A few years ago my husband had introduced me to his absolute favorite pizza, baked and perfected of course by the all time famous Italian Restaurant Basilico in Goa. This particular pizza is known as pizza diavolo, translated meaning the devil’s pizza more or less. The thin crust pizza is topped with red & hot Goan pork sausage, which is better known locally as Choriz, and covered with a generous layer of mozzarella cheese. Addictive and sublime! So today instead of making a regular big pizza, and just copying a restaurant favorite, I created a mini Pizza recipe with Goan Sausage.
You, my Masala Herb readers, had been introduced to the Goan Sausage in the past, so that’s not new.For those who had missed some parts, you can learn more behind this particular sausage in the Savory Madeleine with Spicy Goan Sausage article and in the Mapusa Market article you ll learn where to buy the rare Goan Sausage.
-> Get the free Masala Herb Newsletter
Also, a few weeks ago I had posted a veg pizza version, a mini pizza recipe with mushrooms, and you might recall that I had reported my yeast adventurous, fails and success in Goa. Well, I am still pretty sure that the flour is the culprit but I can’t prove it yet since I had no chance to buy a different kind/brand in the neighborhood. Do any of my Indian readers know of a quality Flour (Maida) Brand in India? Can you recommend one? If yes let me know and I ll be happily testing it for everybody.
In the same mini pizza recipe with mushrooms you can find the from scratch recipe for the pizza dough. As I mentioned there too you can cut the rolled out raw pizza dough into squares or you can form them into rounds. For today’s Mini Pizza Recipe with Goan Sausage I decided to go for the square once since my friends had confirmed that they preferred the square pizza form.
My Other Recipes
How about you? Would you prefer square or round mini pizzas?
- about 60 milliliter Tomato Sauce or 4 tablespoons
- Pizza herb seasoning
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- about 8 inches of Goan Sausage or 4 Tablespoons full of sausage without fats. (Depends on the quality of the sausage)
- grated Cheese
- dash Olive Oil
- To make the pizza dough from scratch see here
- After your dough is ready and has risen work it out shortly with your clean hands and some flour. If you want square mini pizza, just roll out the whole dough and cut out squares as shown. Repeat the process until all dough is used. If you want round ones then just make a big fat sausage and cut it into pieces as shown.
- After that just dedicate a few moments to your goan sausage. Peel the skin and take out the chunks. For the pizza I discard the fatty parts but if you don't mind them you can add them to the topping but keep in mind to reduce the 5 inches of sausage to half of that. Roughly chop your goan sausage and keep aside.
- Now let's add some topping. Spread some tomato sauce on top of the flattened pizza dough then sprinkle the pizza herb, salt and pepper. Spread the roughly chopped sausage on top of that, grated cheese and add a few drops of olive oil to keep it a bit moist.
- Bake it a 220 Celcius for about 8-10 minutes or until the mini pizze got some colors.