My mum started to make that cake when I was around 7 years old, but first just after Christmas time.
Back then I was shocked at the Idea of a Carrot cake, simply because I didn't like Carrots at that age, which was by the way caused by the famous vegetable soup, which my mum would make too often.
Anyway, when I had my first bite of the carrot cake, I fell in love with it instantly, so that I asked my mum every year to make it for my birthday.
That's how it all started!
So, today I wanted to share my mums recipe with you, because I believe one should share something special with their friends on such a day.
The recipe was barely changed since my mum handed it over, I only reduced the butter amount a bit and this time I have used whipping cream icing to finish the cake nicely.
My mum used to make a chocolate Ganache, if you want you can try that as well.
Now I just wished I could share a piece with you all!!
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Carrot Cake Recipe
For the Carrot Cake:
For the Cake frosting:
- 8.45 milliliter Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoon White Sugar
- First of all make sure that your Carrots are grated. You will need a good amount of 600 grams to make the cake. Once they are all grated, keep aside. Scrape 150 grams fresh Coconut or use packed one and keep aside as well.
- Grab a huge Mixing bowl and add the Flour, Baking Powder, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon Powder and Salt. (The Brown Sugar we get here is super dark, the one I am used to in Europe is much lighter in color, which is better for the cake color, that is why the cake appears to contain chocolate in the picture ^.^). Mix the whole content!
- Now, make a well into the center of the flour sugar mixture and break in the eggs and pour in the oil and rum.. Mix well!
- Continue with the scraped Coconut, add it and mix it smooth.
- The same with the grated Carrots. Add it all and carefully mix it all well to a smooth Cake mixture.
- Now Preheat the oven for 5 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius.
- Grab a big round Cake mold, grease it and dust it with flour a bit. That will help the cake to come out smoothly without breaking, once finished baked. Pour the whole cake mixture into the mold.
- Bake the Cake at 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius.. for about 50 - 55 minutes. Once you feel it should be finished baked, grab a knife and poke into the center to check if the cake is finished and well baked. If anything is left on the knife, it will need a couple of more minutes to get ready in the oven.
- Once it has cooled after baking, take the cake out carefully so that it doesn't break.
- In a cool bowl add the Whipping Cream and the Sugar and beat it well until stiff. Don't over beat it or it will kind of "break". (I did that once in college and it was a mess, had to start from scratch). just do it with the hand, doesn't take more then 2-3 minutes!
- Spread the Frosting evenly onto the cake surface and even on the sides. That's pretty fun because nothing ever falls off and you should be done in a minute or two. 😉
- Ready to be served!