Welcome to Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
As you have noticed above, I am participating in the multi-blogger event #ChristmasWeek. That means in the next days, I and my fellow colleagues will introduce you to some of the best Christmas goodies in the world. I hope you will be able to take something from the big collection of Christmas desserts, cakes, wonderful smelling cakes and gorgeous cookie ideas.
Cinnamon is definitely the most popular spice in central Europe, or so it seems. You will find it in sweet desserts and baked good but rather less in savory dishes, although in India it’s also commonly used in savory dishes. Anyway, cinnamon is the star especially during Christmas time and for that reason I thought it was about time that I share my Gluten-free Cinnamon star cookies.
There is not much to tell about the cinnamon stars except that they are completely gluten-free and stuffed with aromatic flavors which will transport you into a Christmas mood if you aren’t yet. It’s just that you will have to try them out for yourself to understand what I mean. The recipe was given to me by my family. I tried to find out where it originated but it’s not very clear. What I know is that the Gluten-free Cinnamon cookies take a big importance in nowadays Christmas culture in Europe. In fact they are as common as the famous Vanillekipferl and Lebkuchen cookies.
A while back I received a bottle of cherry schnapps as a gift form my friend in Germany. The most common use for Cherry schnapps is as a flavor enhancer in the well known Bavarian Black Forest Cake but I had another brilliant idea for it. According to me, cinnamon and cherry schnapps compliment each other perfectly, so I dropped some of the cherry schnapps alcohol into the Gluten-free Cinnamon Star cookies. This has been for sure one of the best flavor combinations that I have come up with, in fact I can’t imagine to bake gluten-free cinnamon star cookies again without the cherry schnapps. Of course I can imagine that some of you will have a hard time getting cherry schnapps so in that case you can just omit the alcohol. I am not sure if another schnapps or alcohol type would make sense instead of the cherry schnapps so that’s why I suggest to keep it out if there is no way for you to buy cherry schnapps.
- 200 grams Powdered Sugar
- 2 Egg Whites
- 300 grams Almond flour
- 2 Tablespoon Cherry Water
- 1½ Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- pinch Salt
- Eggwhite of 1 egg
- 200 grams powdered Sugar
- few drops of water (optional and only if the glaze is too thick)
- Separate the egg whites from the yolk. Keep the egg yolks for another dish. Beat the Egg whites to a stiff consistency. Then continue to beat the eggs and add a batch at a time of powdered sugar until all the powdered sugar is added to the egg whites. The consistency should be a bit thicker at this point.
- Now add the almond flour, cherry water, cinnamon powder and pinch of salt and mix the whole content with a spoon. You will notice that the dough will get tough and sticky. Form the dough into a ball
- Spread a clean wrap on the working surface and wrap your dough into it. Let cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Before you take and roll out the dough, preheat the oven to 150 Celsius!
- First we will prepare the egg glaze by beating the egg white with the powdered sugar. Add a few drops of water if it is too thick.
- To roll out the dough place a baking sheet (butter paper) at the bottom and add some almond flour so that when you roll out the dough it won’t stick too much. Roll the dough out to a ½ centimeter thickness and cut out your stars with he cookie cutter.
- Place your stars on the baking sheet and with a fine brush spread the white sugar glaze equally.
- Bake at 150 Celsius for about 10 minutes. Once baked leave them out to cool before storing them in a airtight container or metal box. The cookies should be soft after they have cooled down.
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Magimix by Robot-Coupe. Magimix has an impressive history, and is the inventor of the first food processor for home cooks. Their machines are still handmade in Burgundy, France, and they are the only company to manufacture their own motors which feature a 30 year guarantee!
Chefs Catalog is offering a new, exclusive Magimix by Robot-Coupe 3200XL 12-Cup Food Processor package. The food processor features nested bowls, stainless steel blades, and a large feed tube. The included blender attachment transforms the processor into a fully-functional blender, and the citrus press is ideal for extracting juice from all types of fresh fruits. To enter, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for one Magimix by Robot-Coupe 3200XL 12-Cup Food Processor (in white)! This giveaway is open to Continental US residents only . When the contest concludes, the winner will be chosen by random draw. The winner will be notified through e-mail and they will have 3 days to respond or another winner will be chosen.***
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Magimix by Robot-Coupe. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
Coconut Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Covered Spoons by Cravings of a Lunatic
Chocolate Shortbread Bars by Juanita’s Cocina
Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Frosted Sugar Cookies by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Peppermint Mocha Brownie Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
Holiday Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Cranberry Pistachio Eggnog Bark by See Aimee Cook
Chocolate Peppermint Donuts by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Cranberry-Orange Gin Fizz by The Messy Baker
Pokey Fudge by Ninja Baking
Vanilla Wafer Holiday Bark by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Peanut Butter n’ Jelly Thumbprints by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Buckeyes by My Catholic Kitchen
Coconut Cream Tres Leches Cake by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
Gluten-free Cinnamon Star Cookies by Masala Herb
Nanny’s Pecan Pie by Food Lust People Love
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies by Jen’s Favorite Cookies
My Mother-in-law’s Fudge by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Peppermint Brownie Pops by Home Cooking Memories
Chocolate Cherry Hazelnut Fudge by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Flourless Peanut Butter Nutella S’Mores by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Cranberry Yogurt Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
Chocolate Pumpkin Bundt Cake by Liv Life
Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies by Try Anything Once Culinary
Peppermint Fudge by Like Mother Like Daughter