German Potato Pancakes - Kartoffelpuffer Recipe
Easy shredded and crispy fried German Potato Pancakes aka Kartoffelpuffer. Make these pancakes and serve as a side dish or snack with a delicious dip. See serving suggestions in the post.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 pieces
- 2 1/2 cups Potatoes medium-sized, shredded
- 1 Onion medium-sized, shredded
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Nutmeg grated
- 2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- Oil to fry about 1/8 for each batch
- Chives chopped, garnish
Wash and peel your potatoes. Shred them and collect in a bowl.
Peel Onion and shred as well.
Add salt, black pepper, flour and nutmeg to your shredded potato and onion.
Mix in all the ingredients.
Heat up a pan with the oil. Keep on medium to high heat.
With clean hands, take some of the potato pancake mass and form to a firm ball. Then press on a surface to flatten a bit.
When the oil is hot, place the pancakes into the pan.
Fry the German potato pancakes on both sides golden.
Take out from the pan into a serving dish. With a kitchen towel, tap excess oil away.
Serve warm with cut fresh chives as a side dish or as a snack with a dip.
- Use a hard to semi-hard potato variety. Those give the best results.
- Make sure there is sufficient oil so that the potato pancakes are fried crispy and evenly. Less oil will result in pancakes getting burned on one side and not being properly cooked in other places.
Serving: 68g | Calories: 50kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 291mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin C: 10.3% | Calcium: 2.3% | Iron: 12.5%