We Austrians life for our Knödel.
Seriously we wouldn’t be able to think those round dumplings away from our lives, simply because they are so versatile and because we enjoy them savoury and even sweet.
There are so many versions, you would be surprised!
I am aware that many people out there in the world don’t even know the existence of Knödel, our floury middle European treats.
That’s why I am always happy to introduce you all to a new type of dumpling and a new way to use them, because the world deserves to know the best of the best and I like to share my knowledge! 😉
That was the case too when my relatives from France would come down in the late winter months for a week to ski in the Alps and to relish our local food dishes.
Till now I believe they haven’t discovered it all and I am not sure if they actually know the sweet strawberry knödel.
Most probably they might know the apricot version of the sweet knödel which is by the way much more common in the mountains.
But since I don’t get Apricots here but I was still getting the taste for that dish I decided to make my dumplings with strawberries.
Strawberry Knödels are made of an outside layer of choux dough, covering the strawberry inside.
The ball is then covered with butter breadcrumbs and some sugar is sprinkled on top.
It is a lovely surprise for somebody who hasn’t seen this dessert before and I have to say that I have not tasted anything which comes close to those knödels.
The trick I believe is in the dough, there is a technique to follow precisely, that’s why I was more detailed with my step by step pictures today. I would love to see some of you attempting this recipe and of course I would be thrilled to know if you liked it.
I had promissed you today that I would be announcing the Winner of my “Virtual Market tour through Mapusa, Goa” Give Away, here we go!
The Winner is…
Congratulations to you! You have won this original package containing a hand engraved bowl, a ladle made of Coconut and a set of different Indian Tea leaves!
I ll get in touche with you shortly.
Thank you all for participating! =)
I ll be organizing some more Giveaways soon, so keep in touche!
- 25 grams Butter
- 250 milliliter Milk
- pinch Salt
- 150 grams white Flour
- 2 Egg yolks
- 12 Big Strawberries
- The first step will be to create the choux dough. To do so take a pot and add in the 25 g Butter and the 250 ml Milk and the Salt, keep on medium heat and allow it to come to a boil. Take the pot with the liquid short away from the heat and add in the flour, keeping on stirring at the same time.
- Take the pot back to law heat and keep on stirring! Don't waste time at this point, stay focused because its important that you follow this step! While you keep on stirring, the dough will form a ball and at the bottom you will notice a layer of sticking flour. That is a sign that you did all correctly well!
- Take the dough out and allow it too cool for some time, once it is ready add the egg yolk to the dough, working the yolk with your hands gradually into the dough. When you do that make sure the dough is really cooled down or you ll have bits forming and the dough won't bind anymore how it is suppose to. Form it into a big long sausage as shown.
- Cut 12 slices out of the sausage and take it into your hand with a pat dried strawberry at the center. Cover the strawberry with the dough and close it well or the chance that it will open while boiling will be higher. It is important that it is well closed! Roll it a bit to form it into a smooth ball and keep aside. Do that will all slices and strawberries.
- While you were forming the dumplings you kept a big pot with water to boil. Once it is boiling well add in the dumplings carefully and keep the flame on slow and stir every now and then, so that they don't stick at the bottom. Cook them for 7-10 minutes.
- While the dumplings are cooking, take out a pan and fry the Breadcrumbs with the Butter (ratio should be 1:1, to your liking). The breadcrumbs should have a gold brown hue when finished fried.
- The Dumplings are ready when they swim on top. Take them carefully out, strain a bit the water and directly roll them into the breadcrumbs butter mixture. Coat them well.
- Before you serve them sprinkle some sugar on top to your liking. enjoy!