When I say comfort food, I mean a dish such as this Cauliflower Potato Egg Bake. I have always had a list of comfort foods, which has been fixed and remained unchanged for years and years. However, I am more passionate about my comfort foods when I can share them with my husband. Sometimes I am disappointed by his judgment but if he approves, my joy and love for a dish can turn into a new obsession. If my husband enjoys a dish (God forbid!), it means that it is perfect as it is. Basta! This has been the case with other foods such as the Chicken Schnitzel, the Yogurt cake or the Gluten-free Cinnamon Star Cookies and I am happy to say that we can count the cauliflower potato egg bake as another ultimate comfort dish in our house.
Originally, the recipe was inspired by my mum, who would boil an egg or two, cook the cauliflower and potato and prepare the bechamel sauce all separately. She would serve all this for lunch with some canned tuna and a green salad covered in a french vinaigrette and we would enjoy it the most on cold and wet days. It’s the perfect ingredients combinations. cauliflower goes well with potato and boiled egg and the bechamel sauce turns it into a well rounded dish but add some canned tuna and you are in food heaven!
The first time I made this for my husband, he said it was ok. Then I made it again and he wasn’t that happy. I was so annoyed! I did not give up because why on earth would somebody not enjoy this, right? So I came up with a solution by turning the recipe into a cheesy bake. You see my husband can’t resist a good crunchy layer of cheese and of course the right cheese with this dish makes it all the more interesting. That was the turning point and I found out that small additions of food flavors or textures could change my husband’s full perception and experience for a dish.
I was told later on that I should not dare to change this recipe and my husband did ask why the cauliflower potato egg bake hadn’t been shared yet on this page. Well,… here we go with the recipe today. You can prepare the cauliflower potato egg bake as a side dish or stand alone Veg dish, I leave that up to you. I reduced the amount of cheese in the recipe but feel free to increase that amount.
Do you have a comfort food which your dear one doesn’t enjoy?
- Rinse and Cut the Cauliflower into bite size chunks. Peel, rinse and quarter your potatoes. Boil cauliflower and potato until soft but not mushy for about 14 minutes. Keep aside.
- Boil the Eggs for 10-12 minutes hard. Crack, keep under cold water and peel. Cut the boiled eggs into quarters, keep aside.
- Add half amount of the grated cheese to the bechamel sauce and mix well.
- Place the cauliflower chunks, potato and egg quarters into an oven proof dish. Top with the cheesy bechamel and the other half amount of grated cheese as shown.
- Keep under grill for 10-15 minutes.
- Best served hot with canned tuna flakes and a green salad.
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- 13 Tasty Paneer Recipes - May 28, 2015
- Salmon Tagliatelle Recipe - May 24, 2015
- Recheado Masala Recipe – How to make Goan Recheado Masala Paste - May 21, 2015