Stuffed Okra with a spicy red Goan Recheado paste is a delicacy, which can be enjoyed as a snack or serve it simply with the all famous Goan fish curry rice. The vegan stuffed okra, also known as ladyfinger/bhende, are quickly prepared and fried in a pan with little oil and add flavor and zing to your palate.
Yet, for some reason people feel reluctant to buy okras in stores in Europe and the reason for that is the lack of western recipes featuring okras.
I feel, okra is one of those basic healthy vegetable produce, which one can easily incorporate into dishes and therefore I will be sharing more okra recipes here at some point.
Today, I am not sharing a western ladyfinger recipe so I am not very helpful in this regard, however these popular goan recheado paste stuffed okras are absolutely worth a bite.
The paste is spicy but when the okras are stuffed with it and fried, the aroma automatically gets absorbed within the okra, which make the vegetable juicy and flavorful form the inside. The heat is reduced in that way, and you are left with a little but tongue tickling delicacy.
Rechead or Recheado Masala paste is a Portuguese influenced red paste with vinegar, dried red chilies and spices as main ingredients. It’s an essential in any goan kitchen and a versatile paste to use as stuffing for bangde (mackerels) and to use as a stir fry paste with seafood such as prawns and squids.
In India, Okras are also known as Ladyfingers, which confused me at first. Another common name in the subcontinent is Bhende and all its different, but similar, name variations. So if you are in a market in India use ladyfinger or bhende because nobody will understand what you want with okra.
When preparing Okra, make sure to follow these tips:
- buy and use only very green, fresh looking and hard (unbendable) okras
- wash your okra well under cool water
- tap the okra dry after washing, so that the okras don’t get too slimy when cutting them into pieces. The okra has a substance when cut open turns slimy when it comes into contact with water. Another way to reduce the sliminess is to add lemon juice or vinegar (acid) to the okra while cooking, that breaks down the irritating slime (but that depends on the recipe).
- depending on the recipe, cut into bits, very thick slices or just slit it to create a pocket to add stuffing into the okra.
- Use the okra directly in your cooking, don’t store the cut pieces in the fridge for too long.
How to make stuffed okra video:
Fried Stuffed Okra with Goan Recheado Paste – Ladyfinger/Bhende stuffed with spicy red Vinegar Masala Paste Indian Recipe:
- a dozen fresh Okra, all approx. the same size
- 1-2 Tablespoon Recheado Masala (Goan red Vinegar Paste)
- 1-2 Tablespoon Oil to fry
- Wash your fresh Okra well and tap them dry. Cut off both ends of all the okra. Then slit the okra in such a way that you create a "pocket".
- With a spoon stuff the okra with the recheado paste and keep aside.
- Heat up a pan with the oil and place the okra into the pan.
- Cook on all sides for about 3 minutes and stir fry frequently. Make sure to cook them until they get a bit soft and the paste touching the pan will get a bit black, which is normal and suppose to happen, and at that point you can take the stuffed okra from the heat.
- Serve hot with Goan dishes such as rice curry or with other Indian rice curry dishes. I like to snack on the stuffed okra.
Dishes to serve with the stuffed okra
- Goan Fish Curry Rice
- Goan Dal
- Drumstick Curry (Drumstick is a vegetable)
- Prawn Curry
- Lemon Rice
- Goan Meatball Curry
- Beef Chili fry
- Ambade Curry
More Goan side dishes to serve with rice and curry
- Breadfruit fried
- Gavar Bhaji (Chitjomito/cluster beans)
- Tambdi Bhaji – Red Amaranth leafes
- Cabbage Bhaji
- Snake Gourd Bhaji
- Bitter Melon Bhaji (Karela)
- Ivy Gourd Bhaji (Tendli)
- Yard long beans Bhaji (Iriel)
- Ridge Gourd Bhaji (Luffa vegetable)
- Ladyfinger Bhaji (Bhende)
- Spicy stuffed Aubergine (Brinjal)
Dear Reader, do you cook with okra frequently?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Oven Baked Tandoori Chicken Recipe | How to make easy Tandoori Chicken with Marinade [+Video] - April 22, 2017
- Easy Tandoori Paste Recipe – How to make Tandoori Masala Spice Mix Marination [+Video] - April 15, 2017
- Fried Stuffed Okra with Goan Recheado Paste – How to make stuffed Okra [+Video] – Ladyfinger/Bhende Recipe - April 11, 2017