Goan Beef Croquettes #Sundaysupper

by Helene Dsouza on January 19, 2014

#Sundaysupper is back and this week we are all about tapas. If you are asking yourself what tapas means, it is basically the Spanish word for bite size appetizers, snacks and canapé. Remember my New Year’s post this season? I shared a New Year’s Eve Appetizer collection, rounding up the best treats made by my food blogger friends. I also shared the fact that I usually don’t make those appetizers but that I was an avid fan of homemade colorful, creative and above all tasty canapé. However, sometimes I like to make a batch and surprise visiting friends and I do have some goodie recipes in my repertoire. Take for example these Goan beef croquettes, they are mouthwatering good and unique in their own ways!

Goan Beef Croquettes www.masalaherb.comGoan beef croquette are a must in all kinds of family gatherings in Goa, especially in the catholic entourage. I noticed that goan beef croquette would never miss in festive times and that too for a good reason. I definitely enjoy munching on one or two croquettes and I do get the mellow spicy feeling of the meat. The inside is soft and the outer part is perfectly crispy fried, coated with semolina. Semolina is commonly used in Goa to coat meats and also fish, which was something new to me when I learned the local cooking because we mostly boil semolina in Europe.

To make Goan beef croquette you need to pick quality beef mince. I normally buy double ground beef from a trusted butcher locally (it might be known as special mince too). The meat should be red, fine and without impurities. I pick the right butcher because of hygiene concerns. Also I know that some locals like to make the goan beef croquettes with lamb meat instead of beef. I personally haven’t tried it yet for myself since I always prefer beef meat.

Goan Beef Croquettes www.masalaherb.com

The making of the beef croquette is very simple. The mince should be cooked with little water and ingredients such as onion, garlic, chilli’s and spices before being processed further. Then comes the blitz blending with lemon juice and the addition of soft fresh bread and an egg. Then you should mix it all, form the croquettes, roll in semolina before frying them crispy golden. Sounds easy and it is! Yet, when you make the goan beef croquettes, just make sure that the meat is not soaking in water after having cooked it with the flavor giving ingredients. This step is important because your meat mixture should be form-able and if it’s too wet, the croquettes don’t hold together.

In case you make a batch you can also freeze the not yet fried croquettes after having formed and coated them with semolina. I do it at times, because usually croquettes are only eaten 1-3 at a time and this batch will result in 20 pieces at least.

Goan Beef Croquettes www.masalaherb.com

Do you like tapas and what’s your favorite one?

Goan Beef Croquettes #Sundaysupper

Recipe type: Appetizer, snack
Cuisine: Goan
Serves: 20 croquettes

Goan Beef Croquettes are a quintessential treat at family gatherings in Goa and they have gained more and more value over the years!
  • 500 grams double ground beef mince (also known as special mince)
  • 2 medium sized purple onions
  • 2 centimeter fresh ginger peeled
  • 4 big garlic pods
  • ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
  • Salt according to your taste
  • 1 Teaspoon black Pepper
  • 2 Green Chillis
  • 1 dried red Chilli (Kashmiri Chili)
  • 80 milliliter Water
  • Juice of one lime (locally known as Indian Lemon)
  • 2 soft slice bread without the rind
  • 1 Egg
  • Semolina (locally known as Rawa)
  1. Add the meat mince to a pot with the roughly chopped onion, ginger, garlic and spices such as Turmeric Powder, garam masala, salt, pepper, roughly chopped green chillies and the dried red chilli. Also pour in the water and cook on slow to medium heat until all the water is absorbed and the ingredients are cooked. Important: the meat content should be dry! Goan Beef Croquettes www.masalaherb.com Goan Beef Croquettes www.masalaherb.com
  2. Allow to cool after cooking and then blend to a smooth texture with the lime juice.
  3. Add the meat mix to a mixing bowl and add the flaked slice bread with the egg. Mix it all so that all the ingredients are well combined. Goan Beef Croquettes www.masalaherb.com
  4. Keep in the fridge for 20 minutes. If the croquette mixture is cooled, it's easier to form them.
  5. Form your croquettes into cylinders or sausages as shown. The exact size and shape doesn't really matter. Just keep in mind that they will grow a bit in size while frying due to the egg. Then roll the shaped croquettes in the semolina. Goan Beef Croquettes www.masalaherb.com
  6. Heat up a pan with enough oil to shallow fry your goan beef croquettes on all sides until they are golden and crisp. Goan Beef Croquettes www.masalaherb.com

Goan Beef Croquettes www.masalaherb.com

Balsamic Raspberries with Mascarpone Cream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Gambas al Ajillo from Manu’s Menu
Squid in Garlic Chili Olive Oil from Food Lust People Love
Tortilla Española from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Croquetas de Pollo from Cookin’ Mimi
Low-Carb Salmon Croquettes from Yours And Mine Are Ours
Bruschetta Topping from What Smells So Good?
Herb Roasted Almonds from Curious Cuisiniere
Artichoke Heart and Manchego Spread on Fried Garlic Bread from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Tortillita de Camarones from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Patatas A La Riojana (Rioja-Style Potato & Chorizo Stew) from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Gambas al Ajillo y Clementina (Shrimp with Garlic and Clementines) from FoodieTots
Tortillas De Papa y Atun (Tuna and Potatoes Tortilla) from Basic N Delicious
Pocky Cake Pops from NinjaBaking.com
Chorizo Filled Dates Wrapped in Bacon from I Run For Wine
Manchego-Stuffed Spanish Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
Roast Onions with Blue Cheese and Pine Nuts from Healthy. Delicious.
Shrimp and Chorizo Tapas from The Texan New Yorker
Blueberry and Lemon Yogurt Quesada from In The Kitchen With KP
Chorizo with Spicy Sweet Potato Tapas from Soni’s Food
Chorizo and Manchego Toast Tapas from Family Foodie
Roasted Bone Marrow with Citrus Salad from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Mushroom Chevre Crostini from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Serrano Ham and Manchego Croquetas with Smoked Pimenton Aioli from My Other City By The Bay
Krab Filled Avocado Tapas from from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Polenta Crostini Bites with Caramelized Mushrooms: Cicchetti – A Venetian Tapas Tradition from La Bella Vita Cucina

And you know you can’t have a party without wine ~ at least you certainly can’t in my house. Martin Redmond is here to give you the perfect recommendations: Best Wines To Pair With Tapas from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

Sunday Supper Movement

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Share on Facebook8Tweet about this on Twitter6Share on Google+29Pin on Pinterest24Share on StumbleUpon1Buffer this pageEmail this to someone

Rosa

A great flavor combination and recipe! I’m sure those croquettes taste wonderful.

Cheers,

Rosa

Family Foodie

I love beef croquettes and I just love this version. Looking forward to trying this recipe!
Family Foodie recently posted..Chorizo Manchego Toast Tapas #SundaySupperMy Profile

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers

This is a different tapas! I love it! It sounds so yummy!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Giardiniera Salad #SundaySupperMy Profile

Nicole

Mmm… I want these. They look and sound fabulous. I love the flavors!
Nicole recently posted..Cheesy, Tortellini Tapas & Spicy Ranch Dip #SundaySupperMy Profile

Shaina

I’ve only ever heard of potato croquettes! These are very different and I’m sure delicious!
Shaina recently posted..Roasted Tomato Basil Flatbread for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Constance Smith

These look wonderful – like tiny little bite sized meatloaves ;)
Constance Smith recently posted..Caramelized Onion & Gruyere Bites | #SundaySupperMy Profile

Amanda @ MarocMama

Love it! There’s so few beef dish that are Indian that it’s really fun to find something different. Going to have the butcher double grind some meat for me and see the results!
Amanda @ MarocMama recently posted..Stuffed Green Queen Olives with Garlic Infused Olive Oil for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Laura Hunter

I have eaten potato croquettes before but these beef ones sound so much better. I can’t wait to try this.
Laura Hunter recently posted..Smokey Paprika Peppers #SundaySupperMy Profile

Susan

These look lovely and what a great interpretation of beef croquettes.
Susan recently posted..Roasted Bone Marrow with Citrus Salad #SundaySupperMy Profile

John@Kitchen Riffs

Gosh, this looks so great! These must have wonderful flavor – definitely something I should try. Thanks so much!
John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Oven Slow-Cooked BBQ Pulled PorkMy Profile

Stacy

What tasty little morsels, Helene! I love the spices, especially the chilies!
Stacy recently posted..Squid with Garlic Chili Olive Oil for #SundaySupperMy Profile

The Wimpy Vegetarian

I love this week’s theme – I’m learning so many new appetizers I’ve never heard of. These sound perfect for any party, Helene!
The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Artichoke Heart and Manchego Cheese Spread: #SundaySupperMy Profile

Sarah

I love spicy food, yum!
Sarah recently posted..Toast Topper #41: Bruschetta Topping – a Tapas #SundaySupperMy Profile

Martin Redmond

Helene – these look even more amazing than your description! I would so love these! Thanks for sharing!

I love croquettes of most any sort but these spicy beef ones sound really good. Honestly, what’s not made better by deep frying? :)
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..You CAN Grow Corn in a Small PatchMy Profile

Tammy Northrup

I’ve never had beef croquettes but this really sounds great! Pinning for later.
Tammy Northrup recently posted..Low-Carb Salmon Croquettes #SundaySupperMy Profile

The Ninja Baker

So interesting Helene that beef croquettes are a part of the traditional fare amongst Catholics on Goa…Such an amazing world we live in…It always fascinates me how different cultures influence each other. Looks like you’ve really mastered living in Goa – knowing who to trust for meat etc =) Anyway, your croquettes look and sound amazing. Have a beautiful Sunday, Helene!

Renee

This is the first I’ve heard or seen beef croquettes and I’m so intrigued with them. You know I love beef just about any way and I have to try these some time.
Renee recently posted..Herb and Citrus Marinated Olives for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Megan @ I Run For Wine

Love this unique take on croquettes!! The flavors sound incredible.
Megan @ I Run For Wine recently posted..Chorizo Filled Dates Wrapped in Bacon for #SundaySupper Tapas Party!My Profile

Liz

These look delicious, Helene! A great beef appetizer :)
Liz recently posted..Balsamic Raspberries with Mascarpone Cream #SundaySupperMy Profile

Manu

These look so yum! I have eaten potato chops made with beef (my mother in law makes great ones!), but I have never had these… not yet! I will have to try them! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious

Intriguing!

Choc Chip Uru

What a delicious and cute looking appetiser :D

CCU
Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Party In The USA – Part IIMy Profile

Ramona

These beef croquettes remind me of cutlets that we always have in Sri Lanka for parties. We bread them… but I never thought to try semolina. They look tasty and I can see why it’s a must to have them at any party. :)
Ramona recently posted..Kale Strawberry Orange Smoothie – Kale WeekMy Profile

Soni

Ooh love these croquettes and love the spices! I also like to coat my patties in semolina many times and I love how crispy it comes out :)
Soni recently posted..Chorizo and Spicy Sweet Potato Tapas #SundaySupperMy Profile

Cindys Recipes and Writings

Perfect little beefy bites!
Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Tortillita de Camarones (Shrimp Cakes) Tapas #SundaySupperMy Profile

Janie

They look really tasty Helene, have bookmarked!
Janie x
Janie recently posted..Super Speedy Sweetcorn SoupMy Profile

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

Love your version of croquettes, Helene! The semolina coating is indeed intriguing!
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Almond Honey Pancakes!My Profile

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere

I love the flavor combination here! These sound fantastic!
Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere recently posted..Whole Wheat Pizza Crust in the Bread MachineMy Profile

Gintare @Gourmantine

That’s an interesting take to coat croquettes in semolina, and all the flavors in here sound great!

very interesting, very cool and very flavorful. looks amazing

Charles Smith

These didn’t look at all like what I was expecting, though that’s not to say they look any less delicious. I love croquettes – something exceptionally enticing about such small little pieces of crispy, fried deliciousness!
Charles Smith recently posted..Typically Swedish: Kokkaffe (Boiled Coffee) and a giveawayMy Profile