My Greek Salad Recipe, as the name suggests, is a Greek inspired salad prepared with fresh vegetables, original kalamata olives and firm feta cheese.
Learn more about feta cheese and what is in a greek salad further below:
Feta is a white firm grainy cheese which has been produced from sheep and goat milk for many aeons in Greece, Turkey and also the Balkans.
White cheese that has been made from cows milk can’t be called Feta and in fact similar cow milk white cheese variations are also common under different names in the Mediterranean area.
Feta cheese might sound exotic to some of us, but it has attracted lots of attention in Europe and that’s mostly due to the introduction of the classic Greek Salad Recipe in the last decades.
So what better way then to follow the foot steps of the past to introduce Feta cheese to my readers in India (and of course the rest of the world too but today it’s more about India).
I am aware of the fact that Feta Cheese is not always available all over India, however the subcontinent has been catching up. I did notice a surge in homemade products and organic feta cheese from local (foreigners)/small businesses in Goa in the past 10 years.
However, recently I have noticed some kind of push in this direction by Indian dairy producers. So, India has the choice of manufactured perfectly packed feta cheese and carefully crafted artisan feta cheese now! Looks like the “Make in India” campaign can bring us more variety and choices then ever before.
In 2017 you get Feta Cheese produced in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Delhi and Goa.
I salute the ones who have been able to produce cheese in this wet tropical climate and we are all glad that they have motivated this country to try and indulge new food products and this gives us reason to enjoy this Greek Salad Recipe all the more!
No doubt, Feta cheese produced locally always has a priority compared to imported cheese but of course it depends again where it originated and if it is highly branded.
Some in Goa have been importing feta cheese from smaller farmers in Greece and those are usually known to be reliably tasty. On the other hand I and others have come across branded feta cheese, and mostly globally well known brands, which are not necessarily bad but most of those do lack the “freshness” and organic h0memade points which would turn me into a regular customer and fan of the product.
Feta Cheese is definitely available in the Indian metros and one can also buy it online, but to find artisan feta cheese might still be a trouble in cities such as Delhi and Bangalore.
Have you, in your Indian city, come across homemade/organic quality feta cheese made in India? If yes, which has been your favorite? Please share your exciting food finds with us in a comment.
In the meantime I am sharing my take on the all famous Greek salad recipe. Feel free to cut the veggies the way you want or just follow my way.
Useful info and topic related link tip! —> How to Make Feta Cheese (And WhyYou Shouldn’t) via NoshOn.it
Greek Salad Recipe with Dressing below:
- 5 smaller Tomatoes
- 1 small Cucumber
- 2 small Onions
- ½ small Capsicum
- 150 grams firm Feta cheese or ¾ cup crumbled Feta
- about 10 olives (kalamata brine olives preferred if possible)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ Tablespoon Vinegar
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- dried Oregano as garnish
- Wash all your veggies. Cut your tomatoes into dice, peel the cucumber if needed and half the cucumber and cut into thin slice.
- Peel the onions and cut into thin rings and also cut the capsicum into rings.
- Cut your Feta into cubes (or crumble) and add all the ingredients including the olives into a salad bowl.
- For the dressing mix the olive oil vinegar, salt and pepper well.
- Cover your salad with the dressing and garnish with dried oregano.
- Best enjoyed cooled and serve with vegetable kebabs, bbq grilled meat, veggies etc.
More Salad and Dressing Ideas:
- Surimi Crab Salad with Curry Mayo Dressing
- Couscous Paneer Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Caprese Salad – Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil
- Savory Fruit Salad
- Yogurt Lime Dressing
- Wild Flower Salad
- Ivy Gourd Salad (Tendli)
- Quail Egg Salad
- Iceberg Salad with Thousand Island Dressing
More Cheese Recipes:
- Paneer Korma – Indian Cottage Cheese Curry
- Fried Momos with Veg Cheese filling
- Palak Paneer – Spinach and Indian Cottage Cheese Curry
- Chicken Roll-ups with Ham and Cheese
- Rice Patties with Carrot and Cheese
- Paneer Pancakes
- Ham and Cheese Crescents
- Mutter Paneer – Peas and Cottage Cheese Curry
- Cheese Souffle
- Pressknödel – Cheese Patties/flat dumplings
Dear reader, do you prepare salads frequently at home?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- 30 Minutes Pan-Fried Salmon in White Wine Sauce with Tagliatelle Pasta Recipe - March 28, 2017
- Fragrant Rice Recipe with Clove – Easy Aromatic Rice Side Dish – How to make fragrant rice - March 24, 2017
- Simple Caprese Salad – Italian Tomato Mozzarella Basil Olive Oil Insalate – How to make Caprese Salad - March 23, 2017