate MuffinsMy Profile

Louise

I have a weakness for all things omelette, lol…Yours sounds quite intriguing, Helene. I must try it one day. Thank you so much for sharing the story and the sandwich!
Louise recently posted..Wordless Wednesdays; The School LunchMy Profile

I’ve never seen an omelet like this! So cool!
Joanne recently posted..Banana Bread Brownies {the leftovers club}My Profile

wok with ray

Your omelet looks very flavorful and I would also like mine to go. :)
wok with ray recently posted..Chicken CurryMy Profile

Cher

Great idea for an omelet. And I enjoyed the story :-)
Cher recently posted..Pre-occupied (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Sweet Berry Fougasse & Blueberry Muffins)My Profile

Kumar's Kitchen

THIS IS SUCH A COMFORT FOOD COME BREAKFAST AND ANY TIME WHEN WE WANT A HEALTHY FILLING SNACK….STUFFED WITH BUTTERED PAVS WITH AN EXTRA DOSE OF GREEN CHUTNEY….UNBEATABLE,THANKS FOR MAKING US REMEMBER OUR FAVORITE TREAT :-)
Kumar’s Kitchen recently posted..Colorful Carrot & Yogurt Dip:It Is All About What You C…:-)My Profile

Sanjeeta kk

What a fun recipe to make on weekend for my kids..but don’t get Poi here…
Sanjeeta kk recently posted..Recipes | Millet Dumplings in Lentil Sauce aka Bajra Daal Dhokli – A Comforting One-Pot MealMy Profile

Charles

This looks soo good Helene – I love the name too… it reminds me of how we used to pronounce “pie” in my family as a joke when I was a kid! Such a beautiful “poi”… must be fantastic as a breakfast!
Charles recently posted..Moroccan-inspired Lamb StewMy Profile

Ash-foodfashionparty

You know Helene, it might be simple but it is so comforting in a way that can’t be explained. I love the package and your story behind your first time trying this. You just gave me a neat lunch idea for tomorrow.
Ash-foodfashionparty recently posted..SPINACH PAKODI KADHI with roasted garlic- GUEST POSTMy Profile

Mjskit

Great post! Loved the story of how you came to finally try this. For me, anything with an egg gets my attention. This is a breakfast I would definitely enjoy! Will be trying this!

Minnie@thelady8home

Can I have some? This is just my kind of food!!!
Minnie@thelady8home recently posted..Fish and chapsMy Profile