Let’s start this post with an apology. You might have noticed that a few recipes/articles had been missing here at Masala Herb in the past weeks. I had a good reason but it’s definitely not an excuse. You see, my parents had come down to Goa from Europe for the first time and we had been planning this for years but apparently I didn’t plan it enough because the weeks before their arrival I ended up with a nasty cold. Wild headaches took me down and my ability to cook something delicious was shadowed by the fact that I couldn’t taste any flavors due to the common cold. Well, at least now you are certain that this blog is written by just a regular human and not a bot…Anyway, I don’t want to bore you today. In fact I did prepare and clicked the pictures of this Potato Broccoli Leek Cream Soup ages ago and finally you get to enjoy it for yourself. While I was suffering of the common cold I couldn’t taste a bit but the warming creamy texture of this soup lifted my mood when I needed it the most. Also when my parents where here last week, I had prepared the Potato Broccoli Leek Cream Soup once again and I got two more thumbs up, besides my husband’s, and a green light to share it with the world.
I did mention in a few previous posts that broccoli was quite easily available in Goa, or at least around the coastline. We lucky folks even get organic fresh deep green broccoli, which is stuffed with pure flavors and nutrition. The other day a friend of mine told me that she saw this vegetable in the market here but at the time she had no clue how she should prepare broccoli and how she could use it in her cooking. Therefore, I thought I would share a little step by step instruction so that you get the most out of your fresh broccoli while preparing it in the kitchen. It’s fairly easy to use the greens. You cut the broccoli florets, peel the woody stem parts and cut the stem as well into smaller chunks and voilà, now you can enjoy your broccoli together with the potato and leek in this creamy and wonderful homemade soup. Enjoy!
- 1 Leek (about 60 grams)
- 300 grams Broccoli
- 2 Potatoes (about 230 grams)
- 3 Garlic Pods
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 800 milliliter Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Pepper according to your taste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Juniper Seeds
- 150 milliliter liquid Cream
- At first let's prepare the vegetables. Rinse your leek, cut into half lengthwise and cut into slices.
- For the Broccoli rinse well, cut off the florets as shown, then half the stem and peel/remove the woody parts of the broccoli. Cut the stem into smaller pieces.
- For the potato just peel and cut into inch big pieces and for the garlic just peel and chop fine.
- In a pot add the oil and fry your leek slices and the chopped garlic for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Then add the broccoli and potato and stir fry for a minute. Continue to add in the water and throw in the salt, pepper, bay leaf and juniper seeds.
- Cook the veggies until soft, around 15-20 minutes long, then pick out the bay leaf and juniper seeds and discard the leaf and seeds.
- Add the cream to the veggie soup and puree to a smooth consistency, preferably over the running stove.
- Best served hot with garlic bread.
What have you been up to recently in your kitchen?
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Carrot Apple Ginger Juice – Fresh juice for a healthier you - January 21, 2017
- Winter Veal Stew – French Ragout Recipe - January 16, 2017
- Spice Garden Goa – Spice Plantation & Farm in India - January 9, 2017