Goan Choriz Sausage

by Helene Dsouza on March 23, 2012

Some years back when our restaurant used to be open in the monsoon, we had one young couple which would come everyday and they would sit there for hours talking with each other. They were Russians and they didn’t know much English. The first time they sat in our place they got attracted by the word “sausage” in the choriz sausage bread and so ordered it. The next thing I remember was me bringing the stuffed bread and watching the girl take the first bite and ouch..! Her face was deep red and she was looking totally shocked! It was her first time and her boyfriend had thought it to be funny by not informing her of the spiciness. He was having a blast, couldn’t stop laughing at all!

Goan Choriz sausage, also known as chouriço, is made of Pork meat, Vinegar, chili, ginger, garlic and other spice mixes. It is very popular amongst the locals in Goa, India, especially amongst the Christian communities. The deep red sausage balls are mostly known to be eaten in a simple Pao bread. Its a quick delicious street food, I can eat it any time, its always satisfying! The best choriz qualities are in my experience from South Goa and Old Goa, but I guess that’s a taste story too.

Goan Sausage masalaherb.com

In general there are different types of spice grades of choriz in local markets. Many of the local ladies make them at home for the market sale so each and every sausage ladies (that’s how we call them) sausages taste differently. Not only that some sausage qualities are wet and some are dried too, an other difference can be the amount of fats in each ball. I personally prefer the leaner, dried middle spiced Goan sausage.  Everybody has got their preference! Usually the sausages are sold in balls, right now the rate for 1 ball is 5 INR in Goa (which is changing constantly), which I feel is ok for a middle class family here.

I remember seeing choriz once some years ago in France in a supermarket, so I guess it should be available in cities all over Europe, especially in the UK with all the Goan communities there.

I hope you ll be able to get those delicious spicy meat treats, because I did prepare a western dish with choriz sausage today. My “Spaghetti carbonara with spicy Choriz” recipe is published in form of a guest post at Willyums today. Head over to Wills blog for the recipe and don’t feel shy to leave us a feedback or to share it with your friends! Food love should be spread! right people? ;)

Spaghetti carbonara with spicy choriz sausage

Today morning I had gone to the Friday Mapusa market, the place where I get all my groceries from (and the sausages). I thought it was about time for a post about it here, actually I remember somebody asking me to post pictures on Masala Herb of a Goan market (may the one shout out please). Some of my readers know what I am going to show here, its an experience in itself! Indian markets are….eam…. there are no words for it. Well you ll see it for yourself on Monday. Exactly! Monday the 26th of March 2012, here at Masala Herbe! A sneak peak photo for you all….

Mapusa market #Goa #India #travel masalaherb.com

Plus I ll be hosting the first Masala Herb give away here on Monday too, so stay tuned!!

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+4Pin on Pinterest1Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pageEmail this to someone

I had no idea that Indian-spiced sausage of any kind existed! How awesome. Must be super tasty.

Angelo

Its not Indian. Its GOAN.

Ashwin

Goa is in India duhhhhh

Neil

So is kerala. and you dont find GOAN sausages in kerala ! what is your point ??

Miguel

No it is Goan and not Indian. Remember India annexed Goa by force.

Rosie

Angelo and Miguel, I do not want to question on your IQ but it would be good if you don’t expose your dumb quotient by commenting on Goa and India. Goa is a part of India and without India, it cannot exist independently as some Pakistan or Bangladesh or China would take it over. Every Indian take pride in Goa and its food and culture. So, go and buy yourself a general knowledge book.

Luke FERNANDES

Really? Goa is in India? thanks for reminding us, bro. But oftentimes describing something as Indian does not quite cut it. The chorizo is pretty unique to GOA and does not relate India as much

Shuhan

thanks for introducing this to us! I learn soemthign everytime! it’s funny, how all cultures have a similar variation of a cured sausage!

Yummychunklet

Silly question, but is this goan choriz similar to the Spanish chorizo? Either way, your spaghetti looks very good with the choriz!

yeah in fact it is similiar. it isnt a silly question! ;)

Luke FERNANDES

NOT AT ALL SIMILAR!
The filling for the Goan sausages are not so finely chopped (little uneven sized bits of met) while the spanish and portuguese chorizo is more of a pasty meat mix filled into the casing. So it should be sliced or whatever

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen

I’ve never had this choriz sausage before. Is it similar to the Spanish chorizo? It sounds so exotic and interesting. I’m always ready for new gastronomic adventures. Must try! Thanks for sharing, Helene!

TastyGalaxy.com

Choriz sausage sounds interesting. I have never heard of it – thank you for sharing the pictures, now I know what it is.

Sofie Dittmann

“Choriz” as in chorizo? My husband LOVES that sausage. Does this kind contain horse meat? If you want that in Germany, you have to go to France to buy it. Great post. BTW, I just awarded you the “Versatile Blogger” award, just FYI. Have a great weekend!

Hi Sofie yeah choriz as in chorizo only that it is a bit different, made of pork meat and marinated with spices and vinegar.  thx for the award =)

Terra

In Tucson Arizona, near Mexico, we fell in love with Chorizo, which sounds similar to Choriz:-)  I love this sausage, and it is amazing in so many dishes.  I love your spaghetti carbonara, that would be so delicious:-) I love seeing the pictures of where you get your groceries, I look forward to enjoying more pictures:-) Hugs, Terra

Barb Bamber

This is so interesting.. I don’t think I know anything of this culture and the foods that are eaten! I’m excited to see your visit to the market!

Wok with Ray

Thank you for sharing this interesting post.  I’m sure those sausage were cured to perfection and that plate of spaghetti is mouthwatering.

Ilke Mcaliley

I am looking forward to the pictures of the market. Always love a good market visit. :)

Lizzy Do

Oh, your pasta looks fantastic! And I’m also thinking this sausage is similar to chorizo…so yummy!

Hotly Spiced

How lovely to have a couple visit your restaurant so frequently.  They must have really loved the food!  I think your choriz must be the same as the Italian sausage Chorizo?  That’s also made with pork, garlic, chilli and spices but it’s not sold in balls.  Your spaghetti looks very inviting!  xx

Choc Chip Uru

This sausage looks totally spicy! I bet my dad and bro would totally go for it (considering they are Indians too – no joke :P – therefore love their spice!)
Cute couple story too :D

Choc Chip Uru

Tina@flourtrader

We have the hispanic version of chorizo and it is tasty.  Also, due to the spice, I would say that a little goes a long way!  Interesting that India has their own version too!  Popping over to see the details of your guest post-yum!

Just like bacon, spaghetti with some choice of meat either bacon or sausages give great flavor.  It looks delicious, Helene!  And can’t wait to read about the market!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella

I had no idea that choriz was so popular in Goan cuisine! We seem to have fallen in love with chorizo here, I can’t get enough of it and as you say, everyone has their own preferences as to how they like it :)

Veronica Krystle Davis

I love to work with chorizo sausage. Can make quick and delicious meal.

Cookincanuck

Cute story about that sausage (the poor girl!)  I love the market picture.

Jamie

Love this! That choriz looks fantastic! We are market fanatics and I would love to visit a market in Goa with you! One discovers everything about local cuisine and culture at a market!  And we eat quite a bit of chorizo here so I’ll definitely be checking out your recipe!

Sissi

It sounds like the kind of food I would get addicted to! In France and Switzerland Spanish and Portuguese chorizo/chouriço is available, but it is never as hot as I like. The guy who sells excellent Spanish hams and sausages on my market used to sell extra hot chorizo and then stopped because probably the French clients were not keen on it :-( I love the Goan round ball shape!
I’m looking forward to see you Monday post photos!

Charles Smith

Is “choriz” the same as “chorizo”? I’ve only seen “chorizo” here – and never in the balls like this. I’ve always been a huge fan – it’s absolutely amazing so if this is anything like it then I know I’d love it – although not too spicy for me :D

I once gave an unsuspecting friend a dried chilli to eat for a joke – damn, I didn’t stop laughing for ages when I saw his reaction :D

choriz is similiar to chorico but the consistency and taste is a bit different. The goan choriz is much spicier. Its crazy hot! ;) lol now I know what u do with your friends! ;)

Nancy/SpicieFoodie

Hi Helene,
The choriz sounds a bit similar to Mexican chorizo but the difference being that your Choriz looks like a cured sausage. Is that correct? I love the idea of using the spicy sausage with pasta, my mouth waters :) Can’t wait to see your post tomorrow. I love seeing local sights on food blogs. See you tomorrow!

yes exactly its cured over a period of time. one more differnce I feel too is that this sausage is very very pungent spicy.

Christine

Great post. I love sausage.

Cass @foodmyfriend

I have a family friend that makes the most amazing salamis. Hangs it up in the pantry for a few months and then it is good to go! What amazing chorizo you have made :)

Amelia

Hi Helene,  I have not eaten this but it sure look interesting and delicious. Your spaghetti look tempting.

Have a nice day

Liz

I had no idea there was a goan version of chorizo, I use chorizo all the time but the ones you can get in Australia are very mild and not a patch on those I use to buy in Europe.  Would love to taste the Goan version – sounds delicious.

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef

Doesn’t that look delicious!  I love the color.

Asmita

Hi Helene,
I love Goan sausages. When we would visit Goa , we would usually carry these back with us with cashews and kokums. Love the color and flavor of this. A beautifully written post!

sausage cashew and kokums are a must in my bag too =)

I am hoping we get to visit Goa on our next visit to India — if we do, we must meet and you have to feed us this sausage. Looks delish :)

Yes! Let me know when you are around ;)

claudia

Hi, I live in Delhi and i would like to try this chorizo pao. Do you know where can i get goan sausages in delhi. and which kind of bread we eat with it?
thanks

Helene

Hi Claudia!

well… Delhi is pretty much unknown to me but I googled around and it seems that “Sugar and Spice” in Khan market should have choriz. Otherwise some gourmet shops in Khan market might have choriz too. Bread wise we usually use that simple soft white bread. They sell it all over Goa but I have never seen it in the north of India. anyway… any white bread will do, but you can always try with your favorite bread type like whole wheat bread. Hope that helps! =)

Larry

I will be holidaying in Goa next month. As I will be based in South Goa, can I know from where can I buy fresh Goan Sausages?

Helene

Hi Larry!

You will find the best choriz in a city market. Since you will be residing in South Goa, I suggest checking out the Margao Market. I know the north better, so if you ever get there then visit the mapusa market on a friday, in the market ask for the sausage ladies or also known as choriz ladies, people will direct you to them. When you buy choriz see that you check which type you prefer. There are wetter and drier types. We always buy the lean dry sausage, but I guess thats a taste story.

Rexy

Please provide me the address where i will get home made Choriz Sausages to buy. Thanks

Helene

Hi Rexy! as mentioned before… you can obtain fresh home made choriz made by local woman in one of the main city markets in goa (Mapusa, Panjim, Margao,..). Those local ladies are usually there on Fridays. If you are in the market just simply ask other vendors to direct you to them. Hope that was helpful!

Beyne Deborah

Hey Helene, I’m live in Paris and it’s been a long, long, time since I’ve been back to India/Bombay/Goa… But I do remembre the taste of goa sausages that my mum used to make. I would really like to know the recipe & perhaps make some here in France, for myself & daughter. My mum’s not anymore so I can not get her recipe.
Thanks for helping if you can!

Hi there,
Excuse my late reply (I think so I need to clone myself to get some extra help)
You know it’s definitely not easy to make goa sausage at home. At least nobody here makes it in my neighborhood. The ones who know how to make it won’t share the recipe or technique. However I will definitely dig around a bit and share it here in the future.

Joseph

Do you know of a good authentic Goan sausage site in US. I remember having them in boarding school in India and have been craving since. Thanks for your post.

Joseph

Ah I wish I knew! Some folks have been asking the same but for the Uk and also for Parra fish. I think so they used to sell Goan sausage in the Uk but then they stopped for some reason. Those are rumors, so I am not sure myself. Well, if I get any news I ll of course let you know as well. ;) Cheers!

D Pereira

Viva as Goeses! Eu sou Goes e eu mais gosto meu Goes Chorizo ;)

Wonderful ideas! Many people aren’t even aware that Goa exists. I miss Goa and I miss the way it used to be before India ‘liberated’.

Great job girl! Bravo!

I wish I knew Portuguese! ;)
You are absolutely right, Goa isn’t very known in the world.
Can I ask you which chorizo you prefer, the Goan or Portuguese kind? I am just curious =)

Jeff

Interesting to see the reaction of people about Goa Sausages. I must say how lucky I am to have tasted Goa Sausages again and again and I still can’t get enough.

I would like to know if Goa Sausages are allowed into Australia for personal consumption.

Hi Jeff,
I feel the same way about goa sausage, it has a unique flavor and I can’t get enough of it either.
Unfortunately I don’t think that one can send choriz to Australia. It’s will be taken by the customs as it is the case in the UK and US.