I have been in love with this fragrant rice recipe infused with clove since ever! The Clove rice is an aromatic rice side dish which is easily prepared and usually served with western dishes such as roast Chicken with herbs or Chicken with Mushroom White Wine Sauce.
Learn how to make the fragrant rice recipe with clove further below and get the recipe with step by step pictures:
Rice is one of those essential must have staples all over the world. It’s just so common, loved and enjoyed that there are even folks living on it every single day.
I grew up with lots of rice in the house too but we rather used it as a side with western recipes. I mentioned before that my mum would make an easy roast chicken with fresh thyme, garlic and mushrooms for Sunday dinner and with that she would always serve a fragrant rice recipe with clove.
The same rice recipe was commonly taught to us in college, so it’s a common rice side dish in Europe. The fragrant rice recipe is quite versatile and goes well too with other meat meals such as the Blanquette de veau a l’ancienne or even the Pork Fillet with mushrooms and potatoes.
Now I am big fan of Basmati Rice and since I am living in India I get all kinds of Basmati rice types to buy. If you go to a local shop here you get a whole lots of choice when it’s about rice and pulses.
At first you will not see the goods because an untrained foreign eye doesn’t recognize the principle of disordered Indian shops with their minuscule rooms. You reach the shop look around and 5 other folks come at the same time, rubbing at your shoulders, telling the shop keeper what they came for before you have even the chance to collect your thoughts and realize what you want.
The shop keeper might not even understand your uttering words and you try to speak some broken local Hindi or other Indian language, which by the way makes it just worse because your tongue can’t make the difference between a t, T and th.
But if and if only you get to the point where you finally communicate with hands and feet, so that you get to see bags full of gorgeous different rice types, you end up hurrying since the mosquito hordes suck your last drop of blood. Hey at least you get some rice choices which you would never get in a village in the European alps!
On top of that quality, rice at a very convenient price for a foreigner. Here you pass the streets holding tight on your rice bag with a big smile in your face because you could actually live on that bag for a few weeks! Unbelievable but true.
Fortunately for online shops and super markets, we get to shop the western way these days and I have finaly learned to shop groceries the Indian way stress-free. 🙂
Fragrant Rice Recipe with Clove – Easy Aromatic Rice Side Dish – How to make fragrant rice below:
- 100 grams Basmati Rice or ½ cup
- 200 milliliter Water or 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- 1 Onion
- 1 dozen Cloves
- Wash your rice a few times under water until the water is clear. Place the rice with the recommended water into a pot and add a pinch of salt. Keep on a slow to medium flame.
- Grab an onion, cut off ends, peel and cut into half . Poke the Cloves into the Onion.
- Place both Onion ends with the Cloves into/on top of the cooking rice. Don't mix the rice at this point. Just allow it to cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is fluffy cooked but not sticky over cooked. (although I like mine sticky)
- Take out the onion pieces with all the cloves and discard. Mix the rice properly and strain any excess rice water. Serve hot as a side with meat or veg meals.
Cooking with rice ideas for rice junkies:
- Lemon Rice
- Coriander Rice
- Rice Patties with Carrot and Cheese
- Pineapple Fried Rice
- Kanji Rice
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Rice
- Rice Cantaloupe Breakfast Bowl
- Phovu – Rice Flakes
- Mushroom and Pea Pulao
Serve the fragrant rice with clove with:
- Chicken Schnitzel
- Veal Cordon Bleu
- Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Beef Steak with Herb Butter
- Pork Crépinettes – Pork meat parcels
- Rabbit in red Wine Sauce
- Salmon en Papillot – parchment cooked Salmon fish
- Beef Goulash – Spiced Beef Gravy
- Hunter’s Schnitzel with Chanterelle Mushrooms
Dear Reader, did you grow up with lot of rice in your childhood?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- 30 Minutes Pan-Fried Salmon in White Wine Sauce with Tagliatelle Pasta Recipe - March 28, 2017
- Fragrant Rice Recipe with Clove – Easy Aromatic Rice Side Dish – How to make fragrant rice - March 24, 2017
- Simple Caprese Salad – Italian Tomato Mozzarella Basil Olive Oil Insalate – How to make Caprese Salad - March 23, 2017