Chicken Geschnetzeltes with Hunter Sauce Recipe
Tender Chicken Geschnetzeltes cooked in a delightful mushroom cream hunter sauce. The perfect weeknight one-pan meal for two. Serve up with plain pasta noodles, Spätzle, dumplings or rice.
Prep Time7 mins
Cook Time18 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 servings
- About 1 1/2 medium sized Chicken Breast ~10.6 ounces
- 1-2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium sized Onion sliced
- 7 ounces Button Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika powder
- 1 piece Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Broth
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream or Fresh Cream (*see Notes)
- green Chives or Green Onion stalks chopped to garnish
Rinse your chicken breast and tap dry with a kitchen towel. Cut your chicken breast into bite-sized striped. Keep aside
Heat up a pan with the butter and add your sliced onion. Cook the onion soft and translucent.
Add your sliced mushrooms to the pan. Cook the mushroom until they have reduced in size as seen in the video.
Next, keep on medium to high heat and pour the wine over the mushroom. This is called to deglaze. The wine will evaporate so stir cook quickly.
Season with salt, black pepper, paprika and add a piece of bay leaf.
Now pour the broth and the cream into the pan over the mushrooms and mix it all well.
At this stage add your chicken strips. We add them now because they kind of get poached in the sauce and they won't overcook and get chewy but remain tender.
Mix your chicken geschnetzeltes into the mushroom sauce and turn them at some point so that they get cooked on all sides.
Cook until chicken is done but doesn't overcook!
garnish with freshly chopped chive pieces.
- Use Heavy whipping cream or fresh cream, because these contain more fats and don't separate when heated up. Fresh cream is a common french and European thing. If you can find fresh cream use that, otherwise liquid whipping cream. Eventually, if you don't have a choice simply use regular liquid cream but don't overheat it!
- Try to get A grade chicken breast. That's better quality and the chicken pieces won't turn that quickly chewy if you don't overcook them.
Serving: 473g | Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 128mg | Sodium: 1019mg | Potassium: 901mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1265IU | Vitamin C: 7.5mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1.4mg