Vegan Stuffed Peppers Recipe with Rice Recipe
Savory Vegan stuffed peppers with rice and a homemade lovely flavored sauce to infuse the peppers with gorgeous flavors. Enjoy these stuffed peppers on their own as a plant-based meatless meal or serve with a main course dish as a side dish.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 3/4 cups Basmati Rice
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Oregano
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2/3 cup Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Basil leaves freshly chopped
- 4 Bell Pepper aka Capsicum/Paprika *see Notes
- some more olive oil to drizzle over stuffed peppers.
Cook the rice soft, strain and keep aside.
Heat up a pan and add the oil and sliced onions. Fry your onions and then add the garlic as well to fry. Cook till done.
Season with oregano and black pepper. Stir cook for a minute on medium heat.
Pour in the tomato paste and add the salt and chopped basil leaves as well. Mix it all well and let it cook for about 3 minutes.
Take the sauce from the heat.
In a bowl add the previously cooked rice and the tomato sauce that you just cooked. Mix it all together. This will be your filling.
Preheat your oven to 250 Fahrenheit/ 180 Celsius.
Wash your bell peppers well. Cut off the top hat part and take out the seed pods.
Arrange the peppers in a casserole dish. Stuff the peppers with the rice tomato sauce mixture. Stuff the peppers as much as possible so that all the filling is used up. Then cover the bell peppers with the hat.
Drizzle some of the olive oil over the peppers.
Cook the vegan stuffed peppers in the oven for about 50 mins or until done. (*seen notes for oven setting).
Serve hot as a main dish or as a side dish.
- You can choose whichever bell pepper you prefer. I like to use yellow or red ones. Just make sure that they are of the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Set your oven for baking but without the grilling option because the hats tend to burn and get black when the grilling option is turned on as well. If you can't turn off the grilling option, then just keep the hats off for the first 35 mins of cooking in the oven and place the hats on the peppers for the remaining baking time.
Serving: 281g | Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 644mg | Potassium: 797mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 89% | Vitamin C: 199% | Calcium: 7.4% | Iron: 15.8%