Homemade Brioche #Sundaysupper

by Helene Dsouza on January 12, 2014

Breakfast month has been going well in my corner of the world! In fact, my resolution has proofed to be a full success or so says my husband whenever he is happily nibbling on his breakfast goodies. The other day I baked some homemade brioche for you all as you can see. Brioche is a half sweet, buttery soft bread commonly prepared in France. My french grandmother would make it frequently because you need to know, we are a very big family, also it’s quite a basic easily prepared recipe. She would prepare her homemade brioche the night before, the gorgeous looking dough would rest over night and in the morning it would be popped into the oven.

Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.comI like this approach and after having tried a few different recipes and dough tactics, I came to the conclusion that her recipe is a solid success! In short, the day before I bake the homemade brioche, I mix and work out the yeast dough. I let it rise in it’s own time, work it out again, pop it into the fridge over night (in oldern times they would just leave it out and you can do that too but I won’t because of ants in tropical India), take the dough out the next morning, shape it, leave it to rise a bit more, cover with egg yolks and bake it. That’s it!

It’s a very basic and simple bread, nothing fancy but a homemade brioche does taste sensational which is why I love to make it. Also this is a recipe that everybody can try because it includes basic ingredients such as plain flour, sugar, yeast, salt, eggs, milk and butter. In the western world I would always use some bakers flour or in general quality flour but in India we don’t have much choice and I use those loosely packed flours from the neighboring shop. I could also get some wheat grains and walk to the mill so that they transform it into a fine flour, but I don’t. There is a limit to my from scratch options and my time, although the self milling option might not be a bad one if you prefer it this way.

Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.com

Just a note for those living in the Indian Subcontinent… I don’t use active yeast made in India since I haven’t found a brand that has been as effective as the ones from Europe. However, the best option for you to make this brioche bread is to use fresh cube yeast which should be easily available in the urban and semi rural areas in India. The brand-less fresh yeast has proofed to work very well! Also, before I keep my freshly made dough to rise, I warm up my oven for a few seconds until it’s nice warm inside and then I just pop in my flour and cloth covered dough so that it can rise beautifully.  I do this because yeast needs to rise in a warm environment, but while following this trick please keep in mind that yeast is a living being and that it will die (and in turn not rise!) if the environment is above 40 Celsius. Back in Austria, when I visited the hotel management college, we had a heat cabinet where we would keep our doughs to rise and my trick with the oven is basically a copied approach of the heat cabinet.

Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.com

Anyway… Today I have joined the #Sundaysupper movement once again after having taken a break in the last months. We celebrate a grande 2nd anniversary on this day and of course I couldn’t have missed this cool event. As it comes, 2 years ago, at the inception of this noble idea, the founding #Sundaysupper members had shared their first ever Sunday supper Recipes and one of the recipes was a Brioche by Donna from Cookistry. As you can guess, it was about time for me to share some homemade brioche goodness here! #Sundaysupper could only be a massive success, motivating simple folks like you and me all over the world and naturally I am proud to say that I am a #Sunsaysupper participant!

This brioche recipe is great when you have 1-2 hours extra time in the morning on the weekend. You could surprise your loved ones with your new baking skills and these breakfast brioche rolls. Normally brioche is turned into one big braided “loaf” but I prefer the rolls shape because I tend to give a few away and rolls are just easier to handle in a smaller oven such as mine. Enjoy and if you have any questions, please let me know with a comment on this post!

Homemade Brioche

Recipe type: Bread, Breakfast
Cuisine: French
Serves: 8 rolls
Prep time:
Cook time:

Nothing beats freshly homemade brioche rolls in the morning!
  • 330 grams All Purpose Flour (Maida) (250 + 80 grams for working out)
  • 50 grams Sugar
  • 2 pinch Salt
  • 5 Tablespoons luke warm Milk
  • 5 grams Dry active yeast or 12 grams fresh yeast
  • 2 big Eggs and 1 small Egg or 2½ Eggs
  • 130 grams soft Butter
  • 2 Egg Yolks
  1. In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients first, 250 grams flour, sugar and salt. Mix the yeast into the luke warm milk (The milk must not be hot or the yeast will die!) and wait until you can see some bubbles form (that's to test if your yeast is alive and healthy). Add the milk and yeast to the dry ingredients. Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.com
  2. Break the Eggs into a bowl and whisk them. Add them too to the flour mixture. Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.com
  3. Mix the whole flour bowl content well and work it out into a half smooth ball. Then add 5 smaller batches of the soft butter to the dough, one at a time and always add some of the remaining 80 grams of flour until you have used it all up. Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.com
  4. Turn the dough into a smooth ball, cover with some flour and a kitchen cloth and place in a warm environment for 2 hours to rise. Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.com
  5. After 2 hours of rising, your dough should be double size and have cracks on top. Work out the dough shortly so that the extra air comes out. At this point I keep it in a covered mold over night out or in the fridge to rest. Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.com
  6. The next morning, work out your dough once again with some extra flour and form into 8 equal balls. Place into a greased mold and keep to rise again for ½ hour. Once they have risen again, preheat your oven to 180 Celsius and mix 2 egg yolks together and brush the yolk on top of the rolls so that they will have a golden finish. Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.com
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the homemade brioche is done (check and poke into the bread with a skewer, if it comes out clean, it's ready) at 180 Celsius.
  8. Best enjoyed warm!

Homemade Brioche www.masalaherb.com

Happy Birthday #Sundaysupper! See what my friends have prepared for this occasion…

Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:

Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:

Spectacular Soups and Salads:

Enticing Entrees:

Decadent Desserts:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Sunday Supper Movement

Share on Facebook5Tweet about this on Twitter54Share on Google+75Pin on Pinterest381Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pageEmail this to someone

I am Helene, the author behind Masala Herb! My aim is to show you an incredible world full of surprises. Food, Culture and Travel are my forte and that's what I enjoy. Follow my Food and Travel adventures and learn some incredible things!Now in the beautifull Indian coastline state, Goa.

Rosa

Wonderful! Homemade brioches are so delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

Liz

So glad you are back for this celebration with your gorgeous brioche, Helene! I love having old friends in this group…and you’re at the top of that list! xo

Renee

Nothing like those old family recipes for success. You know it’s tried and true and I’m so glad you shared this one for the Sunday Supper anniversary.
Renee recently posted..Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Marie@citronlimette

These brioches look so delicious.
Marie@citronlimette recently posted..Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini #SundaySupperMy Profile

Katie

I can’t get over how golden and perfect these brioche look! I have never attempted to make some myself, but I really need to put it on my to do list very very soon!
Katie recently posted..Frozen Chocolate Dipped Banana Pops for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Renee - Kudos Kitchen

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a prettier brioche! The color you achieved is spectacular!
Renee – Kudos Kitchen recently posted..Orecchietti with Chicken, Broccoli, Mushrooms and Onions for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Jennifer B

Perfection! Really, these are so golden and beautiful. I have to put brioche on my to-make list very, very soon.
Jennifer B recently posted..National Curried Chicken Day | Curried Chicken for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom

Absolutely gorgeous!!!! Love Brioche rolls!! I have been trying to “pin” this several times and it says “not a valid image” . . help!
Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Poached Pear Bread for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Angie@Angie's Recipes

These brioche buns look divine!
Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Chocolate Spelt CookiesMy Profile

Family Foodie

It’s great to have you back! So glad you made this beautiful recipe by Donna! It is just fabulous and I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for being part of the Sunday Supper Family.

Amy Kim

Great to see you back! These look gorgeous! I should try to be more adventurous and try baking more often…
Amy Kim recently posted..Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls #SundaySupperMy Profile

Terra

Homemade brioche is beyond delicious!!! Your recipe looks lovely, and would be an awesome way to start any day!!! I love that you made them into rolls, instead of a loaf:-) Beautiful, Hugs, Terra
Terra recently posted..Boozy Apple Cider CakeMy Profile

Stacy

Your grandmother was a very smart woman, Helene. I love that she made the dough the day before so it could be popped in the oven the next morning.

I finally tackled brioche myself for the first time and it is so much easier than the hype led me to believe. Your buns are such a gorgeous golden brown! I am jealous that you are finding fresh yeast in India. I have yet to locate a source here in urban Dubai!
Stacy recently posted..Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Tammi @ Momma's Meals

Wow these look fabulous!! Warm and hearty, so glad you decided to join us again! Happy Sunday to you and yours.

Tara

My husband loves making brioche and I am very happy about that!! Yours looks so gorgeous, love the deep rich looking color!!
Tara recently posted..Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Constance Smith

Oh my heavens. We LOVE brioche around here. We’ll eat it plain with nothing on it, and feel so guilty, because it is just SO GOOD. LOL Gorgeous recipe.
Constance Smith recently posted..Pizza Dip | #SundaySupperMy Profile

Jamie

Splendid! I love brioche but for all the yeast baking I do I have never made it! I love the step-by-step pics which is something I really appreciate when attempting something that makes me rather nervous. Lucky you for having a grandmother who made it. Lovely! And yes, the perfect breakfast.

John@Kitchen Riffs

I love brioche! It’s not a bread we make that often, and should. I have really good luck with instant yeast. You can just mix it in with the dry ingredients – no need to proof. We buy it by the pound and store it in the freezer. It keeps for a couple of years at least that way, which is about as long as it takes us to go through that amount! Good post – thanks.
John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Couscous with Dried FruitMy Profile

Katy

I am in awe of your brioche – absolutely beautiful! Lovely idea to do it as little rolls to share around.

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious

These look perfect!
Lauren @ Healthy Delicious recently posted..Provencal Seafood Stew #SundaySupperMy Profile

Laura Dembowski

Homemade brioche is always such a treat and your rolls look wonderful!
Laura Dembowski recently posted..Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars #SundaySupperMy Profile

Arlene @FlourOnMyFace

What a beautiful photo of your very delicious looking Brioche. I am going to have to try this recipe!
Arlene @FlourOnMyFace recently posted..Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia | Happy Birthday #SundaySupperMy Profile

Bea

These sound delicious, Helene.

I am so glad that we met through Sunday Supper – viele liebe Grüße aus Portand, Oregon an Dich in Indian. You know from one expat European to another :)
Bea recently posted..Celebration Strawberry Crepes for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious

I have never made brioche, but reading this, I now have the confidence to do it!

I have loved being a part of Sunday Supper, and cooking along with everyone each week.
Cheers to another great year!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Banana Breakfast Cake with Pecan Streusel ToppingMy Profile

Hezzi-D

Your brioche looks so amazing with the deep golden coloring! My mouth is watering!

Shannon R

Your brioche looks divine. I never even thought of the regional differences of yeast, even commericial yeast! Thanks so much for pointing that out. I make a lot of bread and I never even thought of it.
Shannon R recently posted..Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies Recipe #SundaySupperMy Profile

Cindys Recipes and Writings

Nice to see you Helene! Your brioche looks so tender and flaky!
Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Imagination Stew #SundaySupper turns 2!My Profile

Lizzy (Good Things)

I can hardly wait for the cooler weather so I can bake this, Helene, just gorgeous and reminds me of my mother xox
Lizzy (Good Things) recently posted..Growing potatoes in a half wine barrel – a photographic essayMy Profile

DB-The Foodie Stuntman @ Crazy Foodie Stunts

Hmmm…this is the second homemade brioche recipe I’ve seen on #SundaySupper today. Very impressive and I may have to make an attempt myself.
DB-The Foodie Stuntman @ Crazy Foodie Stunts recently posted..Presenting: Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad as #SundaySupper Turns TwoMy Profile

Helene, I love brioche and I don’t make it often enough!
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..In My Kitchen, January 2014 – finallyMy Profile

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere

The best brioche I ever had was when I was studying in Paris. I keep meaning to try my hand at making it, but non of the recipe pictures look like what I remember. Yours looks very close. So I’m excited to give it a try!
Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere recently posted..Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake #SundaySupperMy Profile

The Ninja Baker

How fitting, Helene, to introduce your family brioche recipe to the Sunday Supper family =) Your bread – besides – #SS’s second birthday truly is a cause for celebration…Your brioche truly looks like the sort I loved in Paris!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

I used to work in a bakery during my college years and simply adored brioche! Yours looks so heavenly Helene! I wish I had me some to nibble on tomorrow morning!
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Oatmeal Pancakes!My Profile

Joanne T Ferguson

G’day Helene! What a GREAT round up and I LOVE brioche too!
Pinned your photo…shared with Twitter and is on my list to do! Thank you!
Cheers! Joanne
Joanne T Ferguson recently posted..ThermoFun #Thermomix January ‘Cook Off’ ChallengeMy Profile

Ramona

Lovely brioche. I promised my self this year, I was tackling some sort of bread making… you are making me want to do it soon. :)
Ramona recently posted..Salad Sub SandwichMy Profile

Soni

Ooh I’m craving your Brioche so badly Helene!!It looks so moist,so fluffy,so delicious!!I really have to start baking bread sooner than later :) Glad to see you back for Sunday Supper and its been so much fun cooking with you!
Soni recently posted..Chicken Shami Kebab #SundaySupperMy Profile

Shaina

Wow these look absolutely amazing. I wish I had the baking chops to churn out something as gorgeous as this bread!
Shaina recently posted..Mini Spinach Cups #FootballPartyAppsMy Profile

Laura Hunter

The golden colour you got with your brioche is gorgeous would love to have some right now.

Jane's Adventures in Dinner

Oh my goodness! This looks like the very best treat you good dream of waiting for you in the morning.
Jane’s Adventures in Dinner recently posted..A Winter Salad: Maple Bacon FennelMy Profile

Minnie@thelady8home

These look amazing Helene! You bake so well.

I had heard Eno works very well in place of yeast, is that true?
Minnie@thelady8home recently posted..Sindhi Chana Chaat – Chola or Chickpea salad spiced up and healthyMy Profile

Really eno?! I have never heard this before but I ll research a bit. I think it might be related to baking soda but I can’t imagine that it can replace living beings such as yeast. Will need to check out, thanks for that Minnie!

humm. I just left a comment but its not showing up? I will try again! It looks amazing. Love the brioche and you make it look sooo easy!
Kitchen Belleicious recently posted..Mardi Gras Kings CakeMy Profile

Courtney @ Neighborfood

Brioche is my favorite bread! I need to make this just so I can have brioche french toast.
Courtney @ Neighborfood recently posted..Cozy Cassoulet with Garlic Breadcrumb ToppingMy Profile

Laura @ Family Spice

Yummmmmm!!! Brioche!!! I do not have patience for bread, but brioche is one of my favorites. Beautiful picture, Helene!
Laura @ Family Spice recently posted..Eating Fresh: Blueberry Feta Quinoa SaladMy Profile

Anne @ Webicurean

Wow these rolls look perfect! I’ve always wanted to try making broiche, but sometimes I get intimidated by the whole loaf thing … making it into rolls is the perfect solution!
Anne @ Webicurean recently posted..Kahlua-Toffee Ice Cream Cake #SundaySupperMy Profile

easyfoodsmith

I have never made brioche and seeing your lovely baked foolproof recipe of brioche, I am going to give it a shot very soon. Thanks so much for sharing :-)
easyfoodsmith recently posted..MEETHI SAUNTH (Dry Ginger in Sweet Cream)My Profile