Soups were commonly prepared at home.
I am not a huge fan of soups, and prefer heavier meals, satisfying my craves, but I do prepare time to time soups in my kitchen.
Especially when the climate is cold and wet or when one of us at home is sick.
That’s when a liquid, healthy, hot, rich meal is a must, surrounding and changing your tensed stress full day with a warm, cozy and homely feeling.
- 1 medium onion – sliced finely
- 5 clove Garlic – crushed, chopped
- 1 Tomato – cubed
- 1 small carrot – cut in small slices
- 1½ medium size Potatoes – cut in small cubes or slices
- 1 handful Cabbage – shredded finely
- 1-2 cups Stock ( Veg/Chicken) or 1 Maggie cube
- 2 Bay leave
- Pepper balls
- Nutmeg – add carefully, tasting
- Soup noodles – optional
- Begin by washing, cleaning, peeling and cutting all the veggies. Next, add little oil in a soup pot and fry the cut onion and garlic, till the onions get a pinkish glossy hue. Now stir in 1 by one, first the tomatoes then the rest of the vegetables. Fry that all together for 1-2 mins, stirring occasionally, then add the stock (or dissolve a Maggie cube in some water) and some 2-3 cups of water to the veggies . Season with Bay leaves, Pepper balls, nutmeg and salt. Keep it on high heat till it boils up, then keep it for ½h to 1h, for the flavours to come out, on medium flame. You can add in some noodles 10 mins before serving. Enjoy hot!
The Noodles and the warm flavors, yummy and rich, making it a potential addiction prone delight.
My mother understood then, that smiley and ABC noodles would help me, a soup shy kid, to finish my plate with a satisfied tummy.