Vodka Cookies are for sure a completely new concept, especially during the merry Christmas time. Yet I felt compelled to share these colorful and fun cookies with you. Usually it’s all about rum, egg liqueur and other fancy alcohol flavors at this time of the year but when you live in the Indian coastline state of melting cultures then you need to think out of the box to express the soul of the happy emotions during the tourist season here.
For the past years I have earned a few new Russian friends in Goa and when you think of Russia then Vodka isn’t far, right? The rare times when I go for a drink, I choose Vodka because of it’s clear color and flavor. It reminds me a bit of Schnapps and I guess because of that I prefer Vodka above Whiskey or Rum.
I found a vodka cookie recipe once on a shabby old torn out magazine page in my mums kitchen which was the reason why I was inspired to make vodka cookies. When you use Vodka in your baking, the flavors evaporate mostly so use a quality Vodka brand for best results in the first place. The main vodka flavors on the cookie are mostly in the colorful icing.
I wanted to make the icing yellow and I did add blue and green sugar decoration but of course you may prefer to use a different color theme. Personally I can tell you that people like the idea of yellow and blue on vodka cookies because of the association with Russia. Russians in general dress and follow a vivid color code here in Goa and bright colors such as pink, yellow and turquoise blue have been defining the Russian spirit in the past years.
Have you used Vodka in your baking before?
- 200 grams Flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 50 grams powdered Sugar
- pinch Salt
- 8 grams package Vanilla Sugar or 20 grams homemade Vanilla sugar
- 1 Egg
- 100 grams soft Butter
- 5 drops Lemon Essence
- 1 Tablespoon Vodka
- 50 grams powdered Sugar
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 Tablespoon Vodka
- ...and Sugar deco such as blue sugar balls
- Mix the flour with baking powder, Sugar, Salt and Vanilla Sugar first and then add the wet ingredients the Egg, soft Butter, Lemon Essence and Vodka.
- Mix the whole content and then work out for a few minutes to a smooth dough.
- Form into a big sausage and wrap into plastic and let the dough cool for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Just before you roll out your dough, preheat your oven to 180 Celsius.
- Take out form the fridge and roll your dough 4 millimeter thick out. Cut out with a cookie cutter while using extra flour at the side so that the dough shapes don't stick.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes.
- While the cookies cool prepare the icing by mixing the powdered sugar with the food coloring and Vodka. Place the icing into a piping bag and decorate your cookies with the icing and then push the colored sugar balls into the icing.
- Let the icing get hard and store in a airtight container if you live in the tropics and in a cold climate store in a metal box (+Apple skin to keep the apples soft).
Prize #1: 1 (one) KitchenAid 9-Speed Hand Mixer plus 1 (one) 4lb bag of Zulka Pure Cane Sugar
Prize #2: 1 (one) OXO gift set including the following: 1 (one) 3-in-1 Egg Separator, 1(one) Cookie Press, 1(one) Autumn Cookie Disk Set, 1(one) 3 piece Cookie Cutter Set, 1(one) Bowl Scraper, 1(one) 2 Cup Adjustable Measuring Cups
Prize #3: 1 (one) King Arthur Flour gift set including the following: 1(one) King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour -5lb bag, 1(one) Snowflake Cookie Cutter Set, 1(one) King Arthur Flour Pure Vanilla Extract, 1(one) Sparkling Sugar Collection, 1(one) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Wafers – 16oz and 1(one) 4lb bag of Zulka Pure Cane Sugar
Prize #4: 1 (one) Silpat Halfsize Mat and 1(one) 4lb bag Zulka Pure Cane Sugar
This giveaway is open to US residents from November 11, 2013 through November 16, 2013 11:59pm EST and will be picked from random draw. The winners will be notified via email and have 72 hours to respond, if not their prize is forfeited and another winner will be chosen.
How to Enter:
Mandatory Entry: Leave a comment with your favorite cookie to bake during the holidays or for cookie swaps.
Many more ways to enter in the rafflecopter widget!
More cookie Recipes!
- Black Forest Sandwich Cookies by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chewy Cocoa Fudge Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies by i heart eating
- Macadamia and White Chocolate Chip Cookies by In The Kitchen With KP
- Maple Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Cups by Beyond Frosting
- Maple Cookies by Total Noms
Monster Cookies, All Kinds of Evil Chewy Goodness by Texana’s Kitchen
- Nutella Cookies by NinjaBaking.com
- Nutmeg Logs by Love and Confections
- Oatmeal Raisin by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Peanut Butter Blossoms by Like Mother Like Daughter
- Pumpkin and Apple Dog Cookies by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Raspberry Streusel Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with Cinnamon Frosting by Chocolate Moosey
- Spicy Ginger Chews by Crumb
- Vodka Cookies by Masala Herb
The Voska cookie was mentioned at Copykat.com. Discover more cookie ideas!
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- 30 Minutes Pan-Fried Salmon in White Wine Sauce with Tagliatelle Pasta Recipe - March 28, 2017
- Fragrant Rice Recipe with Clove – Easy Aromatic Rice Side Dish – How to make fragrant rice - March 24, 2017
- Simple Caprese Salad – Italian Tomato Mozzarella Basil Olive Oil Insalate – How to make Caprese Salad - March 23, 2017