Pasta is one of those simply ingenious food inventions of the antic, the worlds favorite staple and go to dish for a busy week night dinner.
A good pasta sauce is the wheat dish’s other half and honestly, who would enjoy a plain pasta without a sauce or at least some Olive oil?
We are big pasta eaters and a pasta sauce can make my day, of course if prepared properly.
That doesn’t mean that I limit myself on the original, traditional Italian sauce types.
No, I like to play around with new flavors and base ingredients.
A sauce such as the old but popular Marinara Sauce might be The killer dish, but I would enjoy it only once in a while.
At times I also cook up an Indian style pasta sauce or in today’s case, a bright yellow lemon Pasta sauce full of vibrancy and character.
Discovering new flavors, as you know, is a little hobby of mine.
Mix it, blend it taste it and repeat.
I could go on doing this the whole day long, if the mountains of dirty dishes weren’t waiting for my attention.
Did you know as well that two wrongly combined flavors in a dish could take me so far that I wouldn’t bother to taste it.
A few years ago I had the chance to learn about spices and their combination uses and as you can imagine, not every dish turned always edible.
I mean yes I learned my lesson and in a way I welcome it since it helped me to understand the essence for certain lesser known to me ingredients.
That is how cooking should be, an endless discovery of the Tastology.
A little ride for the senses and a feeling of enlightenment and satisfaction when making new discoveries.
Failures are just part of the learn progress and there is nothing wrong in that.
I would say that it is healthy so that you as a home cook get to understand the use and effect of each ingredient.
So when you make my Lemon Pasta Sauce, you will be thinking of my words.
First you will build up the sauce and then you will give it the finishing touch.
Try to find time and taste the sauce between each step.
How does it taste, what else does it need to satisfy your cravings?
All that might sound like “magic” but it’s just simple calculation of ingredient dosage and cooking technique.
My lemon Pasta Sauce is for all those who enjoy discovering great flavors and for those who enjoy Indian food.
Mustard seeds, Turmeric Powder and Yoghurt are some of the few easily available ingredients involved here.
This makes it also a great easy and quick weeknight dinner recipe.
I cook the lemon pasta sauce quite frequently in my house and it’s one of our favorites.
Related Pasta Recipes:
Last week Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic interviewed me for her fun Burning Down the Kitchen Series.
Kim was so kind to place me into a pretty light and I shared some more details about my life in the interview.
Oh and did I mention that Kim’s Sesame Chicken looks much better then my ooold picture?
Well check it out and head over to the full Interview here.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 flat Tablespoon brown (or black) Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 5 Tablespoons Yoghurt
- 5 Tablespoons Cream
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Chopped Coriander Leafs
- Cook your pasta according to the package instructions. Strain and keep aside.
- In a pan add the Olive oil and Mustard seeds, cover the pot and keep on low heat.
- Temper the mustard seeds for a minute (they will pop, be careful!) then uncover and continue to add in the chopped Garlic, Fry for another 1 minute.
- Next add in the Turmeric powder, The yoghurt and cream, salt and pepper. Mix and cook for 5 minutes or until the Sauce has reduced a bit and has thickened.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and then only add the Lemon Juice. Lemon Juice alters taste when heated up and turns bitter, so that the flavors remain pure and well rounded, you need to add it only once the sauce has cooled down a bit.
- Serve the sauce warm on the cooked pasta and garnish with chopped Coriander leafs.