Sometimes cakes need not be sweet, or stuffed with candied fruits or baked with a hint of rum aroma.
Several of us might not have left their ideas wander in those waters till now , so the notion might sound strange and bizarre.
I do believe several folks would agree, that there is nothing more intriguing, then a savory cake on a warm summer day.
As Snack or simply as little side, a cake can be savored and enjoyed throughout the day.
It isn’t surprising that this rich baked creation is part of the french cuisine and in general, belongs to the Mediterranean coastal kitchens.
My Mediterranean cake is another treasured family recipe.
I remember my mother preparing this delicious Mediterranean Carrot, Olive, Anchovy, Sundried Tomato cake since forever.
It wasn’t very often though, but it was always appreciated and devoured in no time.
The savory cake is more of as occasional treat especially in the summertime.
There are several cake recipes out there with different key ingredients, spice combinations and finishing touches.
Each of these have a special time of the year or occasion that they are made.
This Mediterranean carrot, olive, anchovy, sun dried tomato cake reminds me of the soft waves breaking the south European shores.
Enormous purple aromatic lavender fields, good wine and most probably the sound of chirping cicadas in the afternoon heat.
Ahhhh I am getting goosebumps at the thought of sitting there right now!
How to serve this Mediterranean cake?
Something I discovered while enjoying the Mediterranean cake was, that it was delicious when dipped like a bread in cold summer soups.
Such as a Orange Tomato Soup with Mozzarella or you can have your favorite salad paired with a slice of goodness.
Otherwise I love to have a slice or two at Brunch or even a Snack.
Covered the Mediterranean Carrot, Olive, Anchovy, Sun dried Tomato cake with a Cheese Spread or even just plain.
Savory cakes are highly adaptable and a must have this season!
Mediterranean Olive, Anchovy, Sundried Tomato cake
- 8.81 ounce Carrots
- 1.4 ounce Black Olive
- 1 ounce Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 6 Anchovy Fillets
For the Dough
to grease the baking shape
- Grate the carrots, cut the Olives into thin slices, the Tomatoes into strips and chop the Anchovies
- For the dough, combine in a bowl the whole wheat flour,Eggs, Olive Oil, Milk Baking Powder and Salt and mix it all well, smooth.
- Add to the batter the cut carrot, Olive, Tomatoes and Anchovy and mix it again well.
- Spread butter into your cake mold and spread out the flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius.
- Now pour the mixed batter into the cake mold.
- Bake it at 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius for about 40 min.