It seems the weather is all upside down, you could call it the Indian April joke… Usually, around this time you would have stable weather conditions in Goa.
In a few words, the retrieving rains from the north are absent, the wind is still blowing from the west and one day it’s super hot and the next day it’s cool.
It might sound like nothing but believe me its super tiring for the body.
Even the European common weather changes are not as crazy as the few weather changes in the tropical Indian subcontinent.
I don’t know what to eat and I am getting digestion problems.
My husband is loosing appetite and he is more difficult then ever with food.
Pondering over a solution, I came to the conclusion of making healthier Indian summer dishes once again.
Since it’s so hot too, I have difficulties to be creative but luckily I keep a summer recipe list and my savory salad recipe is in this famous list.
I paired cantaloup slices with refreshing cucumber, sour and sweet orange pulp, autumn inspired plum chunks and purple onion pieces.
I topped the salad with my favorite salad dressing, a french vinaigrette.
The Dressing includes the homemade mustard version with oil, some white vinegar, salt and pepper.
You can always use the regular commercially available grainy Dijon mustard instead of the homemade version if you want.
We are all mostly used to sweet fruit salads but I think it’s definitely not a crime to use fruits in a savory salad.
Tomato is a fruit too, not a very sweet one, but it’s commonly used in all kinds of different salad versions in this world.
Guess who enjoyed the savory salad the most?
Yep, I am proud to say that my difficult man enjoyed it completely.
I made the salad for the first time back in June and he gave it a 5 star out of 5!
Obviously what he calls his favorite and what I enjoy has to be shared with the world, so here we go with the simple Savory fruit salad preparation.
Savory Fruit Salad with Cantaloup, Plum, Orange and Vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 1/2 small Cantaloup
- 1 Plum
- 1 Orange
- 1 small sized Cucumber
- 1 small Onion
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 Tablespoon White wine vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon style grain mustard
- Start by cleaning and cutting the fruits. Cut off the peel of the cantaloup and cut into small pieces.
- Cut your plum and discard the core.
- Peel your orange and cut out the seeds, cut the flesh into small pieces.
- Peel your cucumber and slice thine.
- For the Vinaigrette grab a jar with a lid. Add the Vinegar, salt and pepper first, close the jar and shake. Salt doesn’t get mixed in oil, that’s why we need to dissolve it first in the vinegar. Then add the oil and mustard, close the lid and shake well again until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and enjoy. If there is some dressing left, just store it in a closed jar in the fridge and use it for something else.