This Ivy Gourd salad was created by me after falling madly in love with the ivy gourd fruit/vegetable.
As you may remember, I had posted last month a Veg Goan tendli bhaji recipe, where I explained all the uses of this delicious fruit/vegetable.
By the way I am intending to take seeds back to Europe, so I ll be able to report it’s growth here online.
It would be wonderful , if it were possible to grow ivy gourds in Europe!
This delicious newly created Tendli salad is an excellent cooling Appetizer in the summer months.
I have used Tulsi leaves (Holy Basil) to garnish the dish, although you can try it out with the common Italian Basil too.
Tulsi was chosen because it’s not so strong and rather tastes quite smooth.
If you decide to use Italian basil I recommend to use a minimum of the green leaves, or else the flavors might overpower the whole dish.
What wine do I recommend for this dish?
The Tendli Salad goes well with red wine.
I used Madeira Nasiq Indian wine, and I even serve it with a Goan fresh cheese called “Tomme de Goa” and bread.
The cheese is amazingly flavored with herbs and garlic, so its a quite a delight and I would say a 5 Star flavor combination all together!
Ivy Gourd Salad with Coconut Vinegar Dressing – Tindora, Tendli gourd Recipe below:
Dear Reader, have you ever come across an Ivy Gourd?
- 10 Ivy Gourds
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 1 Pomegranate
- ½ medium Pineapple
- 1 Grapefruit
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Vinegar or other organic Vinegar
- pinch Salt & Pepper
- First of all cook the Tendli around 8 minutes, that will take out the slimy, raw taste. Allow the Tendli to cool after boiling. Remove the ends to process and cut into slices, keep aside.
- Rinse and cut the Tomatoes and keep aside, then cut the Grapefruit into half and remove the flesh with either a special citrus cutter or with a knife (and your fingers for help).
- Remove and cut the pineapple skin, plus the inner flesh. Cut into small cubes and keep aside.
- Half the Pomegranate and take out the red flesh seeds and keep aside.
- Arrange all the Salad ingredients for serving.
- For the Dressing combine the above mentioned ingredients and pour over the Fruits.
- Chop the fresh Tulsi leaves and garnish the salad with the greenery.