Stuffed Baked Apples with Walnuts is my mum’s French recipe.
Easy and quick, this fall dessert will leave an impression!
My mum used to prepare this fall dessert almost every Sunday.
As a child, I didn’t particularly like it but nowadays I adore this dessert, especially with some ice cream.
Yet, whole baked apples are also a healthier dessert if you skip the ice cream and enjoy your baked stuffed oven apple on its own.
These baked apples are stuffed with walnuts, seasoned with cinnamon and enriched with butter so that the apples don’t get too dry during the baking process.
Besides that, I like to sprinkle some brown sugar over the apples before the baking process in the oven.
What are the best apples for baking?
Pick apples that will stay firm after baking and don’t get mushy.
They should be tart too so that the apples can balance the flavor with the brown sugar, nuts, and cinnamon.
Choose one of the following apple varieties to prepare these stuffed baked apples:
- Ingrid Marie
- Paula Red
- Golden Delicious
- Granny Smith
How to make whole baked apples?
Eventually, I have seen my grandmother preparing the same stuffed baked apples by cooking them on the stove covered instead of baking them in the oven.
However, baking the apples turns out way better because the apples get cooked evenly on all sides under the oven heat.
The steps to prepare the baked apples are straightforward:
- Wash apples, cut off apple cap remove the core
- Crush Walnuts and mix cinnamon and brown sugar to it
- Stuff the apples and place some butter on each.
- Close the apples with the cap, Bake!
Dietary plus point for the baked apples:
More Apple Dessert Recipes:
- German Apple Cake
- French Apple Cake
- Strudel Dough to make Apple Strudel
- Spiced Apple Compote Muesli with Yogurt
Dear Reader, which apple variety will you most probably use to prepare these stuffed baked apples?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Stuffed Baked Apples with Walnuts
- Wash your apples well. Cut off the top part of the apples and keep aside (don’t throw it out!).
- With a corer remove the inner seed pod of the apple. Keep the apples aside.
- Crush/cut the walnuts roughly.
- Place walnuts into a bowl and add the sugar and cinnamon powder. Mix well
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius/ 350 Fahrenheit.
- Place the apples into an oven proof bowl. Stuff the apples with the walnut mixture.
- Add approx. 1 Tablespoon of Butter on each apple. Close the apple with the “apple lid” (top apple piece).
- Pour Water into the baking dish.
- Bake apples at 180 Celsius/ 350 Fahrenheit tender for about 25-30 mins. The bigger the apple the longer they need to bake to get tender cooked.
- Serve hot or cooled with the syrup sauce that has formed at the bottom of the dish.
- Use only organic untreated apples for this recipe because we are not peeling the skin and you don’t know what they spray (or what wax they use) on your store-bought apples.
- You can make these stuffed baked apples healthier by omitting the butter. To make it low carb, skip the sugar. For a perfectly balanced french style recipe recreate as I mentioned in the recipe card.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.